Author Topic: 357 lever or 357 Handi  (Read 2923 times)

Offline brasshead

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 357 lever or 357 Handi
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2010, 06:37:58 AM »
Thanks Quick I spent some time looking over the search area, I think the 445 would be to much trouble to deal with and there does'nt seem to be much on reloading for it.
Thanks to everyone for the help I think I'm going to keep an eye open for a 357 in a handi and go from there. I like the cost and not chasing down the brass! I would really like some walnut to go on this style of gun.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2010, 08:34:40 AM »
Rem. will be missing the sale if they dont make a BC-C, 357 c/w open sights (IMHO), meanwhile, get some BC-Carbine wood new or off the classifieds and be ready for when the gun comes along (hey, it fits other H&Rs real good too).
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2010, 02:20:16 PM »
The only negative point I can think of for the Marlin is the limited cartridge length for the handloader. I forget the exact figure, but there were a few bullet types that couldn't function when crimped in the groove. I never had any feeding issues otherwise.
I do like the look and feel of the '92 clones. My shooting partner has a Rossi that will shoot 4" groups at 200 yards with his hot handloads.
My favorite is my NEF Handi in .357 mag. I like the trim package that still has a 22" barrel. Light .38 spl lead loads are very quiet and very accurate. I think the Handi's have the best sights of the three. Nice square topped post in front and a flat topped, square notched rear. (not a fan of beads and buckhorns)

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2010, 11:07:59 PM »
I have three marlin 94 in 357, one Rossi and one handy also.  I like them all.  Personally I would buy the handy first and look for a deal on the others.  I recently bought one marlin for $350 in almost new condition and I have one old micro groove one that I paid $200 for Actually my Marlin Cowboy 24 inch rifle was the most expensive I own followed by the Rossi.  My handy shoots as good as any of them.  As for repeat shots I personally only required a second shot twice in nearly 45 years of hunting.

Offline blacksan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2010, 12:05:01 AM »
I'm kinda late to this post but own a nice selection of Handis and Marlins. I would go for the Marlin and after you get it in your hands and more especially after you do some shooting with it you will know why it was a great choice. If your eyes are still sharp add an aperture sight like the  Skinner in brass and it makes a real classy package.