Author Topic: Doesn't happen often  (Read 1756 times)

Offline rem700-3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • Contributor
Doesn't happen often
« on: April 01, 2010, 07:50:32 AM »
This big boy was killed free chase on a fluke in Alabama, I had heard that a few hundred were turned loose about 20 miles from where I killed him about 7 years ago but had not seen any.

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: Doesn't happen often
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 08:06:24 AM »
    Looks good to me. I sure would like to shoot one. Doubt if i ever will though. :(.
                        bobg

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 01:58:03 PM »
For some reason I was thinking feral hogs when I began to read your post.  That is a much better animal to shoot than a hog.  Congrats!
markc

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 07:37:23 PM »
I'm not aware of any such release. It would be in violation of state law and would have been at the time. In fact it's not even legal to import them into the state much less release them.

Now at one time a whole bunch more than seven years ago there was a 200 acre game farm near Ohatchee and in fact just a very few short miles from where I live now and have since July '94 but the game farm was gone before I moved here I'm sure.

They did have a tornado rip thru and knock down the fence in many places and a lot of the animals got loose. Folks have or did way back then kill both fallow and axis in this area along with a lot of other critters odd to the area. They claimed to have rounded up all that got loose but the fact folks shot them in the years afterward is good evidence they did not in fact. Luckily the two tigers did not get out.

I'd not totally rule out the possibility some survived and bred but think it highly unlikely. By now all would have died of old age that were released by the storm.

What part of Alabama are you talking about?

They do still have fallow in Conecuh I think it is as there is/was an active reproducing herd on the WMA there.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rem700-3

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 02:54:00 AM »
I'm not aware of any such release. It would be in violation of state law and would have been at the time. In fact it's not even legal to import them into the state much less release them.

Now at one time a whole bunch more than seven years ago there was a 200 acre game farm near Ohatchee and in fact just a very few short miles from where I live now and have since July '94 but the game farm was gone before I moved here I'm sure.

They did have a tornado rip thru and knock down the fence in many places and a lot of the animals got loose. Folks have or did way back then kill both fallow and axis in this area along with a lot of other critters odd to the area. They claimed to have rounded up all that got loose but the fact folks shot them in the years afterward is good evidence they did not in fact. Luckily the two tigers did not get out.

I'd not totally rule out the possibility some survived and bred but think it highly unlikely. By now all would have died of old age that were released by the storm.

What part of Alabama are you talking about?

They do still have fallow in Conecuh I think it is as there is/was an active reproducing herd on the WMA there.

These were released in western Jefferson county Bill. It did happen about 7 years ago. I spoke with the Game Warden from the area last night and he told me the name of the guy who released them. They know for a fact it happened and that he did it, but did not see it happen and cant prove it. I was told that he released Red Stag, Fallow, Axis and lots of wild boar. I have not seen anything but the Fallow and boar (which we have a very,very large population of) but a couple of guys that work for me have seen Axis does they just did not know what they were. Yes it was and is illeagll to import them but it still happens alot.

Offline markc

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 03:39:56 AM »
Do you think the guy released the animals because he could no longer afford to feed them out?  It has happened in Texas recently.  The economy downturn has fewer people paying money to hunt exotics down here, and the reports I hear are that some game ranchers are simply releasing some animals to keep their numbers down.   While it sounds like a dream to many, it means the native game have more competition for the available food sources.   We all know what happens when someone releases feral hogs. 
markc

Offline rem700-3

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 03:48:36 AM »
This guy never even had a fence. He turned them loose thinking that they would stay on the 3000 acres that he ownes, now they are supposedly every where except his 3000 acres.  I was told that ther are pretty large herds on some of the mining property around us, I guess they stay there because no one messes with them.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 07:19:12 PM »
Nice, if I had that many acres and the money to do it so I'd not get caught I'd be tempted to do so as well. If I had axis and fallow to hunt I'd never shoot a whitetail again.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 05:10:50 PM »
+1 GB!  Me too...
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 12:42:29 AM »
from these last comments can I assume Axis and Fallow eat better than white tail?
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 04:31:51 AM »
Dunno if they eat better but they shore nuff taste better.  ;D

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 06:16:10 AM »
Fallow is a superb bit of venison  ;D almost as good as Roe. Funny thing is that the bits we ate of the 9 Point Whitetailed Buck (2003) I shot in Sullivan County MO tasted just fine. The rest was gifted to a local family as I could not bring it home. Fallow don't like any disturbance and if they get disturbed a bit too often they up and leave. They will travel quite a ways in a night some say 20 miles.

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 05:55:45 PM »
Around here venison in restaurants is normally Axis. My Axis and Fallow I processed myself. None of it went to waste, none was ground up, and none was made into sausage. The wife thought about buying Axis meat online because she liked it so much until she saw the prices.
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 03:12:06 AM »
Gives you a GREAT excuse to git one yourownself!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 08:49:25 AM »
Yea! There is a place about 50 miles from the house. I keep thinking about running up there one Saturday and taking a doe for the meat and skin.
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album