Author Topic: Pardner Compact 20 gauge for turkey  (Read 2777 times)

Offline jeffcneal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Pardner Compact 20 gauge for turkey
« on: February 05, 2010, 03:44:46 PM »
Does anyone here have any experiance with this gun for turkey?  I know a Pardner Compact Turkey model is advertised,  but the 22" fixed mod. choke on a 20 leaves me with some concerns.  Suggestions on shell selections would also be appreciated.

thanks,
Jeff
Most people are sheep, some are wolves.  I'm a sheepdog.

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
Re: Pardner Compact 20 gauge for turkey
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 02:11:49 AM »
Jeff,

The only experince I have is with a H&R Topper Junior Class (TJC) which has the 22" mod. 20 ga. barrel, like the new compact gun. I purchased this gun for the wife, but she is now using a Topper Deluxe Classic (TDC). My duaghter used the TJC for a turkey season in Missouri acouple of years ago. We patterned it and with the 20 ga. 2 1/2 dram. eq. 1 oz. number 6  gameload had killing pattens at 20 yards. She had a Turkey within range , but don't drop the hammer on him. I was calling and Mrs Rhonda was setup with her. It was a great hunt that both of them will remeber for the rest of their lives. Quick has been doing patterning test with some new loads in his 20 ga. TDC and hopefully he will share with you his findings.

Good Luck and I think it will work if you keep the gun within its killing range.

Froghunter
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 02:25:07 AM »
The first turkey season that I hunted with my Pardner 20 gauge screw in choke model I couldn't find a turkey choke locally so I just used the factory MOD choke that it came with. I found that Remington Wingmaster 3" #4 HD shot pattened well out to 30 yards. I've since bought an aftermarket turkey choke and you know what? It ain't much better than the factory MOD choke. I may have gotten a few extra yards of killing pattern but that's it.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 02:07:47 PM »
Thanks for the info guys, that eases my mind.  I'd like to have a turkey specific gun, but that's exactly what it'd be since "modified" works for everything else I hunt.

thanks again,
Jeff

Offline zackyholdem

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 05:27:10 PM »
i know quite a few people who shoot that same gun as a back up turkey gun and they get very good patterns with federal heavyweight in size 6 and 7 with the flitecontrol wad, also try out some federal copper plated 6's with the flitecontrol wad, either of these shells should give you killing patterns out to at least 35 yards, the flitecontrol wad really likes a clean barrel.

good luck Zack
When freedom shivers in the cold shadow of true peril, Its always the patriots who first hear the call. - Charlton Heston

Handi's -30-06, 223 Ultra, 7mm-08, 44 mag, 45-70, 17hmr, Tracker II 12ga, Pardner 10ga (2)12ga's and .410

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 01:33:03 PM »
I just picked up an undertaker turkey choke for my 20ga TDC I'll let you know how it works
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 02:12:58 PM »
Y'all have no idea how much this info is appreciated!  Spikehorn, looking forward to hearing how that tube performs.  And zackyholdem, if I can duplicate that 35 yard kill pattern with my particular gun this will be one happy camper.

My goal is a clean, 1 shot kill with this mod. choked 20 gauge [hunted everything else for 35 years and this is my 1st turkey season].  In my neck of the woods, a Pardner Turkey model is about $160 which is about $159 more than I can spend on a gun for an annual 2-bird limit.  But next year...

thanks to all,
Jeff

Offline zackyholdem

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 07:12:12 AM »
jeff,
    another shell that i forgot to add is the winchester high velocity 3" 1 5/16oz #5 shell, between this shell and the federal flight control, they are probably the 2 best performing 20 gauge lead shells on the market, either one or both of these shell will give you killing patterns at your desired distance.

the best way to test is to get a 30"x30" piece of paper and shoot at it from your desired distance, and then draw a 10" circle around the densest part of the pattern and count how many pellets you can get in a 10" circle, if you can get at least 75 pellets in the circle then you have a killing pattern, the distance at which you can no longer get more than 75 pellets in the circle is your maximum effective range.

good luck Zack, and if you have any further questions please feel free to pm me
When freedom shivers in the cold shadow of true peril, Its always the patriots who first hear the call. - Charlton Heston

Handi's -30-06, 223 Ultra, 7mm-08, 44 mag, 45-70, 17hmr, Tracker II 12ga, Pardner 10ga (2)12ga's and .410

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 06:38:03 AM »
Shot the 20ga TDC today with the undertaker turkey choke. Using 3" Remington nitro turkey 1.25oz #5 and a 6" shoot-n-c at 30 yards it put 48 pellets inside the shoot-n-c. I'm thinking 30 yards is about the max I would pull the trigger at.
                                                              410ga

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 07:43:46 AM »
you know just because its a turkey model doesnt mean you cant hunt other things with it ive got the turkey model with the fixed full choke and its a preety decent coyote gun with no 4 buckshot out to about 30 yards also shoot slugs pretty well to also shoot a lot of clays with it as well
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 09:04:42 AM »
you know just because its a turkey model doesnt mean you cant hunt other things with it ive got the turkey model with the fixed full choke and its a preety decent coyote gun with no 4 buckshot out to about 30 yards also shoot slugs pretty well to also shoot a lot of clays with it as well
But then what excuse would I have to buy more handis
                                                              410ga

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 02:19:14 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to get a new shotgun.  It's just not in this years budget.  So my mod. choked 20 is going to have to be the answer for smoked turkey this season.  By next year I'll either have a full choke gun or a tube capable barrel [Spikehorn- thanks for the info on the Undertaker].

