Author Topic: Tasco scopes  (Read 1334 times)

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
Tasco scopes
« on: January 20, 2010, 07:05:55 AM »
I have two tasco scopes (don't ask why) one made in china, one made in Japan
is one any better that the other? I think one is an antelope model if that matters
the other has no model # and is older.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Tasco scopes
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 07:12:22 AM »
The Japan scope is probably a decent scope considering its age, lacks modern lens coatings tho, all bets are off on the China scope.

Tim

http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh/brand.html#tasco

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 07:47:49 AM »
The Japan scope is probably a decent scope considering its age, lacks modern lens coatings tho, all bets are off on the China scope.

Tim

http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh/brand.html#tasco

[/quote

thanks Quick, so neither one is very good.
Rex

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 08:07:15 AM »
The Japan-made scope is better than the whole raft of China crappola that's out there today, coatings or not.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 08:11:52 AM »
Never had one that held up . Think it was the pronghorn that the cross hairs would fall down . Had one high end but it messed up also. World class maybe and there was one other .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Reverend Recoil

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 02:40:41 AM »
I had two Tasco scopes go bad in one week.  I am through with them.

Offline Huffmanite

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 11:59:24 AM »
Around 1990, I bought a Tasco (Japan) 3-9X40 illuminated scope from a Sears Clearance store and put it in a closet where it stayed till I got back into guns and shooting about 5 years ago.  I don't hunt, just shoot paper at local range. Mounted it on a 257R mauser sporter and it performed well, very clear optics and held zero.  Replaced it with a higher power scope and the Tasco then went on a 30-06 rifle I had purchased.  Well, my Tasco has now been on at least 4 different rifles by now: 257Rs thru 30-06s and is still good.   I've had several of my fellow shooters at range view thru my Tasco lens and they made very positive comments on the quality of its lens, and these guys were Leopold, Nikon users.  So, can't comment on Tasco scopes made after 1990, but my pre 1990 Japan made Tasco has been a good scope.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 10:14:04 AM »
It took me just over 100 rounds of 12 gauge, 2 3/4" buckhammers slugs, through a hastings barrel on a Beretta 303 autoloader before I destroyed a Japanese Silver Antler 3x9x40 RIFLE scope.  The scope had no issues on the 7MM Mag Remington Bolt gun I liberated it from.  It was okay for target plinking, which is all I ever did with it, but I would NOT risk a good hunting trip on one, Japanese or Chinese.  Just over $200 gets you into a low end Leupold.
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline 243shooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 11:50:25 AM »
does anyone here have experience with tasco's warranty? i put a 6x24x42 varmit scope on a .243 and to make a long story short i couldn't hit anything smaller than than a paper plate at 25 yds. i switched scopes and fixed my problems. after i pulled the tasco off i discovered that the tube was dented. i think i damaged it when mounting it in windage adj. rings. anyhow, it's supposed to have a full warranty on it. should i send it in and hope they do something for me, or just cut my loses and toss it? i hate to throw away $110.00, but i don't wan't to pay to ship it there and back and then throw it away. sorry if i highjacked your thread.
I'm just a bitter Christian clinging to my gun.

Offline 870wing

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 02:17:26 AM »
Hi Guys,

I had a few Tascos over the years. They all had problems with the crosshairs except for the Tasco Titan. The Titan model is in another class... so was the price. My Titan was purchased before Bushnell bought out Tasco. It's a 1.6x6 with a 30mm tube. It's been riding on my Ruger 77 in 30-06 and has not lost it's zero. At dusk it appears brighter and clearer than the Leupold Varix-3, 1.5x6 ,on my brother inlaw's rifle. Even the brother inlaw admitted that this Tasco out performed his Leupold at dusk. I don't know wht the newer Titans are like, since Tasco has been taken over. Any one have the newer scopes ? 

Take care

870Wing

Offline Redford Bohica

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 08:03:30 AM »
Over the last 4 decades I have used the Japanese-manufactured Tasco's on everything from .22 Magnum up to 338. Win Mag. ; in rain as well as sub-zero temperatures, not to mention being bounced around in the cab of a pick-up truck, and have had no problems with any of them.  I currently have four of them on various rifles. As for the Chinese-manufactured Tasco's, I've only ever used two. Optical clarity sure isn't the best, but they have (so far)  held their zero. I currently have one of these Chinese jobs  in 4X on a NEF Handi-Rifle barrel in .357 Magnum.

Over the years I have used and currently own Bushnell, Burris, Redfield, Weaver (El Paso & post El Paso), Simmons, Tasco, and the "much vaunted" Leupold. I only ever had problems with three; I had the entire rear lense assembly in the eyepiece of a Weaver K-4 actually drop out of the eyepiece housing, and a K-6 (all steel model) that fogged up. I trashed the K-4, but sent back the K-6 for repair. I also had to send a Leupold back three times; this one got so ugly that a post I made on Savageshooters.com and gunsandgame.com about this one was immediately deleted by the site administators, so I won't go into that one here.

The point of all of this is that it's all pretty much a crap-shoot. All of us who post here can tell you of our experiences, but the only way you're really going to know is to buy the scope of your choice and put it through its paces yourself.

Red

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 11:18:51 AM »
Tasco World Class and World Class Plus scopes made in Japan were good scopes. Mechancially they were solid and optically for their time they were quite good but not nearly so good as scopes today.

They have gone thru two ownership changes since those days. Nothing from the two original owners carries any warranty today and now that Bushnell owns them they are keeping the name alive but only with low cost and apparently low quality as well. I'm not sure what warranty they now carry but unless it says Bushnell somewhere on the box it came in there is no warranty and if it does there is but a very limited warranty.

You need to accept the fact that if you are gonna buy cheap you should just expect to toss it and get another when they break. It's why buying cheap is not really a cost saving move in the long run.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 09:19:39 AM »
If the two i have hadn't been on barrels i traded for, i wouldn't have them,
heard too much bad stuff.
I have 3 Muellers now thanks to Quick turning me on to them.
My Gunsmith talked me into a NIKKO nightblaster this weekend, we will see.
Rex