Author Topic: Low Flash Powder for 38 Special  (Read 594 times)

Offline hammerdrop99

• Trade Count: (0)
Low Flash Powder for 38 Special
« on: February 21, 2010, 08:48:37 AM »

What in your experience would be the best powder to use for a low flash 38 Special load. I have not conducted any test loads, but I am currently using Bullseye and Unique for 38 Special.

I purchased some Buffalo Bore 150 gr. hard cast wadcutter loads for my J frame and they perform great. I would like to duplicate that load as close as possible.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Low Flash Powder for 38 Special
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 11:40:15 AM »
Not sure your going to find such a powder , and if you don't mind me asking , why a low flash ?  I'd be more concerned as to how well it shoots and start from there .

You may give BB a call , I don't think they will tell you what powder & charge they use , but you'll never know if you don't ask .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 11:45:29 AM »
It would have to be a fast burning powder like Bullseye, but in a revolver the cylinder to barrel gap would give off a lot of flash even if most of the powder were to burn in the barrel.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 12:32:33 PM »
I worked on a load years ago because I wanted something that might be easier to shoot with night sights. I ended up with moderate charges of W230. I think the modern equivelant is W231.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 01:28:26 AM »
some claim power pistol was designed to be a low flash powder in semi autos. Its a bit slow for the 38 but im sure it could be used.
blue lives matter