Author Topic: Deer activity in relation to weather patterns  (Read 713 times)

Offline broken arrow

• Trade Count: (0)
Deer activity in relation to weather patterns
« on: November 06, 2003, 11:29:05 AM »
O.K., I get up the past two days to hunt, only to spend the whole day wondering where the deer are. We are currently in the throws of a cold front. It has been getting colder all day. I saw 3 does, but I think a dog scared them up moments before. Is there any way to decide if you should or shouldn't go hunting? Is it the moon, barometric pressure or what. I went 3 days ago and deer were all over. My partner shot a nice 10 point.
I'm glad I didn't shoot at a doe today though. My nipple was dirty and I had a failure to fire. (Something occluded the hole) Everything is conspiring against me lately and now there are no deer.   What's up? :cry:
"Cowards die many times before their death, The valiant never taste of death but once."

Offline magyars4

• Trade Count: (5)
Deer activity in relation to weather patter
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 03:03:17 PM »
I understand what your going through. Opening day of BP here, the weather was near 80. the second day was the same. both days the moon was so bright there were shadows at night,
I didnt see a deer either day.
Ya gotta do the time in the woods, to get your chance.
New moons, new weather fronts, change in pressure, all can get the deer moving.

Offline pa ridge-runner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2003, 01:45:22 AM »
:grin:I spent 1 week in Wyoming trying to shoot a mule deer.The weather was in the 80's everyday! Not only were the deer in hiding during this weather,I found it pretty unbearable to sit out in the heat all day myself when nothing was moving.
Last year in the buck season here in pa it was the coldest,snowyest,most miserable weather I had seen here in years.The deer were hunkered down so tight that it would take stepping on them to move them.
Both of these conditions are bad for hunting.It is my opinion that deer move when they are hungry no matter what the weather,but will wait till dark in the heat and not move too far when its cold and snowy.I also believe deer will feed in early afternoon during a full moon.
If there is a perfect time to hunt,I think it is before a cold  front is approaching.That is one time when I believe the deer will move.
Food is another subject that can determine deer movement also,but that is another topic.If we all knew the times the deer will move it would be too easy.Thats what makes hunting...hunting.GOOD LUCK!!

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2003, 02:54:54 AM »
I am an all-day hunter most of the time, come heat, sleet, or whatever. I could list 100 reasons why deer might move even when they want to be bedded down, and vice-versa. Weather certainly plays a part in deer movement, but my theory is that you spend every minute you can in the woods.

When you're not seeing deer, especially in a good deer area, it is discouraging. Something I try to do that helps me alot is change my perspective. Every hour that passes without seeing deer increases the chance that you will see deer the next hour. In our minds the opposite occurs: every hour without deer makes us think we are not doing something right or that the deer have changed their behavior. Odds are we are right where we need to be, but our roll on the dice has not come yet. Keep rolling the dice and your number will come up. Stay at it, and sooner or later things will have to change for the better. :grin:
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline broken arrow

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2003, 03:22:09 AM »
Well, I'm preparing to go at it again tomorrow. My Knight is cleaned and ready and the weather, though wet, seems much better. I only have a small 80 acre tract that my father-in-law owns that I am allowed to hunt and a 55 acre ridge top. I don't want to over hunt these areas, but I want to spend alot of time in the stand. I noticed some smaller bucks chasing does last week. This ushers in the promise of the southern rut. My hunting partner made an observation last week. He said "I learn something every time I go hunting." I think I will make this my mantra for this years season. I have hunted dilligently for 15 years and have only killed a small 5 point, and does. This is my year, I feel it. I sense that somewhere out there, is a large, mean 12 pointer with my name on him. all these years of sleeping in my tree lounge will finally pay off. :)
"Cowards die many times before their death, The valiant never taste of death but once."

Offline SingleShotShorty

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2003, 06:16:49 AM »
Broken Arrow, Good Luck Buddy, Remember good thing's come to those who wait. Sounds to me like the Deer Hunting god is goin to send you a Bigun this year. May your dreams be fufilled. :D  
The Deer Hunting God answered my dreams on the evening of the last day of our ML season wih a 154# 10 Pointer. :-D
Old Age and Treachery Will Alway's Overcome
Youth and Skill.

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2003, 02:08:34 PM »
Well there are timetables to fish by and hunt by too?? The best hours to hunt??  I fished by the moon phases all summer"outdoor life" Maouri charts and I think they have hunting times too listed. Well on my best fishing days most were overcast or raining but I went anyway and i seen more deer on the move in these lowlight conditions than I have ever seen this past summer.  This stuff worked for fishing too and it has to work for deer of course if the weather pattern is right too.         BigBill

I'm going soon to try it.