Author Topic: Is a 308 Enough for Elk ?  (Read 2872 times)

Offline roper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Is a 308 Enough for Elk ?
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 03:52:40 AM »
Truth is that if I lived out west and hunted elk on a regular basis I would own a 300 Winchester mag but I'm an Alabama guy thinking of going out there with a rifle I already own. Thanks again for all the input.

Let me ask a question is this true or just a fairy tale

"Reason for the question is that a .308 is the longest range caliber I own. I have a 454 Casull rifle and pistol, a 460 S&W Magnum and a 500 S&W Magnum pistol for sheer knock down power. Am thinking of adding a 20 inch 500 S&W mag barrel to my Encore collection and just not worry about not enough power for a clean kill on big critters."

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2010, 04:52:33 AM »
Here's a couple of pieces written by an elk guide in Montana.  Since we've repeatedly been told that locals and experts like the smaller calibers I thought his take was interesting.

On the 7-08
http://montanaelkhunting.blogspot.com/2009/07/7-08-elk-rifle-wannabe.html

On the 308, 7-08, and 243
http://montanaelkhunting.blogspot.com/2009/07/308-7mm-08-243.html

Offline 243dave

• A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2010, 06:43:37 AM »
 Dukkillr, The article on the 7mm-08 was interesting.  To me it sounded more of a problem with bullet performance than cartridge performance.  Bullet and ammo companies shouldn't build the same bullets for a 7mm-08 and a 7mm mag, but they do.  Of course you should test a bullet out on a deer before you apply it on game such as elk.  I know a deer is no elk but if your bullet will break both shoulders of a nice deer and exit it will break at least the first shoulder and make it to the vitals of an elk.  And if your bullet will reliably expand on the ribs of a deer they will surely do so on an elk.  I guess what I'm trying to say is bullet construction trumps what cartridge you use.  Use a well constructed bullet that still expands well at the velocity that you are shooting and has been tried and true over a few deer seasons and I believe a 7mm-08 or 308 should be just fine.       

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2010, 12:32:42 PM »
Roper, all I wrote is true. Which part sounds like a fairy tale ? Other than my 454 Casull rifle, all my big bores are pistols. Worst critters we have here in Alabama are deer and hogs. I'm was just asking about the longest range rifle I own. Up close and personal, inside of 100 yards, I have a heap of toys that will do the job.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2010, 12:56:51 PM »
When I first moved to the West I wanted to go Elk hunting and started to read everything I could about the rifles and ammo.
Everyone said 300 Win mag as a base.  When I started to read about 300 Win I found it was made in the late 50's shot the same bullets as my 308, but 200 to 300 FPS faster.  All it did was change the trajectory and extend the range.  When I read that they did not like 30-30 but said 44 Mag was a great elk pistol round, I smelled something fishey.  The 30-30 has much more horse power than the 44 mag.  The handgun barely breaks 1,000 foot pound and the 30-30 has more than twice that.
Yardage being the big factor.  Hunting with a handgun you will be well with in 50 yardds much like Archery.
My next question was before the elk slaying 300 Win came out what did people use for elk? and found, 30-30, 32 Win Special, 30-06, 30-40Krag, 45-70 and even pistol rounds like 44-40 and 45 Colt were used.  .50 Black powder front stuffers are used and they have about the power of a 44 Mag / 45-70 carbine depending on the weight and shape of the projectile.  
The question is not what will kill an Elk but how far away you need to be with that (rifle, shotgun, handgun, or Bow) you are from the animal.
I think you would be better armed with a 308 you use on a regular basis than a new super belted mag you do not shoot well.  My guide was not too happy to see me with a new looking Win Model 70 in 338 Win Mag.  Till he saw some knicks and scratches in the wood, metal and stock and asked what I had hunted with it before this trip.
What I did was go to sportmans warehouse and buy the elk targets.  It shows an X ray of the animal where the leg is as well as where the heart and lungs are.  (they also have them for coyote, deer, pigs and antelope
Buy them and practice shooting at the targets at different ranges before you go.  Either go with a heavy for caliber round or one of the lighter premium rounds like the Barns X that is light but still the same size as the heaver rounds.  The copper is lighter than the lead and you need more of it.  If you are willing to hold your shot and wait till you get with in 100 yards (most Elk are shot with in 100 yards) then bring one of your larger bores and just wait and sneak in or wait till they walk up to you.
Good luck on your tip.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2010, 11:34:24 PM »
After I had guided Dad into 4 elk, he was reading a bunch of "elk hunting" books in my library. Said he was glad he had 4 good seasons because those books had him convinced he wasn't in any shape, either physically or equipment wise, to be elk hunting - then we laughed. It's the same with your choice of weapon. It doesn't know how to read and sometimes we read too much and don't do enough. We handload and as I previously posted, our handloads are pretty equivalent to a properly loaded 308W. Dad's 4 elk and my 4 elk are pretty fair testimony of the adequacy of the rounds. Ya just gotta do it - with lots of practice.

McWoodduck - loved your post! Especially the "what did they use before..." Priceless! Great advice about the "game targets"!!
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2010, 02:36:38 AM »
I remember reading old guns and ammo magazines with articles by warren page. He killed truckloads of elk with the 243 6mm and 240 wb.
blue lives matter

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2010, 12:57:12 PM »
While I now know that my .308 will do the job on elk and other critters I decided to go ahead and get another barrel for my Encore frame that will take any critter that walks or crawls on this planet. There's a 20 inch 500 S&W Magnum barrel on the way. Always fun to have a rifle barrel that shoots the same round as one of your pistols. When you tack on the extra fps a rifle barrel gives you on a magnum pistol round the energy of this one gets on up there especially with the 400 and 440 grain bullets. Thanks to all of you for your replies and insight. 
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2010, 01:36:48 PM »
While I now know that my .308 will do the job on elk and other critters I decided to go ahead and get another barrel for my Encore frame that will take any critter that walks or crawls on this planet. There's a 20 inch 500 S&W Magnum barrel on the way. Always fun to have a rifle barrel that shoots the same round as one of your pistols. When you tack on the extra fps a rifle barrel gives you on a magnum pistol round the energy of this one gets on up there especially with the 400 and 440 grain bullets. Thanks to all of you for your replies and insight. 
It's not the energy but the shot placement and the 500 is going  to limit your shots to under 150- 200 yards
I would bring the 308 barrel with you as it is a 200 to 300 Yard limit.
If this is your first time elk hunting I would bring the rifle that gives you the best chance of hitting at all ranges.

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2010, 01:39:44 PM »
When the time comes both will make the trip as they're both barrels for one of my stainless Encore frames. The other frame I keep as the pistol length in my current avatar. Also shot placement is very important to me as my rifle is a single shot. With any gun I'll pass on a less than perfect shot rather than risk a poor one. Years ago I let a monster whitetail walk because he was going straight away from me and I wouldn't shoot him in the butt. The bolt 30-06 I had at the time would have surely killed him but that's just me. 

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2010, 04:44:38 PM »
Old John Rose, guide and outfitter in the Selway, said he killed elk for many many years with a 222 rem mag until someonetold him it was not big enough. Your 308 is an absolutely great elk cartridge.

To tell ya the truth when I guided elk hunters out west. I felt much more comfortable with the guys who came with standard calibers. Most of the greenhorn dudes showed up with a brand new magnum.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.