Author Topic: Next gun? 44, 45LC, 454, 480, or T/C?  (Read 1110 times)

Offline billmaly

• Trade Count: (0)
Next gun? 44, 45LC, 454, 480, or T/C?
« on: October 29, 2003, 02:19:34 AM »
I'm savin' my nickels and dimes, selling a couple old shotguns that I don't use/need anymore, and buying myself a new handgun. Here's the choices and aarguments for each caliber.

New gun will be a plinker, as well as a deer gun, and probably a Ruger (currently hunt deer w. .357, I'd like longer reach and more knockdown power).

.44 Mag-Classic, no question as to it's performance for deer.

.45LC-Old, also sufficient for deer. A friend has a 45 Redhawk, if I had my own, I could reload for the two of us and make my own rounds a little cheaper.

.454-I have a set of reloading dies for .454, so that expense is met. I could also shoot .45 from it, satisfying the friends need for cheap 45LC ammo. I have some concerns about sticky 454 cases in this gun. I confess that I am somewhat enamored by the 454 load (is it wrong to like big guns simply for the sake of their being big?  :grin: ). If I buy the Ruger, it'll likely be in the 9.5" barrel. I know FA is very good, but my budget simply does not allow for a FA gun. I've read very good things about the Raging Bull from Taurus, but it's only a 5 shot, and I just don't like the way it looks (not a big fan of the SRH's looks either, but it's better looking than the Taurus). Of course, looks are secondary to performance.

.480-Big, less punishing recoil than the .454, looks the same as the .454. Less flexible (in terms of ammo avail.) than the 454, but since I reload, not a huge issue.

T/C The other option is to forget revolvers and look into a T/C Contender or Encore.

What's everyone's opinion on the various calibers listed for what I want to do?

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Which one is better
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 03:58:45 AM »
billmaly: all my handgun hunting needs can be met easily with the 44 magnum.  I used to think I knew a lot about reloading that cartridge, having hunted with it and having shot silly-wets with it but the fellas on these forums, and especially GrayBeard, JJHACK, and Lloyd Smale have given me a new perspective and respect for that cartridge.  I simply do not need anything larger.  The 44 Magnum can handle any handgun hunting need I have.  Also, mine is only a 4" Model 29-2 (pre-HUD agreement GB), but she groups very well at 50 yds and my eyes are still good enough for Whitetail groups at 100.  So I will stay with what I have and hopefully keep my skill level up to par and not need anything larger or more punishing to my wrist.  Good luck on ya.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2003, 05:49:52 AM »
What Mikey says is true except that his name should be on that list of helpfulls that one should pay attention to.
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline Duffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 07:25:04 AM »
The good old 44 is pretty hard to beat all around.  But then you could buy them all and just pick the one you want to use that day. :)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 07:42:06 AM »
I'd say go with the .44 mag but don't over look the Taurus M44. The RB is not the ONLY Taurus big bore revolver ya know. Mine looks far better than either the RB or SRH for a hunting gun for such a mild round as the .44 mag. It comes in several barrel lengths also. My 12" is a wee tad longer than I'd like but not much more so than the 10-5/8" S&W it replaced. For an iron sight gun that long sight radius sure is nice.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Hcliff

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 11:28:41 AM »
The 44 is a great choice.  One of the cheapest big bore to shoot too.  Then you can buy a 454 or 480 then 500, etc

Have Fun

Hcliff

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 12:29:42 PM »
i faced that decision before i found gbo.   i went with the 454.   i now know i would have been better suited with a 44 mag.  
nothing away from the 454; i currently download it to 1155 fps with a 255 hardcast lead slug.  downright mild to shoot.  
they are all excellent rounds; but very few need more than the classic 44 mag.

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2003, 04:48:25 PM »
If you want a revolver, 44 mag.  Will do what you want with less punishment than the others.

That said I would get a Contender.  They shoot great, are easy to scope if you desire.  Most importantly, say you do not like the caliber you chose or want an additional one, it is cheap to do.  Want a 22 rimfire, you can do that to.  I have a lot of fun trading barrels and trying something new.

But, I do really like my 44 SRH also....

Offline KN

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2003, 06:17:02 PM »
Go with the Encore, Then buy all the barrels you can stand!!!  KN

Offline DirtyHarry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2003, 09:43:10 PM »
Since you already have the dies for the 454 go with that. You can always load down to 44 mag levels if recoil is too much for you but you can never load a 44 hot enough to compete with the 454. I cant believe you dont like the looks of the raging bull :?  I think it is a great looking revolver, I much prefer the meaty looks of it to the somewhat skinny weak look of the rugers and FA type revolvers :-)
The early bird get's the worm, but the second mouse get's the cheese.....

