Author Topic: Kimber Custom II guide rod abrasions & scoring  (Read 451 times)

Offline charlesr

• Trade Count: (0)
Kimber Custom II guide rod abrasions & scoring
« on: February 04, 2010, 09:32:22 PM »
I have just acquired a used Kimber Custom II 45 acp. When I disassembled the weapon for cleaning I noticed that the full length guide rod has considerable abrasions and scoring on it. What conditions would have caused this? What parts need to be replaced to correct this beside a new guide rod. Does this mean this weapon has been fired a great deal...maybe with hot loads? External appearance is quite good and trigger function is very good. Magazine top does not show excessive wear and the bore and rifling look very good.
Charles

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Kimber Custom II guide rod abrasions & scoring
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 01:05:11 AM »
Without a picture I might make the guess that the recoil spring has caused the abrasions and scoring, and if not the recoil spring then possibly some thing like a burr in the bushing track for the rod or something slightly out of kilter with the bushing. 

You didn't indicate how serious the abrasions or scoring were - by abrasions, do you mean the bluing is worn off, or worse? How bad is the scoring?  Is the damage to one side only? 

Offline charlesr

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 02:40:09 AM »
Abrasions are all around the rod and extend 2 1/4 inches from the front end of the rod. Scoring does not appear all around the rod.
Charles

Offline charlesr

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 02:41:25 AM »
Guide rod is not blued. Appears to be stainless.
Charles

Offline charlesr

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 06:47:23 AM »
I called a technician at Kimber today. He said someone installed the recoil spring incorrectly. The closed end of the spring should go on first. No parts need to be replaced. The guide rod can be polished. It's just a cosmetic thing.
Charles