Author Topic: "BRAND NEW" Ruger OA a lemmon????  (Read 1644 times)

Offline mitchellbuilding

• Trade Count: (0)
"BRAND NEW" Ruger OA a lemmon????
« on: February 15, 2010, 08:41:51 AM »
The new ROA came in saturday, finish looks great, gloss stainless, fit sucks, cyclinder is siting high in the rear of frame, the base pin that hols cyclinder in place is bent about .011 in, in the middle of pin where cylinder rides it has been turned down, maybe to accomadate for the bend in pin?? pin will only go one way and if it where not bent I dont think it would line up with the hole in rear of frame, revolver completely locks up upon decocking, hammer wont pull, triger wont pull, cyclinder wont move,you must remove the cylinder to unlock it,
    any ROA owners with a gun that the cyclinder sits high in the rear?
      I went with the ROA to avoid this crap, it was $590.00 new, what where they 2 years ago when production stopped? maybe 400 or so,I 'm sure ruger got a premimum price, I deserve A decent gun, ruger's voice mail say's "closed for unforeseen reasons" I bought it from "HUNTERS OUTLET"  in Thief River Falls, Mn, PHONE NUMBER 218-681-3030 when I called and described the issue,and asked if they could look at the others in stock to see if they all look like the one they sold me,they where "VERY BUSY" and would look latter on when they had a chance, any one have the same problem with a ROA?suggestions?  It's still unfired and I want to shot the darned thing, thanks,

Offline mitchellbuilding

Re: "BRAND NEW" Ruger OA a lemmon????
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 09:11:29 AM »
anyone

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 11:26:30 AM »
Return it to Ruger. They will take care of it. While I don't really care for their guns their customer service is top notch.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 11:42:08 AM »
What is a Ruger ROA?........I'm drawing a blank at the moment............

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 11:48:09 AM »
Same here what is it.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 11:53:41 AM »
Must be a black powder revolver I'm guessing......never heard of  one

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 11:54:16 AM »
Old Army I assume since this is the cap and ball forum.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mitchellbuilding

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 04:19:42 PM »
Bill I know that every thing outside of Jesus The Christ is dung, but are trying to tell me to hire a lawyer, and yea guys ruger OA is my lazy way of saying"old army",  I guess they are not a popular as I thought, anyone have one handy to inspect the pin that holds the cyclinder in place, mine is bent and in the middle where the cylinder sits on the pin, the pin looks as though it has been turned down just a fuzz,
               thanks everyone

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 05:50:31 PM »
Bill I know that every thing outside of Jesus The Christ is dung, but

Geeeeeze Mitch! Lighten up!  I'm 3 sheets to the wind an I din't get that upset!   :P

ROA is Ruger Old Army... every body knows that...  :-\

Bill said "Return it to Ruger. They will take care of it. While I don't really care for their guns their customer service is top notch."  He din't say nuthin about paying me a grand to get Ruger to give you a new revolver.  And the Lord ain't even entered into it!   ::)

Now, whatchagonado to get you money's worth fo that pistol gun?
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 07:08:11 PM »
Bill I know that every thing outside of Jesus The Christ is dung, but are trying to tell me to hire a lawyer, and yea guys ruger OA is my lazy way of saying"old army",  I guess they are not a popular as I thought, anyone have one handy to inspect the pin that holds the cyclinder in place, mine is bent and in the middle where the cylinder sits on the pin, the pin looks as though it has been turned down just a fuzz,
               thanks everyone

Dunno if you have a reading comprehension problem or a chip on your shoulder but one more post like that and you'll be history at this site.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline ronbow

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 01:33:27 AM »
I've owned a Ruger Old Army for several years. It is a smoothe as silk operating revolver and very accurate. Here is what I think happened to your ROA. When removing the cylinder or inserting it, the slot screw must be turned to allow the cylinder guide rod to move freely. If the slot screw is partially locked and the cylinder is forced on or off, the pin will bend. Sounds like someone disassembled your gun improperly. You may be able to straighten the pin yourself or since the gun should be under warranty, ship it to Ruger. Good Luck.

Offline mitchellbuilding

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 04:12:40 AM »
sorry i was reading bills salutation as tyhough it where his reply,

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 03:04:14 PM »
I have also owned a ROA in stainless for a few years and had the cylinder pin get bent from not totally locking it and trying to load.  Ruger sent me a new pin after I explained the problem.  This was shortly after I bought it and Ruger responeded promptly.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 02:48:09 AM »
the base pin that hols cyclinder in place is bent about .011 in, in the middle of pin where cylinder rides it has been turned down, maybe to accomadate for the bend in pin??

