Author Topic: forming brass 357 herret brass  (Read 671 times)

Offline kevin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
forming brass 357 herret brass
« on: October 07, 2003, 12:19:45 PM »
I came across some old infmation about using 375 winchester brass, for the 357 herret , and I slike a whole lot better, the article, was on the internet and some how I deleted it and can't seem to find it,I forgot to put it in my favorites and whent to another spot, double darn, if anyone knows of the site please let me know.
    Anyway it is a bounch easier to work with, i did some measuring and comparing formed and not yet fireformed 30-30 win brass and compared fire formed brass and it is remarkably the same do anyone out there doing this or using 375win brass, and what loading are you using as of right now 180 grain hornady ssp and 180 grain xtp's are being run out of it with 28.0 grains of IMR 4198 for some wierd reason i'm getting awsome accuracy out to 100 yards with the worst 5 round gruop of 5/8's of an inch out of a 10 " factory barrrel for right now i'll be using the 30-30 brass for this loading untill the 375 winchester is worked with.
     Deer season here in georgia (gun hunting) stars in my zone in 2 weeks
 and I plane on knocking down at least one with it.
                                                  Kevin
TOS violation warning given 4-2-05 Account deactivated 4-5-05. E-mail GB to get reinstated.

Offline IronMonkey

yup!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 02:40:37 AM »
I used 375 win brass for my 30-30 AI brass.  I have 100 that will be used in the case of hunting so that I don't have to worry quite as much.  I had to run it through my regular 30-30 seater die first to get the shoulder as the 40 degree ackley should tended to crunch the case.  Plus I actually had to neck turn the brass to fit into my contender barrel.  I like tinkering so it wasn't a big deal.  It is way stronger brass though and that is a good thing.  Dan
Gun control is shooting 40x40!

Offline Swany

forming brass 357 herret brass
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 11:51:09 AM »
Get a 375 h & h expander for a lee die it is long and tapered, use it to make a straight wall out of a 30-30 case and the run it in your herret trim die. If you want to save some more get a 38-55 form die from lee at the same time, one stroke and you have a case that has a resized body and plus expanded to the right size for your trimmer.
Take care and have fun. Swany

Offline drichi

• Trade Count: (1)
375 Win brass
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 01:36:27 PM »
I have used 375 win brass to make my 357 herett cases with great success.I shoot the hornady 180 ssp bullets in my 10 inch barrel. accuracy is very good with h 4227. I use a redding form die and trim to make them. a little imperial sizing wax and 32 tooth hacksaw blade and it dosn't  take long to make them. neck thickness is fine in both 357 herrett and 30 herrett. drichi :-)