Offline 1badmagnum

• http://pub64.ezboard.com/fthedeserteaglefrm1
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2003, 12:51:10 AM »
the 454 would be my choice,I own a 480 ruger super redhawk and the taurus raging bull 454.
both are heavy guns,I would suggest the smaller barreled versions.
I dont like the looks of either gun,but I do like the porting and the scope mounts on my taurus.
my redfield scope has not had to be adjusted since installation on my wheelgun,and I've fired 1000's of red hot handloads,with absolutely fantastic accuracy out to 170 yds.
the cheaper 45 bullets make both plinking and hunting rounds much cheaper.
480 ruger requires lube,I havent found any carbide dies as yet,and bullets are expensive.
44 magnum would be my second choice although your choices on styles of guns is limited
whats up with the small amount of choices in 44 mag?

Offline Hcliff

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2003, 10:48:59 AM »
1badmagnum look at the Hornady dies for your 480.  I have quite a few rounds through mine and they work great and do not need lube for the cases.  They are I believe titianum nitrate, which doesn't need lube.

Hcliff

Offline 1badmagnum

• http://pub64.ezboard.com/fthedeserteaglefrm1
thanks for the hornady tip
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2003, 10:31:43 PM »
thanks for the tip on the hornady dies,now if they just made them for 50 ae.
I thought the goverment was trying to limit large caliber production by making production more difficult.

Offline RollTide

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2003, 05:17:13 PM »
I would go with the 44 also (or maybe a Dan Wesson 445 Supermag which will also fire the 44 Special and 44 Magnum rounds as well.)  

1.  44 Mag is found everywhere (even internationally) in more weights and designs from shot shells to hardcast.

2.  44 Mag will handle any hunting situation for a hangun in North America and most other places.  It will even do a credible job for dangerous game protection (Garrets rounds penetrate to the hips on frontally shot grizzly bears)

3.  I have hunted rabbits for the camp pot with mine.  (Dan Wesson 44 Magnum.  Head shots at 30 yards Standing off hand)

4.  With 44 specials it is a real plinker that you can shoot all day and not have the shakes when you are done from the pounding recoil.  (the advantage is that you can have practice with your Magnum gun with mild loads, without having to reload unless you feel like it.)

I am a bit biased toward Dan Wessons.  I have owned them for over 20 years.  They are as strong as Rugers, and more accurate than almost anything else out there, and can be bought used at very reasonable prices.  (Last year I bought a stainless steel 445 Supermag (which is a 44 Magnum about 1/4" longer) with a 6" standard barrel, an 8" heavy barrel fitted with a B Square clampon mount and a 2X-6X pistol scope all in a bomb proof Ziegel Engineering aluminum case for a grand total of $620.  I have since added on a new 4" heavy barrel for $100.)  So for $750 dollars in a package that can be carried in a brief case I have a 4", a 6" and a scoped 8" handgun that I can buy cheap factory ammo for anywhere and can shoot 3 different cartridges and can handload to hunt anything on the planet large or small.  I deer hunt with my 6" scoped Dan Wesson 44 magnum.  At 30 yards it will shoot 6 shots into 2 44 magnum size holes cloverleafed together.  That kind of accuracy gives one the confidence to take the long shots with a handgun and the strength of the Dan Wesson lets you shoot loads that will do the job even on heavy game out to and beyond 100 yards with ease and without punishing recoil.

What else could you ask for from a handgun?

It is perfect for me.

Roll Tide

Offline billmaly

Decison made
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2003, 01:22:31 AM »
I went ahead and ordered a Ruger SRH, .44, witha 9 1/2" barrel. Figure I'll try it for awhile, if I don't like it, guns hold their value beautifully, and I can swap it for something else. Thanks everyone!

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
44 mag
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2003, 02:06:05 PM »
I hold with GB the Taurus 44 M is a great buy. I have one in a 8.?? " and it constintaly out shots my SBH/ 2x, the Tarus has a red dot. I think it is a great buy , but the gun rags including NRA bowe to S&W DUH
JIm

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2003, 04:19:51 PM »
I have a .44 mag., a .45 Colt (both with a 5.5 inch barrel) and a .480 Ruger, (With the 9.5 incher) all by Ruger.The .480, with 400 gr. cast bullets, is impressive, and the recoil is not bad at all. I went last weekend and fired 66 rounds from it before I ran out of cartridges, and another 50 from my .45 Colt. I use bullets that I cast myself,rather than buying jacketed bullets. The .45 Colt has never had a factory load fired in it since I bought it NIB.
I'm sure any of the three will do what I need, but I am one of those that enjoy big bore handguns!
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Majic

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2003, 05:08:20 PM »
Might as well toss a .41 mag in the mix too. It might be the little brother of the bunch , but it can hold it's own.