Author Topic: SU-16?...  (Read 2833 times)

Offline 1871

• Trade Count: (0)
SU-16?...
« on: September 06, 2008, 03:30:15 AM »
What say you- Good/Bad? How does it compare to mini-14? Anyone have a lot of rounds through one- any problems?

Thanks!

'71

Offline 1871

Re: SU-16?...
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 03:37:55 AM »
Sorry if I put this in the wrong place, please relocate if necessary. I'm usually in the NEF/H&R section but I find myself drawn up here to Keltec too!  :)

Thanks again!

'71

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 03:36:55 AM »
I have had several,I find them to be accurate,dependable and a hoot to have around.They ARE NOT A REPLACEMENT  for the various AR/M4 forgerys out there.
They are not built to take the punishment of a combat weapon, but are really good at the role of utility carbine/truck/camp gun. Lots of addon's available ie; sights ,optics,and the guys over at KTOG.com have done some great mod's to them  hth     Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline 1871

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 09:08:42 AM »
Thanks!

One more question- As far as the front sight goes- one model having it out at the tip of the barrel and another model having it located on the front of the gas block- is one more preferable to the other?

'71

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 06:21:10 AM »
If you are going to use the iron sights I would go for the SU16A,SU16B .The longer sight radius is a great help.If you are going to put some form of optics I am not sure it make a great deal of difference.  HTH     Doug

Offline danza

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 11:13:28 AM »
i have the SU16CA...the one with the front sight on the gas block.

it's a good carbine for close in stuff and will normally shoot MOA out to 200 yds but can be finicky about the fodder it's fed.

it's relitively simple and easy to disassemble for maintenance and cleaning.

it's not designed for 'tack driving' but it's adequate for close in 'varminting'.

i think their weakest feature is the stock design (for the CA) the 'fold up' has one pivot point.

it certainly would work for close engagements of the combatative nature.

many have questioned as to whether it is 'comparable' to the AR/M16 as a combat weapon...if it were the only choice available, yes, it's suitable, for the short term.

parts and accessories are no where near as abundant as for the AR series rifles.

the website is www.ktog.org

if i get another "combat" style AR, it will be a stag arms 6L varmit...

Offline Holiday

• Contributor
    • http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-holidayhayes
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 07:49:22 AM »
I have one and have to agree with pretty much all that has been said. I have owned several Mini's and three Ar-15's over the years. While the Ar and the Mini would certainly be better if I had to perform a butt stroke to the head, I don't reall forsee that being a problem. In fact, I have to say that I am not only impressed with the little carbine, I dare say it is one of my favorites. As to the model and the sights, As said both the A and B model are better for Iron sight use, but I should note that the B model has a thinner and lighter barrel(I have the B model). The A has a heavier barrel but has polymer sights where as the B has metal sights. The B model sights can be purchased and retrofitted to the B. The C and CA models have the sight on the gas block and have a heaver barrel as well. Also, the C and CA model have a treaded muzzel and will accept all muzzel brakes and other accesories tha will fit on an AR. If I were to get anothe one I would probably look for the CA. I am verry happy with my B, but I have added a red dot dite to it and I think the gas block sight on the CA  looks really cool(yeah, i know, not a practical thought, but hey, I'm a sucker for cool guns!). The fact that it uses AR mags is a real plus. And as to accuracy, so far it seems to do better than all the Mini-14s I have had. Hope this helps.
Holiday Hayes
Darksider, Gunfighter
"Just a simple Cowboy, tryin' ta git along"

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 05:06:06 AM »
Interesting! I had a C model briefly. Briefly because it was a total POS. Frequent failures to feed, misfires, and accuracy was about 3" at 50 yards. I tried four different factory loads and several handloads and my M1 Carbine would outshoot it easily. It seemed like a cool idea but accuracy was useless other than for close range defense and the unreliability made it useless for that. If you like to shoot I'd save up for an AR.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline bubbinator

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 07:39:39 PM »
I like my SU-16C fine.  I added the forend kit and it now sports a foregrip and a light on a 45 degree angle mount.  Sight is Bushnell Holo-sight (EOTECH-lite?, same reticle as EOTECH.  Mine loves WW 60gr. Nosler Partition load. I initially had some FTE/FTF issues and Kel-Tec Customer Service sent me a new extractor kit and since then all is well.  I used in in LE work prior to retirement and now as a truck/home def. set-up. The more you shoot it the better it runs.

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 11:54:41 AM »
My SU16A, compact fore end  ,flashlight Millet DMS scope, Warne QR rings.Weighs 8 lbs 2 oz. With 40 rounds aboard.  Doug

Offline Rex B

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 07:16:03 AM »
I bought mine used, had many FTEs at first.
KT sent me a new extractor. No joy.
Then I noticed it had no ejector, just an empty hole.
KT sent me ejector, spring, retaining pin.
All is good.

Amazing how much better a device works when all the pieces are there.