Author Topic: Simmons has changed.  (Read 672 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Simmons has changed.
« on: February 24, 2010, 09:18:02 AM »
I purchased several low end Simmons rifle scopes in the late 1990's up til around 2003 to use on my small bores, and was impressed by the lens quality and function.  I had bought a bunch of rifles at the time and wanted something temporary until I could get upper level scopes, but these older Simmons work so well I am leaving things be.  I also used Nikons on my harder kicking rifles.

Decided to put a scope on my Ruger 10/22 sporter model and got another Simmons, it is the whitetail classic version.  Looking outside it seemed fine as I was using distant items to check for clarity etc.  Went to the range to site it in last week, brought along my CZ with an older Simmons and what a difference at 50 yards in clarity! :o  The new Simmons is very disappointing in clarity for seeing .22 rimfire sized bullets.  I had read somewhere that Simmons was bought out and is now part of a bigger corporate family, I will need to look at getting another Nikon for this rifle, and suspect that Simmons has gone down the tubes.  They even have greater limits on the so-called lifetime warranty.  They say now that depreciation due to normal wear and tear are not valid.  I guess that means that if you install it on your rifle and carry it in the field, then the warranty is no good.

I will need to be careful with the Simmons on my other guns, and move up to more expensive optics from now on. 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Simmons has changed.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 09:22:38 AM »
The older Japan and Philippine made Simmons scopes were excellent optics for the money, they've since moved production to China, have been bought and sold several times, current owner since 2008 is Bushnell.

Tim

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushnell_Corporation
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 02:17:55 PM »
I'll personally stay away from cheap products when it comes to shooting, especially when they are made in China.  You generally get what you pay for these days.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 02:29:31 PM »
They made a good scope for the money when ATK owned them. The red ring Simmons were always junk. Meade ran them in the toliet in my opinion.  ATK tried to revive some of the old Aetec stuff with the Intensity line.  Now they are being discontinued...If you can find one,snatch it up...They are well worth the price.