Author Topic: Uberti 1860 Army Shoots High  (Read 2454 times)

Offline Down Range

• Trade Count: (0)
Uberti 1860 Army Shoots High
« on: December 05, 2011, 12:03:10 PM »
After several (about 10 ) trips to the range sending .452 dia 200 grain round balls down range in my 1860 Army .44 (Uberti) using 30 gr of FFFG using a lubed (Gatfeo1 recipe) wad and cream of wheat on some (not all), I'm finding that no matter what, it shoots high.

About a foot high at 25 yards. About 6-8 inches high at 50 yards.

Any suggestions? 
One obvious answer would be to raise the front sight (build it up). Any other ideas?

I have also adjusted BP to 35 grains as well as 25 grains. Doesn't seem to matter.
What am I doing wrong?
Frustrated...

Offline rdstrain49

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Uberti 1860 Army Shoots High
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 02:38:56 PM »
You are going to have to decide at what range you want it to hit POA.  Then lower the rear sight.  This will take a number of trips to the range.  Two or three strokes of a file, then shoot a group.  Repeat until satisfied.  If you are not proficient with a file, practice on a piece of scrap until you can file "square".  Sounds easy, is NOT.  Practice before you file on the hammer/sight. 

This is a very common complaint of the Colts.  No big deal, fix it or learn to live with it.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 05:07:27 AM »
Yes the Italians shoot high, but the originals did also.  The handgun was considered a 'close range' weapon to be used by the cavalry until empty, then they would switch to their sabers.  But they considered any hit in the chest cavity enough to do the job, so the gun was designed to hit an upright man somewhere in the chest from 0 to 100 yds with a center hold.  It got the job done.  Wanting to actually pick the spot we want to hit came later in the development of the handgun along with better sights.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline McDerry

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 08:48:34 PM »
Are you shooting conicals (200 grs +/-) or round ball (145 grs +/-)?

Conicals/Heavies  will tend to shoot higher.

Hows it grouping? 

My 1860 shoots high aswell as most everyone's does.  At 25 yards I'm about 5" high with a 145 gr ball ontop of 35 grs by volume of Pyrodex RS.  I just aim a little low.  With some practice it becomes second nature with the colts. 

Offline Fingers McGee

• Avid Poster
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 07:18:58 AM »
The easiest way to get the POI down is to open the sight notch in the hammer.  Depending on the make of the revolver, they run anywhere from being nothing more than a scratch in the nose of the hammer up to an honest to goodness notch.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee
Man of many Colt's and alter ego of Diabolical Ken
SASS Regulator 28654-L-TG, Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire
Pistoleer/Frontiersman, Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers; Moniteau Creek River Raiders, The Ozark's Posse, Butterfield Trail Cowboys
NRA Endowment Life: NMLRA, GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-115; STORM 327, LASOOS 144, SBSS735

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be."  Ambrose Bierce

Offline rdstrain49

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 04:08:32 PM »
KISS, just listen to Fingers

Offline Fingers McGee

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 05:43:10 PM »
Hey RD,  I see you still havent found a place down here yet.  My real estate lady wasn't able to help?
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers; Moniteau Creek River Raiders, The Ozark's Posse, Butterfield Trail Cowboys
NRA Endowment Life: NMLRA, GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-115; STORM 327, LASOOS 144, SBSS735

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be."  Ambrose Bierce

Offline rdstrain49

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
Fingers;
Don't remember her off hand, but apparently no.  Still trying, harder than ever since there's a foot of snow on the ground here. :(

Offline Fingers McGee

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 03:28:30 PM »
That would be Bev Post of Post Realty here in Laquay

I'll do some looking around.  Saw a 101 acres for sale north of here today; but no house.

Offline rdstrain49

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 11:45:08 AM »
PM sent

Offline Fingers McGee

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 05:33:26 PM »
Email reply sent

Offline BobJ

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 03:40:25 AM »
Fingers, I know this is incredibly dumb, but hey, at least I am past the denial stage in my 12 step program.

I filed the hammer notch on my 1860 Army from one of your earlier posts, great improvement. To lower POI, tho, I would have to hold the front sight at the bottom of the notch?

Offline Fingers McGee

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 07:54:48 AM »
I filed the hammer notch on my 1860 Army from one of your earlier posts, great improvement. To lower POI, tho, I would have to hold the front sight at the bottom of the notch?

Possibly.  It really depends on the height of your hammer, height of the front sight and how much you opened the notch.  You really have to file a little, shoot a little, file a little, shoot a little to get it where you want it.