Author Topic: RCBS rock chucker or Redding boss press?  (Read 977 times)

Offline doninva

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
RCBS rock chucker or Redding boss press?
« on: January 27, 2010, 03:42:03 AM »
I realize these are two very good presses and will do everything you would want. I was just wondering what were some features of both presses. I had a rock chucker years ago and remember the primer catcher was good but the boss look different. Does it work well. The primer systems look to be different on both. Any pluses or minuses would be appricated. I'm going to order one of these in the next couple of days. Thanks, Don

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: RCBS rock chucker or Redding boss press?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 06:37:23 AM »
Obviously you can not go wrong with either one. I have an older Rock Chucker and I still use it. RCBS warranty is top notch, but you will more than likely not need it. The biggest complaint I have about it is the way it handles spent primers. The tray they have lets the little buggers bounce all over. I "fixed" the problem by punching out the primers before hand on a cheap Lee press (I also use it to pull bullets) with a universal de-priming die. I am not sure if the newer Rock Chucker presses handle the spent primers better or not. I think the Boss drops them down a tube into a trash bucket or jar. This, in my mind is better, but it is all personal preference, isn't it?
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 12:44:22 PM »
I have one of the Redding Boss presses , I HATE the way it deals with spent primers , there is a little cup that is held in place by a magnet and the spent primers drop out the side of the ram and into the cup -- Once in awhile !

I also have the Big Boss II and just love its primer catcher , a tube that comes out near the bottom of the ram and right into the trash can =  ;D ;D ;D ;D

stimpy

Note , for the price difference , get the BB II  ;)
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline gary0529

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 02:39:43 AM »
I realize that I am straying a bit from the original question but also take a look at the Forster Co-Ax.
I have both the RC and Redding BigBoss 1 and even a Lee single stage but find that I go to the Forster Co-Ax 90% of the time except for large runs of pistol ammo that gets churned out on the progressive.

Costs are not too far apart and I believe that the Co-Ax puts out a better bullet and the leverage is outstanding.
Just my $.02

Gary

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 03:05:57 AM »
The main selling point in the Redding press's, is the front support is offset. So your not working from the side when putting brass into the shellholder. Stimpylu is right, as far as the primer catcher. If you get a Redding press, get the one with the spent primer thru the ram. I've got the T-7 press with that, and just put a coffee can under it. Works great. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman