Author Topic: Where to begin  (Read 1458 times)

Offline Stuart C.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Where to begin
« on: February 07, 2010, 01:44:30 PM »
Well I think I want to try bowhunting next fall.  I've been kicking the idea around for years, and with all things considered I think I want to take the plunge. 
I'm going to pick up a couple books, and actually already have one from a few years back. 

In terms of equipment, I would like to save some cash and buy a used bow.  I have a place near me that has quite a selection/archery department. 

If you were looking for a bow that was to be used as a tool, could be repaired if need be, be of good quality, value and remain useful for several years before becoming obsolete, what would you buy?  I'm not looking for the latest fastest lightest most high tech bow, just one that will last me several years of practice and hunting.   What do you think?

Thanks.

Offline pozoutdoors

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Where to begin
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 04:18:20 PM »
You can buy an older Mathews pretty cheap. No they are not as fast or smooth as the newer models. But, are still very good. You really should try as many different models in your price range and go from there!! Be sure and get your draw length measured. The bow has to fit you. Pick the bow that feels the best to you. We are all different and not every bow fits everybody the same!!! Good luck and welcome to the world of archery!!!

Offline squirrellluck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 05:26:37 PM »
Went thru the same thing several years ago. My choice was a recurve. Simple, reliable, and effective. No sights to fiddle with. No rest or release. Simple to maintain. Changing strings does not require special equipt. And lets not forget just plain fun.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 04:56:40 AM »
I had an old-old Darton that i had not shot in years, took it to the range and they white eyed me. After shooting some of their bows i understood why.
I ended up with a Mission (made by Matthews) i bought the UX2 the least expensive, it does all i can do, 28" draw, can hit the pie plate at 60yds
on perfect days, put them in 3"  spot at 40 most all days, 20yds is auto
don't think i could do better with 10 times the $
Go to a several shops and ask questions about witch bow and why, it won't take long to find out
if they are just selling bows or are interested in your bus.

Just my $.02
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline Dances with Geoducks

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 07:28:40 AM »
First thing Id tell you to do, is buy the book "Become the Arrow"

http://www.amazon.com/Become-Arrow-Target-Byron-Ferguson/dp/091330509X?tag=dogpile-20

Even tho I own and shoot primitive bows. Id send the money and get a high quality traditional recurve bow.

My favorites are Marin bows, the Venom or Savanna.

Bows take a lot of practice and dedication to get good at.

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 10:01:44 AM »
Just about anything made in the past 5 years with the name brands(bowtech, Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, etc) is going to be just fine.
And get the wisker biscut.
Got:
Handi VP 22/410, 410, 20, 17M2, .223, 357MAX, 50cal ML SS w/MU plug

Offline Stuart C.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 03:02:19 AM »
What's a wisker biscut?

Offline Big Nasty

• Contributor
  • Kids that hunt and fish don't steal and deal.
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 09:13:41 AM »
GO to your pro shop and see what they have for used bows and shop around there are good deals to be had. Try EBAY, but find out what your draw length is first.
Kansas members forum here. http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,250.0.html

A RULE WITHOUT ENFORCEMENT IS NOT A RULE IT'S JUST A SUGGESTION

<p>[img width= height= alt=martialvsmodern]http://www.myorkutglitter.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/funy.gif[/img]</p>
<a href="http://www.myorkutglitter.com/myglitters/funny-glitters/" title="View all posts in Funny Glitters" rel="category tag">Funny Glitters[/url]  :  <a href="http://www.myorkutglitter

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 06:44:47 AM »
ebay has some good deals IF you know what you want
Rex

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 11:18:21 AM »
Forget e-bay and any other source that is not local to you. You are a rank amateur and need to act the part. Out sourcing to places like flea bay is fine for someone who is far enough along in the sport to know how to tune their own equipment and know what they need. You are not now that person tho some day maybe you will be.

Go to a local pro shop and let the folks there fit you with a bow and get it properly tuned for you. They will know how to help you select the right arrows and broadheads. Trust them they are your friends until you find they are not. If they screw you don't deal with them again but as a newbie you need such a shop. Tell them what you told us and let them help you get set up.

I do agree any major brand but get one they sell and support so you have the tech support needed if/when it goes bad. You should stay with one less than five and better yet three years or less old. They should have those on hand others have traded in.

Get new arrows and broadhead.

Let them determine your correct length of pull and arrow length as well as which arrows are right for your set up.

Traditional is fine but really not so easy for a beginner. Get a compound with proper sights and a peep and you'll be shooting good groups in no time. Get a deer target to shoot at do not practice on round black dots against a white background and then expect to hit deer in the woods. That was my single worse mistake and I had already been shooting for 30 plus years with traditional equipment.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline KP

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 06:12:21 PM »
Stuart,

A great place to start reading about archery is this web site http://www.huntersfriend.com/ Be sure and check all the tabs and links.

I got started there because they are very military friendly and ship to overseas addresses. That may not be your situation, but they are still a great source for all archers.