Just looked at mine. Pin is smaller diameter in the center area and only contacts the hole in the cylinder at the ends. Probably designed that way so the cylinder doesn't bind on the pin as easily when it gets gunked up with BP residue...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline gru

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 04:53:18 AM »
  I've got two and they are top notch Get it back to Ruger and you will love it 30 grns and bury the front sights shoots good to 30 40 yds I sometimes shoot ou to 100 to mess with my friends

Offline mitchellbuilding

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 06:20:56 AM »
Do yours have cylinder end play ???, mine has several thousandths, seems as though it would slap back and fourth when fired,  I am gonna head to gander mountain and get some lead and caps, this thing is still unfired, it does have the tendencey to lock up offten at decocking, maybe needs some shaking up and breaking in,

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 07:48:01 AM »
Do yours have cylinder end play ???, mine has several thousandths, seems as though it would slap back and fourth when fired,  I am gonna head to gander mountain and get some lead and caps, this thing is still unfired, it does have the tendencey to lock up offten at decocking, maybe needs some shaking up and breaking in,

I wouldn't fire that thing in the condition you described. I don't think there would be any danger, but it sounds like it would give you nuthin' but grief. Get it back to Ruger, they will make it right.
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 06:19:51 PM »
I agree with all the others to send it to Ruger; they stopped making them, but they still repair and have all necessary parts. They've got a warranty, you might as well use it and with b/p guns you can send it reg priority mail insured.

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 06:49:48 PM »
I guess if it wuz mine I'd straighten the cyl. pin & see if that fixed it.

I bought mine a few years ago but haven't shot it much.  Someone did a nice  job soldering a trigger stop just inside the trigger guard behind the trigger.  Werks pretty much goood.

But once in a while the trigger mechanism just locks up & I have to remove the cylinder to get it working again.  

I've had problems getting nipples that are the right size, too.  Shutup.

Other than that very accurate.  Can't imagine a better front stuffer.
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 03:54:10 AM »
Actually Ruger DOES NOT have a written warranty on their products and they are very specific in that regard. BUT they do have excellent customer service and will fix or replace guns made by them and sent to them that do not work properly and pretty much always at no cost.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline mitchellbuilding

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 09:37:44 AM »
 Along with all the other things I mentioned, when boxing it up to send back to ruger, I noticed that the pin (or rod) that the trigger pushes against when pulled is twisted, it does not come strait out of the frame but on an angle, actually to the point that about 1/2 of the rod is hanging off the the trigger, how does everyone else's look? I dont know if this is way it is made or A flaw,
       I let it lock up again and boxed it for the UPS man that they claim is on his way, On the phone the told me it would take 6 weeks, I have a ruger M77 rifle with the scope lugs forged into the reciver( a pantend ruger exclusive) but one of the lugs is twisted 10 degree's so when the rings are tighten'ed down it scares and slitly bends every scope's tube that I mount, and out of waranty because it sat in my gun cabinet for 15 years before ever shooting it or mounting a scope on it,
      And since the scope bases are made into the reciver and the reciver is not a replaceable part, I just got screwed on that one, But figured that with ruger's solid repatation that it was just a fluke and not the norm, Now I am not trashing all of you gentelmen ruger's that you are all so pround of, because I have a half dozen or so rugers around here, but have had mojor problems about 50% of them, like a new mini-30 shooting a 2ft group @100yds, not 2in but 2 ft, can someone please tell me about the pin behind trigger on there ROA, before I decide that the only reason ruger is popular is because of the cool sounding "RUGER" name and  sporty company logo that Hank Jr.made famous, not because of great firearms, 

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 09:48:46 AM »
The pin behind the trigger on mine rides outside of the left side of the trigger by close to .025" measured. 

The pin rides pretty much parallel to the horizontal plane of the barrel.

I would guess they would replace the receiver on the rifle.  A machining mistake fifteen years ago is still a mistake today.
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 10:38:07 AM »
As I said there is no warranty on Ruger guns so no specific timeframe when it runs out. If they messed up and built it wrong return the rifle and they should made it right.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline mitchellbuilding

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 06:49:26 PM »
the revolver is on the way back to ruger, UPS came and got it thursday evening, the address sticker said overnight air,so we'll see, I will let everyone know how long it takes and what the problem was, on that model 77 that I was cryin bout, when I try and shoot  3 shot groups at 100 yrds, it just wont do it, the darned thing just makes one hole in the target on 3 shot groups , When I try and shoot 5 shot groups @ 100 yds, some times it will make 2 holes,  Now I bet if I did send it back to the factory the would really fix it up good, I know this is a BP fourm, but with all of my complaining about ruger quality, i must give it to them on those little 10/22's, they are the funnest and cheapest and most reliable things in the world to shoot, and everyone swears that I will love the old army just as much, Once I start shooting it, but what sucks is spending your bill money on a gun that you cant shoot or even fondle for 6 whole weeks, man I sure wish material things brought happyness,

I really do thank  everyone for thier input and help,

I hate the law and love to fight, now each of yall have a good night