And sachel.45, you're right on the money!  That sounds a bit more sporting than my 243 Handi.

Patterning test starts this weekend and I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.  I've managed to locate all the loads mentioned by everyone except for one, and a friend at the plant said he'd buy me a box on Friday [Remington ammo plant is only about 20 miles down the road].

Again, my thanks to all and additional input is welcome and appreciated.

sincerely,
Jeff

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 10:29:20 AM »
Well guys I don't turkey hunt with a pardner, but I do shoot a 20 gauge for turkeys. I shoot a Remington 870 Express Magnum youth model with a truglo gobble stopper tube and Remington Nitro #5's in 3 inch. I killed one last year 55 long steps with it (didn't realize he was that far). Now am I saying this is a 55 yard turkey gun --- NO!!!!!, but I am saying that a 20 gauge with the right load and choke is an adequate turkey gun.

Jeff

Just pattern your gun. I buy the turkey head targets from walmart and shoot those. When I can no longer put 25 pellets in the head and neck that is my limit. I get 45 steps consistently with my 870.

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 02:19:51 PM »
I'm on it Daman.  Tomorrow I get the last of the suggested loads, I've already got the patterning targets, and a big old bottle of Advil.

It's my intention to find my guns best load at 30 yards on Saturday, and over the next few weeks check for "doughnuts" at closer ranges.  Sounds crazy, but years ago I had a Mossberg 20 gauge with a fixed mod. choke that I swear had a "safe zone" between 15 and 20 yards.

thanks for the advice,
Jeff

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 02:01:36 PM »
Remington 3" magnum Nitro Turkey 1.25oz. #5's won out in the end. 

My sincere thanks to all for the advice and encouragement.

best regards,
Jeff

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 03:14:06 PM »
Jeffcneal good hunting! our season starts here May 1st, can't wait got the 1st 8 days of season off. Gunna leave the 12ga to my kid. 20ga is gunna be fun get em in close!
                                                              410ga

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 03:13:05 AM »
Jeff

We're all happy to help! I am sure you will be pleased with the knock down of the Nitro's. You may want to take one 40 yard shot just to check your pattern. It sucks to have one hang up just past your chosen range and then later realize he was dead walking if you would have just pulled the trigger. Good luck.

Our season starts March 15 and I am on spring break from college and got the week off from work too. Me and the wife will be spending the week with my favorite hunting buddy, my Papa - see my Avatar. Hadn't spent much time with him since I got married a year ago so he is excited about the week needless to say. We are already patterning the birds (there are two that are begging to die-doing the same thing every morning at the same time!).

Daman

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 05:02:21 PM »
The best of luck to you and your hunting partners Daman.  Nothing ever dreamed of is better than Family Time outdoors!

best regards,
Jeff

Offline shotgunhntr

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 08:02:33 PM »
Bottom of page 1 in the link I sent will show you what someone else did with a compact NEF 20.

http://oldgobbler.com/TheForum/index.php/topic,24052.0.html

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 05:44:15 AM »
Well shotgunhntr, I followed the link, saw the picture, and now my wife's going to kill me for starting a new project.  But seriously, thanks for passimg it on.

regards,
Jeff

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 03:07:44 AM »
Thanks Jeff. If you are ever in South Alabama around hunting season PM me and I'll be glad to share a breakfast and hunt with you anytime!

Daman

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 03:00:27 AM »
You bet!  We pass through that way every so often.

regards,
Jeff

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 03:22:15 AM »
I am 50 miles north of Mobile. We hunt deer, turkey, hogs and squirrel so from Oct. 15 - April 30 there is something going on. This goes for any of you guys. If y'all are ever down this way shoot me a PM and we will try to hook up.

Daman

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 04:04:52 AM »
I would like to extend an invite to all to Hunt the rabbits behind Beagle (the week after Thanksgiving to End of Feb) and to Hunt ducks in the marshes of the Delaware Bay (Mid Sept to end Jan). Don't know about geese yet, but maybe in the future. If you're in the area and would like to hunt, PM me and we can work out the details.

Froghunter
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 06:36:38 AM »
Froghunter

If I ever am in Delaware, I will have to take you up. Never had the chance to hunt behind a good rabbit dog. Always spot and stalk. Kick em out of brush piles and stuff like that.

Daman

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2010, 01:50:49 PM »
That's like me Daman, love to hunt bunnies but I've never been with pups.  But I've got to admit that it sounds like too much fun!

regards,
Jeff

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 03:04:01 AM »
I am definately going to get more serious about turkey hunting this year. I have hunted them off and on in the past and had a good time doing it. I,ve patterned my gun and it throws a good pattern out to a bit more than 30 yds,but 30 is my limit.It's a full choke pardner 20,and I got myself some decoys. I'm driving my poor dog nuts practicing calling but he'll get over it , I hope. May 1st will be here before I know it,and I hope this heavy snow doesn't damage the flocks to badly. Good luck to you all.hope you get long beards and good spurs.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2010, 05:54:57 AM »
This snow is to early for it to do much to the flocks behavior a few years ago we had a big snow in late April and it screewed them all up to our advantage because by May 1st alot of hens were already on thier eggs and the heavy snow we got killed alot of eggs so by May 1st there were twice the usual numbers of breeding hens out. With that much activity the toms really get stupid.
                                                              410ga

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2010, 08:40:58 AM »
In this case (toms) stupid is good.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"