Good luck, Kirk

Offline kansasj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 02:53:34 AM »
Stuart C. ---Graybeard offered up some very sound advice.  Act the part.  It is better to ask a dumb question than make a dumb mistake.   You mention you want to bowhunt next fall.  Learning archery is more than acquiring a bow and equipment, fling a few arrows, and then head for the woods next fall when deer season opens.   Hang around some bowhunters, go to 3-D shoots and watch and ask questions.  Read everything you can on bowhunting and when you have questions or concerns ask some local archers you respect. Practice under varied conditions, weather, and amounts of clothing.  Also shooting from an elevated area can and will change your point of impact greatly.
Bowhunting is to me the ultimate challenge but also offers some of the biggest rewards.  The "do not's" are more important than the "do's" and one never stops learning or acquiring too much knowledge.
Be persistant and determined and do not give up.  You will have some bad days but remember it is probably not the bow it is You.  That is part of the challenge!!
Yesterday is history--tomorrow is a mystery--today is a gift!---That is why they call it the present!

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 06:54:47 AM »
Stuart C. ---Graybeard offered up some very sound advice.  Act the part.  It is better to ask a dumb question than make a dumb mistake.   You mention you want to bowhunt next fall.  Learning archery is more than acquiring a bow and equipment, fling a few arrows, and then head for the woods next fall when deer season opens.   Hang around some bowhunters, go to 3-D shoots and watch and ask questions.  Read everything you can on bowhunting and when you have questions or concerns ask some local archers you respect. Practice under varied conditions, weather, and amounts of clothing.  Also shooting from an elevated area can and will change your point of impact greatly.
Bowhunting is to me the ultimate challenge but also offers some of the biggest rewards.  The "do not's" are more important than the "do's" and one never stops learning or acquiring too much knowledge.
Be persistant and determined and do not give up.  You will have some bad days but remember it is probably not the bow it is You.  That is part of the challenge!!

+1
when i decided I wanted to bow hunt i went to a bow shop that i had heard lots
about all good(mostly) i had them set up the bow they told me what arrows
and how long, they had an in door range (20yards) i shot there 3 days a week
about 25-30 shots a day, while shooting i watched the others and picked out guys to talk to. This was in Feb. Mar. by April i had put together a set up at work
and i shot 5 days a week after work. It takes LOTS of devotion, it is lots of fun
also. Just don't wait until 3 weeks before season starts, 6Mos would be better.
Rex

Offline huntswithdogs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 05:08:17 AM »
Listen to the above advice. A local shop is your best bet by far.

HWD 

Offline snuffer#1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 11:20:12 AM »
First thing, get your draw length measured. The bow has to fit you like a glove! ;)
Anything worth learning can't be taught in a classroom.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 12:13:16 PM »
Do yourself a favor and visit a couple reputable archery shops. Explain your situation completely, You will know who you want to deal with in a couple of visits. Let the shop earn their money, by setting you up properly and getting you started with good habits.

Make sure they understand that you want the rig for hunting not 3-D. There are choices to be made in every aspect of the sport. Right now I would choose simplicity and function over high performance. People have been killing deer quite regularly with archery equipment long before patents were awarded, so you don't have to get too carried away with technology to get the job done.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 12:55:19 PM »
stuart 
  my opinion is there are a lot of bows out there more than 3 to 5 years old still killin deer
 myself i shoot a bear bow (brand name)  i have taken alot of deer and a couple of hogs. 1  thing to remember is it is not the speed of the arrow that will kill. it is the shot placement. i got all cought up in the latest and greatest and wasted a lot of money. like some have said just becuz  it is old it is not junk. i think my bow was new in 88  it was not top of the line then. it just feels good to draw and shoot.draw length is probly most  important. dont go crazy on draw weight either.  65 to 70# is plenty. grafite arrows are excelent for me. i have bow hunted longer than i have gun hunted. get a lot more deer with my bow and see a lot more deer as well.
  good luck   by the way left handed or right? ;D ;D  bow hunting is the best         

rw
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 12:57:26 PM »
 sorry for not putting it in the last message but the coyote in my avatar was with my old bear bow.
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley

Offline Old Grizz

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 07:19:33 AM »
Forget e-bay and any other source that is not local to you. You are a rank amateur and need to act the part. Out sourcing to places like flea bay is fine for someone who is far enough along in the sport to know how to tune their own equipment and know what they need. You are not now that person tho some day maybe you will be.

Go to a local pro shop and let the folks there fit you with a bow and get it properly tuned for you. They will know how to help you select the right arrows and broadheads. Trust them they are your friends until you find they are not. If they screw you don't deal with them again but as a newbie you need such a shop. Tell them what you told us and let them help you get set up.

I do agree any major brand but get one they sell and support so you have the tech support needed if/when it goes bad. You should stay with one less than five and better yet three years or less old. They should have those on hand others have traded in.

Get new arrows and broadhead.

Let them determine your correct length of pull and arrow length as well as which arrows are right for your set up.

Traditional is fine but really not so easy for a beginner. Get a compound with proper sights and a peep and you'll be shooting good groups in no time. Get a deer target to shoot at do not practice on round black dots against a white background and then expect to hit deer in the woods. That was my single worse mistake and I had already been shooting for 30 plus years with traditional equipment.

I have to agree with Bill on this one. Stay local to buy a bow and maybe join a local archery club or range. Those guys are always more than willing to help a rookie. When you make that purchase of a bow no matter what it is, be sure it's the correct draw length to fit you. If it doesn't fit correctly it will be tough to stay consistant.
Marlin 1895G Rules
45-70
Member Team Hornady
Life Member NRA
Member NAHC