Author Topic: j.k280 question for the pros  (Read 391 times)

Offline j.k280

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
j.k280 question for the pros
« on: March 16, 2010, 05:54:21 PM »
when you guys reshape stocks to a straight grip, do you use a saw or grinder or rasp to remove pistol grip?  thanks for help   john

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
Re: j.k280 question for the pros
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 06:21:51 PM »
When I cut wood of any stocks I mark where I want the finnish shape to be then I add about a 1/4" to that and use a saw to cut the bulk off, then I use a wood rasp to get close and the basic shape of the way I want the stock to look, then I use a belt sander to get closer, and finnish hand sanding the rest of the way, hope this helps and good luck.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 08:48:52 PM »
 I have done it a couple ways. Purest STOP READING HERE! I have used a chop saw and band saw for the bulk cuts.
Like yukondog said, leave a little extra. I then use a rasp or course sandpaper on vibrating sander. Then work my way down to fine and hand sand.
 I also throw in my Dremel, 6" orbital sander, Die grinder with 3m roloc disc, pocket knife, small hand planer(little size at Home Depot $8)

Just be careful you can remove to much wood with the power tools.

Lonny

p.s. I will try to post a pict of my straight stock, that is in the final stages. Top stock started as a twin to the bottom stock. ;)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 02:46:39 AM »
I agree with the others, use a saw but cut "fat", leaving extra wood that later gets removed with either rasps, files, or sanding. And to have the reconfigured buttstock match what an original straight stock looked like be very careful to get to bottom line straight and flat from reciever to toe. It is especially critical near the reciever since you don't want to cut below the reciever line and somewhat at the toe as well, since you want the original butt plate or recioil pad to fit perfectly without redoing it. Some redone stocks I have seen have a little "droop", "curve", or "belly" left, usually near the reciever,which is not like the originals and is unattractive. Similar in some respects to the old perch belly stocks of years ago and to the unattreactive lines of the H&R/NEF youth straight stocks. I have also redone the youth straight stocks to remove that unattractive little "belly"....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline j.k280

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 05:42:25 PM »
thanks for the help. I know just enough about fine woodworking to make me dangerous .  Lon371 I never knew (or thought) about trimming the top of the stock!  That looks awesome  will have to try myself john