Author Topic: Lee Loader info needed  (Read 1460 times)

Offline mtbadger

• Trade Count: (4)
Lee Loader info needed
« on: February 19, 2010, 03:00:08 PM »
Does anybody have the info for the "14" dipper or the "Special" dipper????

I also need the load data for the .222 and the .243.  I have been to the Lee website and can't find this info .

Thanks brfore hand..
mtbadger

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Lee Loader info needed
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 03:41:27 PM »
mt

I have no idea what a 14 or Special Dipper is ???????????????

As for load data , you need to give just a tad more info as to what your looking for !!!!!!

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline ironglowjr

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 03:57:35 PM »
yeah badger ! that is a pretty vague question there buddy.....what do u mean by load data, the process on how to load w/ a lee loader ? or the amount of powder ? what is the question?

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 04:15:03 PM »
is it a yellow dipper with "1.4cc" raised letters on it?

link to the dipper capacity chart:
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/Dippers.pdf

Lee's site says they will mail you the data:
It is the policy of Lee Precision not to provide loading data over the phone or by email because we can't guarantee that the data would arrive in the same format and clarity in which we sent it .  We will however, provide data that we have by regular mail for specific requests.

The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline mtbadger

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 06:18:28 PM »
Sorry Gents...

I received a .222 and a .243 Lee Loader set up without any instructions/info.  I have downloaded the step process but cannot find any dipper info on the Lee website.

The "14" dipper came in a .222 Lee Loader but I have a copy of the .222 Lee Loader and it says to use a 1.6cc.

I also got a .243 Lee Loader and it has the "SPECIAL" dipper in it, so I am wondering if anybody has info on what these 2 dippers are used for.

I am looking for the RIGHT information on these 2 calibers.

These dippers are an aluminum dipping pot with a steel rod/wooden handle.  I do have a full set of dippers coming but I cannot find any info on the "14" or the "SPECIAL" dippers.

Hopefully this clears some of the mud I have stirred up...

Thanks again for the help
mtbadger 

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 11:14:16 PM »
I wonder if that "special" dipper is from some old and other brand set. I once had a 12 ga loader set that was like Lee but some other brand. It had metal dippers as I think it was 1950's vintage. One metal dipper had a telescoping bottom for shot. Don't know what happened to that stuff but I still have the shot dipper somewhere.

Also, I think Lee's dipper sets have changed. I THINK. Seems like they had one measure system then changed it. I wonder if you have an old dipper?

I STRONGLY SUGGEST GETTING A SCALE. After using Lee loaders for 2-3 years I bought a scale. A friend had shown me on his scale how variable dipping can be. With a scale, any little container can work as a dipper.

I might have some of the old dippers. I'll check and try to get back.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline mtbadger

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 07:17:31 AM »
Dand I have a RCBS Partner Electronic Powder Scale that I use at home.  I want to use the Lee set while I'm on the road...  I am trying to get as much info on the Lee as possible.

Thanks for the help folks.
mtbadger

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 11:37:13 AM »
I looked at my old dipper set and its OLD. They are black and have 3 digit numbers that I don't know the meaning of. I have one new yellow dipper from a Lee die set and it is in CCs.  So my dipper chart and set won't provide any info for me to help you. Shoot if you have a scale, just make a dipper out of a rifle case (keep the fired primer in it). Pick a good mild powder charge for your cartridge and cut the case down until it throws the right charge- using your scale to check. Solder on the handle. You might consider getting the Lee or other brand hand press. I got tired of hammering cases in and out of the lee kit. I carried one one summer when I rode around on fishing tenders and such. Back when it was no big deal to have a can of powder in my luggage. It was handier than boxes of ammo. I used lee kits for 30-30, 30-06 and 41 mag. I could make decent pistol ammo especially with it but felt my bullet crimping was erratic. For the rounds you are talking about I'd suggest a somewhat bulky powder that fills the case without overload concerns yet get decent performance. I sure wouldn't recommend any top end (pressure /velocity) loads.  IMR/ H 4895 comes to mind but I don't know how well it works in those 2 cartridges.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline mtbadger

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 12:44:14 PM »
Thanks Dand

Traveling by vehicle so no problems with that.  I just want something to do to keep me from spending money in the bars....lol

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 04:46:02 PM »
Same reason I was loading on the fishing boats. I saw the bars could become a serious dead end.
NRA Life

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 05:42:34 PM »
I've got a set of the old dippers, red ones, and a set of the new  yellow ones.  The old ones were not measured in cc's.  I have been able to use  them by weighing what each drops of a certain powder and making my own chart.  I use the dippers to load the scale and a trickler to finish it off.  If you practice, you will get to where you seldom need  the trickler, but I still weigh, esp. pistol powders just for safety sake.  As I'm sure you know some powders are exponential and a half grain might be too much..........
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline mtbadger

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 07:00:26 PM »
Thanks for the direction Mechanic.  Thats what I am hoping for.  I just hope the practice works for me...lol

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 10:59:59 PM »
Badger, I was looking at the 2010 Hodgdon Powder and loads book. I'm not so sure that 4895 would be a good choice for those to cartridges. I'd encourage you to study some load books to choose a powder. The 243 seems to like powders quite a bit slower than the 222. I didn't come up with one that looked good to me - mainly because I don't load for those 2 cartridges and don't know much about their preferences. But hey if you are traveling by car, it might not be too much trouble to have a second can of powder along. Good luck. But look for a forgiving powder that has a wide range from the start load to max load - I would think that would give you more leeway if your dipping technique is a little variable.
NRA Life

Offline mtbadger

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 04:39:19 AM »
Thanks for the direction Dand.

I won't be loading much .222 (in-laws gun)  I will however be loading .223 (alot) and .243 (some).  I am thinking that I will just take the hand press and decap/resize on the road for now.  At least until I get more comfortable with what I am doing...

Thanks again to everyone for the help and ideas.
mtbadger