Author Topic: Shotgun scopes?  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Charlie Tango

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Shotgun scopes?
« on: January 20, 2010, 10:09:31 AM »
I missed a long shot at a new hunting spot that I would have never had a chance to take before at my old spot.  Now I am wondering if I need to invest in a scope.  My normal hunting spot has thick cover and I take 30 yard or less shots.  This new spot can offer up to 100 yard shots.
  Money is a little tight so I hope to find a nice scope at a fair price.  Also I hope to finde some scope mounts that will allow my to use my iron sight for those up close and personal shots.

What scope with a large eye relief would you recomend for my Ithaca moder 37 Deerslayer?

Offline 243dave

• A Real Regular
Re: Shotgun scopes?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 10:14:16 AM »
Charlie, I have a little 1.5-4.5x32 bushnell banner shotgun scope with duplex reticle mounted on my 45colt levergun and I love it.  For $70 I don't think you can do any better.  For me it turned my 45 trapper from a 75yd gun with open sights to a 150yd gun scoped.  I've never had any scope smaller than a 3-9 until this one and now I see what I was missing.  On 1.5 power it gives you the ability to shoot with both eyes open with a large FOV and quickly picking out your targets.  When set on 4.5 it is enough for 200yd shooting without problem.  The scope helps me alot at sunrise and sunset,  open sights is hard for aging eyes to pick up in dim light.  If you get a low powered scope like the banner you won't need (or use) see-thru mounts.  I can get off a round faster with the scope set on 1.5 power then I ever could with the factory irons.  If money is tight check on the banner, its lightweight, small, reasonably bright and has good eye-relief.  Dave

Offline 243dave

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 10:20:13 AM »
Heres a place where you can check out the specs,  4" of eye relief ain't bad. :)     Dave    http://swfa.com/Bushnell-15-45x32-Banner-Dusk-Dawn-Shotgun-Scope-P226.aspx

Offline skyhigh_seller

• Trade Count: (57)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 11:02:43 AM »
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,195841.0.html

A GBO sponsor posted this Pentax sale.  Hard to beat these prices.  Look at the #89508 2.5x25mm Deep Woods Plex only $99.99.  Usually ~$250.  For an old Deerslayer this would be slick.

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 01:03:18 PM »
Amen on the 1.5-4.5x32 Bushnell Banner.

Have one on my NEF 30-30. Easy target acquistion, holds zero, wide field of view; so wide that I can see the barrel through it at 1.5. Something came loose in my first one, sent it back, Bushnell sent me a new one, had forgotten about it until I started typing this, the replacement has not burped. Have used it on two bucks at 75 yds, a fox at 35 yds, and a bobcat at 65 yds.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 04:02:55 PM »
Nikon pro staff 2X7X32 shot gun scope
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline DennyRoark

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
    • The Ohio Outdoorsman
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 03:06:06 AM »
be careful what you buy...a lot of the low end scopes can't take the pounding from a slug gun for very long.  You start missing, go back to the range and shoot all over the place.  Happened to me twice in 5 years (and all I usually do is check zero with 3 or 4 shots and maybe 2 or 3 during the hunt).  Get the best you can afford.
Denny Roark
Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)
The Second Amendment...the one that makes all the others possible
I have no problems with vegetarians...I eat them regularly-Ted Nugent
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Charlie Tango

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 07:30:19 AM »
Realisticly what average price range are low end vs. mid range vs. high end?  Just an average if possible

Offline DennyRoark

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
    • The Ohio Outdoorsman
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 10:08:38 AM »
Both of my problem scopes were Tasco.  One was a 1.5x32 ($49.95) and the other was a 3-9x32 ($59.95) in early to mid 1990's dollars.  I'm not going to suggest brands.  I have a $29.95 Simmons 8pt on my muzzleloader that I love (got it on a .17HMR in trade), but waitng for that day when it wanders after each shot.
Denny Roark
Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)
The Second Amendment...the one that makes all the others possible
I have no problems with vegetarians...I eat them regularly-Ted Nugent
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline wink_man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 05:29:36 PM »
In my opinion, you couldn't possibly go wrong with the Bushnell Banner 1.5X4.5 that several others have mentioned here. And I can only justify my opinion with fact from my own hunting.

Between me and the kids, we have 7 smoothbore slug guns, 2 in 20 gauge, 5 in 12 gauge, and all have the above mentioned Bushnell Banner mounted on them. With the wide field of view at 1.5 setting, no need for iron sites for the up close and personal shots, it's not a problem to get the scope on a moving deer at 10 feet away. And obviously the 4.5 setting is more than adequate for the outside range a slug gun is effective at.

The Bushnell Banner is EASILY the most scope you will get for the money in my opinion. Wide field of view, generous eye releif, crystal clear, they hold zero and can take the abuse dished out by a 12 gauge slug gun, we haven't had a problem with any of them. And a limited lifetime warranty if you ever do have a problem with them. All in a 70 dollar package.

My son has an Ithaca 37 12 gauge deerslayer with the Bushnell Banner mounted in a Weaver Converta mount(no longer made for the Ithaca 37, unfortunately). Last year he took a large doe at 128 lasered yards, one shot, bang flop. Not to shabby for a smoothbore slug gun with a scope most consider to 'low end' to bother with.
Garry
'Life is to short to hang with an ugly woman, or hunt with an ugly gun' - Garry
'It's not that our liberal friends are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't' Ronald Reagan
Just ask an American Indian what happens when you let immigration get out of hand.

Offline Old Grizz

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 04:28:34 AM »
I have a Leupold 2-7x32 with a heavy duplex retical on my shotgun which works great in woods and tight cover or in fields to 150 yards. Bushnell is a great choice also but don't rule out a pentax scope. I have one on my 30-06 and it seems to be very clear and so far the recoil hasn't hurt the crosshairs or adjustment. The good thing about it is it's 2.8-10x50 with a BDC retical and I only paid 70.00 for scope and shipping.
Marlin 1895G Rules
45-70
Member Team Hornady
Life Member NRA
Member NAHC