Author Topic: reloading press question  (Read 955 times)

Offline btomlin

• Trade Count: (0)
reloading press question
« on: February 25, 2010, 10:53:03 AM »
I'm thinking about getting into reloading for my .223 and .243 and whatever else comes down the pipe.

I really don't shoot enough to worry about the cost savings, but when I shoot I do like an accurate load.

Are the Lee press kits any good??  They are quite a bit cheaper than a hornady or RBCS by quite a margin.  I was thinking about a single stage press.

thanks.

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Re: reloading press question
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 11:02:08 AM »
I have used an 'O'-style Lee press for years with fine results.  IIRC it's a Challenger.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 11:04:03 AM »
I've been a Lee press fan for some years , however my last 2 press's were both Redding , in the last few years the quality of the Lee press had gone down hill .

Will they load decent ammo ? YES

Is it the best value for the dollar ? I'm afraid not any more .

Look ar the RCBS , Redding or Hornady , they cost a few bucks more , but you'll like it better in the long run .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline JW307

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 11:09:51 AM »
I use a Lee Breechlock Challenger press and it works great, never had a problem with it, and its spent primer collector actually works.

Jake

Offline wncchester

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 11:25:27 AM »
In the opinion of those who have actually used Lee's Classic Cast single stage AND others in the same class, most seem to agree the Lee is the better press regardless of cost.  I would have gotten it instead of my Rock Chucker if it had been available at the time.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline scratcherky

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 11:42:58 AM »
I have a Lee's Classic Cast press. It is well built but I do not like it because the linkage does not cam over center at top of ram stroke.
Don & man's best friend
Still looking at the green side of sod

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 11:48:33 AM »
I agree with the camming over center thing.  This is the one reason I don't like the lee presses.  It is much easier to get consistant sizing and bullet seating if you can set the press to cam over, I could just not get the right feel with the lee press.  I use an old cast iron Herters, plus, I like the priming arm on them better than the ram prime of the lee presses.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline nodlenor

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 11:54:39 AM »
I would recomend the RCBS Rock Chucker 100 to 1 over the Lee press. Iv'e used both and there is a lot of difference. I use a lot of lee products but their press isn't one of them. Spend the extra money, it is worth it.
Self government without self discipline will not work; Paul Harvey

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 12:09:34 PM »
I like the Redding press's, as they cam over. Linkage system gives more than enough leverage. And 100% made in America. Can't remember which ones, but I do believe a couple of the company's have their casting done overseas. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 01:06:14 PM »
There were two rockchuckers at the show I was at a couple weeks ago. $50.00 each with priming arms. My old Herters Super 3 is still cranking em out after 53 years. My 1937 Pacific was my "find of the year" last year at $5.00  with priming arms.

Don't overlook a used press. I never saw one worn out, and only heard of Lee wearing out and that was on this website.

Gotta love "the good stuff"..... Kevin Kline in Silverado

Jeff
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 07:09:34 PM »
I have both a Herters and a Pacific, both kick butt on a Lee.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 07:24:08 PM »
I have both a Herters and a Pacific, both kick butt on a Lee.  Larry

Gotta love "the good stuff"..... Kevin Kline in Silverado

Jeff
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 01:38:21 AM »
I'd look around for a used higher grade press first. You're going to be using it for a long time and you want the best you can get for your money.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 01:51:31 AM »
the last new lee i saw was the neigbors he bought last summer and it was a real disapointment. It was so stiff i thought there was sand in it. I had a lyman orange crusher and still have a rock chucker and a new hornady lock and load. Out of all of them i prefer the lock and load but any of the 3 is a good press. If it were me id save my pennys and pass on the lee.
blue lives matter

Offline wncchester

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 03:59:37 AM »
"I have a Lee's Classic Cast press. It is well built but I do not like it because the linkage does not cam over center at top of ram stroke."

If we like or don't like "camming over", it's just a liking, it's not something everyone will agree on.  All camming over means is the ram goes past top dead center and starts back down.  I can't see that as meaning much compaired to just stopping at top dead center. ??  Anyway, going over or not going over, I use both types and couldn't care less, they both work just fine for me.

We have several comments posted above compairing a favorite specific press against "the Lee" press but none say WHICH Lee they are referencing.  Lee makes what, some seven or more presses, only two of which are made of cast steel?  MANY folks place various cast iron presses against Lee's alum alloy presses as if that proves some point.  It doesn't, no more than compairing the RCBS "RC" to their own little "Partner" alum press does.  Both iron/steel and alum alloy presses are good but they sure aren't the same for ham-fisted, brute-force owners, some of which also break the iron top strap on RC presses!  Meaning nothing, including presses, can be "fool proof" to a sufficently talented fool.

So far as I know, ONLY Lee machines and bores the critical parts of their presses on modern CNC machines.  They are precisely made!

Is any new press too tight?  Most well made new machines, if not all, are tight at first.  Including my 20 year old Rock Chucker; it was quite tight and "gritty" at first, took awhile to loosen up but it's quite smooth now.  Ditto with my other presses, a Lyman and three Lees, but they too are very smooth now.  Seems a bit of oil and some use will fix things from being too tight so I wouldn't let the tight drag on a new  press change my choice.

btomlin, get any press you think you would like.  It will be certain to give you full value, especially the massively strong and precisely made Lee Classic Cast presses.

Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline scratcherky

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 06:42:52 AM »
Regardless of the comments made regarding "camming over", I would never buy another press unless the linkage cams over center. I fully agree that it is a personal preference. If I had not used a cam over press, I would not know the difference.
Don & man's best friend
Still looking at the green side of sod