Author Topic: Moniter conversion for dvd/gamesystem use  (Read 718 times)

Offline manofthe45

• Trade Count: (36)
  • A Real Regular
  • Bucks Hang On The Wall. Does Fill The Freezer
Moniter conversion for dvd/gamesystem use
« on: March 03, 2010, 04:28:50 PM »
I know years ago several mennonite families that homeschooled converted computer monitors for vcr use, but is it possible to do with the new ones.  I enjoy playing war games on my ps3 but the wife is tired of me "hogging" the tv.  I have an extra flat screen monitor so if anyone knows a way to convert it for use with dvd and ps3 please let me know
NRA Member

Offline mbopp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Moniter conversion for dvd/gamesystem use
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 09:15:18 AM »
Not having a PS3, what output does it have?

And what are the available inputs on the monitor (I assume a 15-pin mini-D?)
"The Constitution is not an instrument for government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government, lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." -- Patrick Henry, American Patriot

Offline manofthe45

• Trade Count: (36)
  • A Real Regular
  • Bucks Hang On The Wall. Does Fill The Freezer
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 05:51:00 AM »
Yes the monitor has the 15 pin. The ps3 has the same 3 plug setup white,yellow, and red as a standard dvd player
NRA Member

Offline mbopp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 10:39:56 AM »
Sorry, I gotta check the forums more often.

Try this:

http://www.svideo.com/video2vga.html
"The Constitution is not an instrument for government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government, lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." -- Patrick Henry, American Patriot

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 12:43:25 PM »
TV signals and VGA monitors are incompatible with each other. The basic fundamentals are theoretically similar, but in application they are very different. There is a big difference in the scanning rates, CRT phosphor pitch, and overall design specs.

Normal video signals you watch on TV screens are generally in composite video or RF (antenna) formats which VGA monitor does not have any suitable inputs. The HSYNC rate of TV is 15625 Hz (for PAL and SECAM standards) or 15750 Hz (for NTSC standard). The VSYNC rate is 50 Hz (for PAL and SECAM) or 60 Hz (for NTSC). A TV uses interlacing so that it shows 25 or 30 frames per seconds and shows those in two parts: one field includes all even number horizonal lines and the other all odd numbered horizonal lines. Interlacing is the process of scanning 1 frame in two passes - the odd (or even) lines first and the even (or odd) lines second. This enables the low framerate of 25/29.97 to display without flickering as much on a system where the phosphors don't glow for long enough to get from top to bottom of a frame in one pass.

A VGA monitor can only take RGB signals with separate sync signals (HSYNC, VSYNC). Original VGA used around 31 KHz HSYNC rate and 60-70 Hz frame rate. The whole picture is normally drawn at each screen update (no interlacing normally, can be used if wanted). The HSYNC rates and VSYNC rates have increased because of increased resolutions and needed for faster screen refresh rates for less flickering. You can in real life see signal and monitor specifications in the ranges of an order HSYNC=30-65 kHz and VSYNC=50-120 Hz (those are not absolute maximums, but quite typical values graphics cards output and monitors can take).

Because of different signal formats and different screen refresh rates the picture you send to your TV and the VGA monitor wants are totally incompatible. The TV signal can be conneverted to RGB format with some electronics (some equipment designed for TVs can even output RGB), even then you can't make a steady picture to VGA screen because the refresh rates of TV signal is not compatible with what VGA monitor is capable of handling.

To be able to show TV picture on VGA screen a considerable amount of conversion is needed to convert the picture coming in in one format to other format which VGA monitor wants.

I have and still use a PCI WinTV card in my PC which I display on a 37" TV used as a monitor, yeah I know it dont make since to use a tv as a monitor to watch TV on but I am wierd like that. I run 3 monitors now and use one as a TV one as my work monitor and the 3rd to play games or as a second work screen when I need it... I plan to add at least one more monitor which will double as a quad multiplexer for my security cameras.

You can pick up a WinTV PCI card for about $30-$40 at wally world which will have a composite input for your PS3. I used to use it for my PS3 and Xbox until I got the 37". Oh yeah you will need a 1/8 stereo to RCA adaptor if you want the sound to go through the PC.

Hope this helps:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/MicroPac-SBT-TVFM-TV-Tuner-Video-Capture-FM-Radio/11060834#ProductDetail

This is more or less the same thing I have, just a different brand.  oh and you do not need a super computer to use these cards as they use little system resources.

Matt
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein