Author Topic: New Binocular purchase  (Read 584 times)

Offline contendernut

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.contendernut.com
New Binocular purchase
« on: October 20, 2003, 03:30:29 PM »
I have decided to replace my current binoculars before deer season rolls around.  I really wasn't sure on what I was going to get.  I went to the only place within driving distance to look at what they had.  I want either 7x42 or8x42's and looked at:
Kahles 8x42
Leica 8x42
Swar. 8x30's
Leupold WR Pinnicles 8x42
Bushnell Legend 8x42
Pentax DCF ?? 8x43
Zeiss 8x30's
They didn't have any Swar. other than the 8x30's and I just don't like the 8x30's.  All of them I have looked at seem to tire my eyes more than the 8x42's.  The Zeiss were around $300-400 but I didn't like them at all.  

The top two that I picked were the Kahles and Leicas.  I was there at mid-day and it was full sunshine so I really didn't get a good low light comparison.  Both were very clear and bright but the Leicas were best.  I'm not sure of the model of the Leicas and the sales guy didn't know.  They were a lot heavier than the Kahles and bulkier.  I think Leica makes another model that is smaller and lighter than the model I looked at.  

Anyone have any comparision of the lighter Leica's, Swaroski 8x42  and the Zeiss that aren't compacts?
-----------
Gary

Offline tominboise

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
New Binocular purchase
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2003, 05:49:45 PM »
I don't know about the Swarovski's, as I've never looked thru them, but I do own the Leica 8X42 BA's, and couldn't be happier with them. I compared them with the Zeiss Victory 8X42, and I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.  I chose the Leica as I got a good buy at Bearbasin.com on them.  The Leica are heavier, but they are nice....I wish I would have bought them years ago.....

Tom
Regards,

Tom

Offline markdeerhunter

Binoculars
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2003, 03:59:00 AM »
I have the Swarovski SLC 7x42.Fantastic resolution and low light veiwing
Pick a spot and let it fly

Offline Naphtali

• Contributor
New Binocular purchase
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 08:35:09 AM »
Hi guys:

I agree that all of your options are acceptable. And binoculars are "acceptable" or "unacceptable."

How much weight you are willing to carry, how durable the binocular will be years from now -- on these are what you make your choice.

I notice many of you prefer larger binoculars. I have used binoculars from 56 ounces naked to what I use now. My Zeiss 8x30 B/GA IF Olive (Classic) weighs 25 ounces, including strap, objective and ocular lens covers, and umbral lenses for viewing over snow. These ARE NOT the binocular you looked at. Since December 2001, they are available only in Europe. They are Zeiss' equivalent of a stone axe.

As you pass 40-45 years old, your pupils can dilate to only about 3.75 mm. So a binocular's ability to accommodate larger dilation becomes irrelevant.

First-quality 7x28s or 8x30s are acceptable for low light. And they are much more convenient to carrying as you get older, or hunt the high country on foot. The problem is unless you try a binocular at dusk or dawn for about 30 minutes, the only sure way to get quality is spend the bucks.

The good part is you spend once a lifetime.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell