Author Topic: new to reloading ?s load density %  (Read 591 times)

Offline presdme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
new to reloading ?s load density %
« on: January 31, 2010, 05:32:05 AM »
Never have relaoded one cartridge, brand new so go easy on me. I just purchased a lee anniversary kit with the 308 pacesetter dies and modern reloading 2ond edition. I want to use barnes tsx 165s, and ttsx 130s, winchester brass, federal 210 primers and varget powder. On barnes website the load data says the most accurate load for the 130gr and 165gr uses varget powder. Under maximum coluum for the 130gr the load density is 106%. On the 165gr it is 101%. How do you get more in than it will hold? Does that mean I might have to pack the powder or what? Once again I am a reloading virgin so go easy !!  ;D ;D

Offline haleconst

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: new to reloading ?s load density %
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 06:05:14 AM »
It sounds like they are compression loads. To get all powder in the case put 1/3 of your load in the case and tap it 9 or 10 time, put in 2nd 1/3 and tap you will be suprised how much your case will hold doing that. That load is designed for the bullet to compress the powder. Be very careful starting with either one of those loads because they are probally max loads. Everything that you will read or hear will tell you never start with a max load not knowing how your firearm will handle them. It is recommended to start 10% below max.
David
"Death is certain and the end is always near".
www.fishcandies.com prostaff

Offline presdme

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 06:18:23 AM »
Thanks, I will start at minimum charge for sure. Being new I just didnt know you could pack in more than it says the case will hold. That seems a little scary to me. Hopefully my H&R will shoot good before max loads.THANKS again and good huntin!!!!
Its true Jesus is the answer!!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 09:57:29 AM »
Personally I do not shoot compressed loads much. I like about 90% - 95% loads best. Tapping the case as the powder goes in or using a long drop tube helps keep the powder from taking up so much room. If that does not get the powder down enough so the bullet does not compress the powder, I seat the bullet out further or switch powders. You generally run into compressed loads when using a slow burning powder for the size case. I have not shot large capacity, bottle necked cases (magnums) where real slow burning powders are needed. So I get good results using a medium burning powder for the case capacity, then I do not have to worry about compression. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 10:10:15 AM »
Thats what I shoot for. 90-95%. If I was you Id buy some cheaper bullets to start with. Just to get your feet wet. Kinda get your reloading figured out.. Before shooting the high dollar stuff. Have fun & dont be afraid to ask these guys questions. Lots of info here.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline presdme

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 11:50:20 AM »
Thanks all for trhe help!!

Offline hillbill

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 01:08:14 PM »
heres a trick u can try, put yur powder funnel over the case and slowly sprinkle the powder in it from as far above it as yu can. sprinkle, sprinkle, same idea as useing a drop tube.between just dumpin it in and useing this method, yu can gain at least a grain in capacity, without compressing the load.not that i got anything agin a slightly compressed load, they do work. but usually there is a better powder that will take up less space.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 01:32:56 PM »
I myself like compressed loads and feel they are more accurate. I just tap the side of the case with my finger a few times and it seems to settle the powder.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.