Author Topic: Colt Query?  (Read 504 times)

Offline Junkyard Dawg

• Trade Count: (0)
Colt Query?
« on: November 05, 2003, 07:40:03 PM »
I am considering the addition of a Colt .357 to my collection and am more than a little confused. Colt offers the Cobra, Diamondback, King Cobra and Python; to further confuse the issue they now tack on, Elite, Hunter, Trooper and Ultimate, to these models. Can someone direct me to an information source that will clarify this issue of just what minor differences these models have. Is there any one model that is superior to another, or one that is to be avoided?

Offline Savage

Colt Query?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 12:51:16 AM »
Dawg,
Beats me! All the models and variations thereof are a little mind boggling. The best way to make your choice would be to see all the models side by side. If that is not possible surely you can find the info you want with a search. The Colt website might be a good place to start, www.colt.com
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline RemingtonDave

Colt Query?
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2003, 06:13:12 AM »
Cobra: an aluminum framed .38 snubbie.

Diamondback: a fine revolver that resembles the Python, in 22 and .38.

King Cobra: an excellent heavy duty .357 mag. Stainless and blued versions. 4, 6, and 8" barrels, plus some 2 1/2". Would be my choice for a Colt .357.

Python: a premium .357 heavy duty revolver. accurate and EXPENSIVE. I've had three and sold them all.

Trooper: another quality heavy duty .357. Blued and two kinds of nickle. 4, 6 and 8" barrels. This gun evolved into the King Cobra.

Elite: hmmmmmm?

Hunter: I believe a long barreled, scoped Python or Anaconda. (the Anaconda is a .44 mag)

Ultimate: means polished stainless steel.

There are other Colt .357s out there, mostly used as the only one available new is the Python. I personally would go with a King Cobra or Trooper.

Go into Gunsamerica or Gunbroker and type in words like "Colt King Cobra" or "Colt Trooper" to see pics and prices.
Proud NRA Life Member

Offline Majic

Colt Query?
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2003, 04:18:32 PM »
The Elite was a variation of the Python.
There was also a Colt 357. It was the predessor to the Trooper.
The Trooper also evolved. It can be found as a Trooper, Trooper Mark III, and a Trooper Mark V.
Then there was the Lawman series which were .357mag also. It also has been produced as the Lawman, Lawman Mark III, and Lawman Mark V.
There was a small framed 357 made also, the Magnum Carry. It was built on Colt's D-frame (same size as the Detective Special).

The Python is their top model with a very high price tag. King Cobras are very durable. Probably the best dollar value is one of the Trooper MkIII's.

Hop on over to the Colt forum, we can answer and show you examples of most any model.
www.unitedforums.com/cgi-bin/cfcgi/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro