Author Topic: You can take off, but you cant add on...  (Read 825 times)

Offline El Gringo

• Trade Count: (0)
You can take off, but you cant add on...
« on: February 17, 2010, 02:02:17 PM »
Ordered new stainless nipples for my Remmy along with a spare wrench and a 30 gr spout for my flask.
I have a 24 gr spout already, so my plan was to get the 30 gr and tweek it down to a 28 grainer.  I thought this would be the cats meow load for both my Remmy and my 60 Army.

So I screw it on, pour in a 28 gr load and with a sharpie marker do a mark on the side.  Take it off..put in vice and cut it down. Then I file flat and bevel the inside and outside edges and smooth the works with an emery cloth.  I was very proud of my 'professional' job...looks good!

Clean up the shavings on the inside with a Q-tip, install on my flask.

It throws a 24 gr charge.  Just like the one that came with my flask.  Aint that just swell. >:(
Now I have two spouts that throw 24 grs.   Must be my lucky day.

Offline BGRooster1

Re: You can take off, but you cant add on...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 02:15:37 PM »
My Dad always said"I cut it off twice and it was still to short."

I know how ya feel.Sometimes ya  try and try and somehow things still get messed up.May be you could cut a little more and have a 26gr spout.It might be the magic load.lol

Offline FourBee

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 04:58:36 PM »
I got one and cut it down too.   Only I used the water vs Black powder ratio , and measured it several times before I was satisfied and made my final mark.  And you can't cut on the mark but above it towards the tip end.   Works just fine.
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 05:35:40 PM »
The tapered spouts that come on most Italian flasks have plenty of "meat" near the base.

I have increased capacity on spouts by using a Dremel tool and small aluminum oxide grinder to open the inside of the spout.

Just remember to put it in the flask, and weigh a charge now and then, so you know when to quit.

For identification, lightly stamp the grains near the bottom, or mark it with a file. 
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 06:14:33 PM »
I did the same thing as cowpox, I over cut a spout by 2gr and dremmeled out the base a little at a time til I got the 2gr, it didn't take much.

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 08:18:33 AM »
I am a carpenter. We have a saying, "Measure twice, cut once."

For a couple years I was working in Georgia with a couple of Guatemalan carpenter's assistants.
They didn't like the Gringo saying.

Their adaptation was, "Measure once, cut twice."

If you ever worked with Guatemalans you know what I mean.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline El Gringo

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 11:13:28 AM »
Well,  I'll be visiting a couple gunshows here and I'll see if any venders have some spouts.
If not I'll be adding 2 to my next order at DGW ;)

Offline bedbugbilly

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 05:39:44 PM »
Ah . . . . El Gringo . . . . . years ago, I think DGW used to carry a "#3 spout stretcher" . . . . . you might check to see if they still do?  ;D

Just kidding!  I've been thinking about doing the same thing with a spout for my .36 Colts and to tell you the truth, I would have done the same as you!  I'm really glad you posted about your problem that you had and the rest of the fellas threw their 2 cents in as it will probably save a lot of us from the same problem.  I know that doesn't help you out with what happened but it was sure nice of you to post about it.  Thanks very much.  Sincerely, bedbug   :)
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 04:28:30 AM »
When cutting those spouts one must measure it the way you will actually use it. When you cover the mouth of the spout with a finger tip the flesh of the finger sinks into the spout and you won't get a level full measure. That's why El Gringo's  28 grain measurement only threw 24 grains, he left no allowance for the finger tip. If he'd cover the spout with something hard he'd get his desired 28 grains. I too had to learn this the hard way.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.