Author Topic: New scope brands  (Read 537 times)

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
New scope brands
« on: February 03, 2010, 04:19:36 PM »
About once per day someone is asking for an opinion on a scope brand I have never heard of.  There must be a wave of new scopes being purchased if the shooting public can support so many additional brands.  Maybe a lot of inferior scopes are failing and being replaced.  

Just asking for opinions.  I don't have the answers.  With a 10% unemployment rate, I'd think optic brands would be consolidating rather than expanding.  That's why I'm not an economist.

Who has an explanation for the surge in new optic brands that we are seeing?

Offline Old Grizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: New scope brands
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 12:19:56 AM »
And most of them seem to be low-end scopes at that. I have no idea what it cost to build a bottem end scope but there must be a decent markup in them and if you notice most of them are made in China. Go on e-bay, there are over 1,000 pages with just optics and some manufactures no one has ever heard of. Maybe someone is getting on the band wagon because of the poor economy.
Marlin 1895G Rules
45-70
Member Team Hornady
Life Member NRA
Member NAHC

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 01:59:09 PM »
You sort of summed up my thoughts.  There aren't many "free lunches" in the optics game.  An astonishing magazine add, and a gun writer, can only make silk purses from a sow's ears, for so long.

I foresee a lot of brand turnover in the future. 

Offline dross80

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 07:29:41 AM »
About once per day someone is asking for an opinion on a scope brand I have never heard of.  There must be a wave of new scopes being purchased if the shooting public can support so many additional brands.  Maybe a lot of inferior scopes are failing and being replaced.  

Just asking for opinions.  I don't have the answers.  With a 10% unemployment rate, I'd think optic brands would be consolidating rather than expanding.  That's why I'm not an economist.

Who has an explanation for the surge in new optic brands that we are seeing?

Gun sales are way, way up, since about a year before the election.  All those new guns need optics.