Author Topic: Filthy Bore  (Read 834 times)

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Filthy Bore
« on: February 06, 2010, 11:01:32 AM »
I just started cleaning the bore of the new BC Carbine I picked up yesterday. It hasn't been shot by me yet, but boy is this bore filthy. I haven't seen a bore with this much black in it since I tried shooting moly coated bullets.
On a related note, I recently have been using Kroil for bore cleaning. It works great and if you give it some time to soak in, it will even work it's way under and lift copper or lead fouling.
Don

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: Filthy Bore
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 11:03:10 AM »
It may have bluing in the bore.  That is common.  Most Handi's shoot better with a pretty dirty bore.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 11:07:27 AM »
Swampman is correct, barrels are blued with the bores open, so you'll get a lot of dirty patches even from an apparently clean bore,  just shoot it.  ;) They're also fired and not cleaned before they leave the factory.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Lefty Dude

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 11:08:51 AM »
Kroil is one of my favorite's. I do a 50% X 50 % mix with Kroil & Hoppes for general bore cleaning. If the Bore is very dirty I let it soak over night with a 100% kroil. Then I use the mix for a final cleaning.

Offline 26-t

• Retired
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (21)
  • Contributor
  • Father and Son At Bonneville SpeedWeek 07
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 01:26:02 PM »
 The bluing process is a controlled oxide or rust, it forms a protective coating on the steel of the barrel. (The bore is not plugged )while the barrel is being blued , it also oxidizes the bore. If you try to plug the bore it will be a (disaster) ,the expanding gases it the bore will expand, forcing the plugs out of the bore while it is submerged in the bluing salt bath at a (temperature of 298 degrees f )and spray a super concentrated caustic solution all over ever where. VERY unsafe :o to say the least! After the barrel is blued, it is rinsed in water, then it goes in a pickling oil to stop the oxide process. That is as far as the manufacture goes to clean the barrel. It(the barrel) will see a dry patch before it is proofed ,then you get the mess of clean up.  26-t

Offline reclusej

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 05:55:05 AM »
 Are there different Kroils ? Kroil what ? Where can I get some ?
 I just use Hoppes #9. Thanks again for this great sight. reclusej
I own a gun , not to kill some one but
so no one tries to kill me !!!

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 06:07:47 AM »
Best homemade penetrating oil, gun scrubber, etc. is 50/50 ATF and Acetone. Caution, this may damage some stock finishes and/or plastics. Mix it up and store it in the can the Acetone (hardware store will have it and you need some ATF around for the car anyway, right?) came in, NOT glass! And do relabel the can.
This stuff REALLY works and is cheap.
BTW, I have and use Kroil, as well as a number of other products, but when they are gone I will not re-supply, the above will do it.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 07:40:19 AM »
Are there different Kroils ? Kroil what ? Where can I get some ?
 I just use Hoppes #9. Thanks again for this great sight. reclusej

Midway carries it along with John Deere dealerships. It's backordered at Midway now, but here's a link: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=137203
Don

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 07:54:19 AM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 08:28:25 AM »
I just use Hoppes #9 or WD-40.  They are cheap and easy to get.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
Kroil and JB bore compound. Learned it in sniper school. Like most Handi's, every sniper rifle I've ever had liked a dirty bore, so it usually just gets a little Kroil, some dry patches and a fouling shot.
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 11:40:47 AM »
Want a Good borecleaner..Google Ed's Red Borecleaner... ;)
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(