Author Topic: Light weight first youth rifle?  (Read 2604 times)

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
Re: Light weight first youth rifle?
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2010, 12:28:39 PM »
45 Colt Carbine weighs around 6 1/4 lbs. Recoil level is perfect for kids.

Yeah, and when he grows a little it can be reamed to .454 or .460.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline PeterCartwright

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2010, 02:56:34 PM »
If legal the .223 UL would work with a Barnes X bullet as a buddy of mine in Texas started his daughter out with a .223 UL and loaded it with Barnes X bullet and that is one deadly whitetail killing machine with good range.

I'm not interested in starting any fights, but I set up just such a rig in a youth stock and a small, Weaver 4X scope.  I used it myself before offering it for use by smaller statured, recoil sensitive shooters.  The average sized doe  I shot dropped very, very quickly after taking a 53 gr. TSX through lungs and heart.  Interior damage caused by the effective copper bullet was very impressive.

I also use a standard Handi in .30-30 with a youth sized buttstock for use by younger shooters.  This rig shoots Remington 150 gr. factory loads very, very well.  It's deadly on deer sized game.

PC

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2010, 03:32:33 PM »
I vote 45lc carbine with Ati stock set.  Lop is as small as 10 inches and it weighs 5.5 pounds.  Same but with 357 barrel is 6.5 pounds.  With 243 super lite barrel rail and rings an even 6 pounds.
The 45 and 357 were weighed with open sights. Hope this helps.

Jerry
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2010, 12:19:32 AM »
Well let me put in my 2 cents worth.
 Having been involved with a youth hunting group for over 20 years that has harvested over 16,000 deer, I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable in what it takes to kill a Texas whitetail.The VAST majority of the deer have been shot with 222 Rem & 243 Win. They have 42 Model 670 Winchesters that were donated many years ago, 21 222's & 21 243's. We had a problem with the 243 100 gr bullets not expanding in the deer at close range (jackets were too heavy) .After going to 80 gr bullets they drop in place usually. The little 222 with a 50 gr bullet is deadly on a Texas whitetail! Keep in mind that these deer are shot by a kid with little or no prior marksmanship training, just a dedicated adult guide instructing and coaching the youngster.
   I personally have used 22calibers for many years and they kill just as fast a large caliber super booming magnum WITH a properly placed shot.I have also found over the years that it is not the recoil that hurts the kid it is the lack of instruction about controlling it. (hold a light rifle loose or low and try it out)

check out their web site:
www.operationorphans.org
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2010, 02:58:26 AM »

H&R 223/243's are what the Conservation Youth Hunts Management here in my area of Missouri recommend. Simple in their design,easy on the shoulder,and with proper hearing protection and training,and deadly in the field.

People can flame on and on and on about using 223/243's and how many other calibers are so much better..but the kids shooting these 2 calibers when they connect are exceedingly happy and there are a whole bunch of new young deer hunters in Missouri every year.

The Partitions or Fusions in both of these are deadly on deer when the yardage is correct and with proper shot placement. I would say get even a small child a Ultra Varmint with the heavier weight barrel,and put a youth stock on it along with a nice foam cheek pad,have some of the best hearing protection and safety glasses and a good shooting stick/bi-pod/rest for them to shoot off of., not to mention the widest padded sling for them to carry it with.If it's too heavy for them to tote around,carry it for them...after all it is about the kids being out hunting with the parents or mentors..not the adult hunting...so let them carry it a little while and you carry it a little while..It gets them used to it and after a while they will be.Not to mention having the heavier weight barrel will help them keep it steadier than a ultra-light one. Most of these kids aren't us and taking snap shots at the deer first time out...nor should they be...They should be shooting off some type of rest to do their best...Like the saying from the Patriot movie...aim small..hit small...As long as the youth stock is matched to that child's frame and the sights/scope is set for their eyes..they will do surprisingly well...

Good Luck

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2010, 08:07:40 AM »
I like 223 with Barnes or nosler partions too.  I was just giving lightest weight barrel and stock config that I had on hand to weigh.  The others I gave actual weights as I measured them.  45 lc with ati stock is very light weight.

Heck, I bought Barnes to load in my 22hornet. :)

Jerry
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2010, 10:38:03 AM »
I like the idea of a .223 UL with a stout bullet made specifically for deer hunting. Could double as a varmint rifle in another season.  ;)

Thanks, Dinny

I totally agree.  I think a good .223 load like the 64 gr Winchester PP or some of the other bullets mentioned are more than adequate.  I remember getting advice about deer calibers with a long-time hunter and gunsmith who was a friend of mine.  His take was 'anything lethal on a human will be lethal on a whitetail.'  'Same body mass.'  Seems too many guys try to make up for poor shot placement with more power.  Now, I admit that more is usually better - provided it is controlled.

Anyway, biggest turn-off I've seen working with young kids is a gun that kicks the tar out of 'em.  Even many so-called 'mild-recoiling' calibers, in a light gun, will do that.  One kid I was teaching ended up with a 'Weatherby eyebrow' shooting a .243 (80gr loads) from the bench.  Must have warned him at least 3-4 times about creeping up on the scope. Well, he was done for the day and went 'gun-shy.'

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2010, 10:52:58 AM »
One kid I was teaching ended up with a 'Weatherby eyebrow' shooting a .243 (80gr loads) from the bench.  Must have warned him at least 3-4 times about creeping up on the scope. Well, he was done for the day and went 'gun-shy.'

My nephew had the same problem with a 243 Handi Superlight. I got it for him thinking of it as a light recoiling rifle with good power. He hated it... the recoil was very sharp and it was uncomfortable for him to shoot from the bench.

Spanky

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2010, 11:13:14 AM »
ok my son starded killing deer at 7 when he passed his hunter ed.coarse...most are right in the list above....the barrel weight is killing the little one......law says barrel length must be 16 in. on a rifle....it doest say the barrel must be rifled for 16 in.........i had a 3 357 barrels a 10 in a12 in and a 13 in...the 10 in was turned small in dia...12 a little bigger...i3 a little larger in dia....put tubes on end to make legal lengh collasable stock and red dot scope with sling under 5 pounds.....chamber for 357 max.....loaded light 38 with lead he wanted to shoot it it was fun ......he got preety good.....i loaded 357 whene deer season was on he never felt the addtional recoil....cause he thouhgt he was still shooten the 38......hes 10 now and is up to the 13 in max ...he loads the maxes himself,,,,,killed a 9 pointer this year its going on the wall inbetween moms 8 point and my 10 piont,,,,,,,,,,,,thanks jb