Author Topic: found a cheapie 20ga.  (Read 2256 times)

Offline c1skout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: found a cheapie 20ga.
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2010, 04:35:55 AM »
 Thanks guys. The pad is a hard rubber shotgun pad that the guy at the gunshop threw in with the gun. There were no markings on the pad so I don't know who made it. It's 1 1/8" long and I ended up with a      13 3/4" LOP.  I want to check with some local smiths now and see how much to thread this barrel for screw-chokes. I'll try out some slugs next range trip. ;D.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2010, 07:56:00 AM »
Great job on the pad and refinish. How did you like working with the BLO? I love the stuff, it makes a smooth "buttery" finish and touches up easily.
Talk about a diamond in the rough. ;D You did good.

Spanky

Offline mike@nds

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
    • NoDak Spud, LLC
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2010, 08:03:50 AM »
Very nice workmanship.
NoDak Spud, LLC
www.nodakspud.com

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2010, 08:58:08 AM »
Very nice work! Let us know how it shoots!!
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline matthew_h

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2010, 09:04:54 AM »
very nice , nothing like fixing up a neglected gun and giving it a good home.well done :) .

Offline c1skout

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2010, 01:30:26 PM »
 This was my first try with BLO. Easy to work with but it seems every coat takes longer to dry than the one before. I took that to mean the wood was about done soaking it up. I used one of my wife's old pots filled with water and a lid to put my rags in so they didn't catch my house on fire. The finish is really nice... Buttery, like you said. Kinda makes me want to redo all my handy stocks.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2010, 01:37:37 PM »
After 30+ years of trying I gave up on BLO.  Minwax Satin Tung Oil Finish is an excellent product.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2010, 09:26:42 PM »
This was my first try with BLO. Easy to work with but it seems every coat takes longer to dry than the one before. I took that to mean the wood was about done soaking it up. I used one of my wife's old pots filled with water and a lid to put my rags in so they didn't catch my house on fire. The finish is really nice... Buttery, like you said. Kinda makes me want to redo all my handy stocks.

You can thin the BLO with mineral spirits. The coats will dry quicker and the first couple coats will fill the grain nicely.

Swampy. I like the tung oil too, it makes a nice finish. Did you use tung oil on the Marlin that was painted? That is a nice rifle. ;)

Spanky

Offline c1skout

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2010, 02:35:27 PM »
 I finally got around to shooting some slugs from my cheapie 20ga. Shots number 1 are Remington sluggers. Shots number 2 are Remington "high velocity" sluggers. All from 50yds off of sandbags. I had to put the bead on the top of the paper to get them to hit.