Author Topic: Original Winchester Silver Tips in .358...refresh me memory....  (Read 696 times)

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Original Winchester Silver Tips in .358...refresh me memory....
« on: February 28, 2010, 09:46:16 AM »
Hi All,

A good bud, Griz66, gave me a box of bullets that are the original silvertips, 250gr in .358.  I can't remember, are they a premium bullet or similar to a corelokt? 
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Savage_99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Original Winchester Silver Tips in .358...refresh me memory....
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 10:01:26 AM »
While I used the 200 gr Silvertip from a .358W. with great results on whitetails for a half century I read that John Barsness says that the Silvertip is not a controlled expanding bullet!

Search at 24hrcampfire for his report.  I referenced it elsewhere too.

All in all those Silvertips will expand.  Not sure if I would trust them for deep pentration on tough game.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 10:41:05 AM »
 ;)99, is correct..the old Silvertip was not a premium bullet as we know it today..I like my 200 grain in the .358, but it is not a Nosler...In fact Nosler shot a huge bull moose with a .300 H & H and had the bullets explode with  out proper penetration...I may have just dreamed it but one of the popular bullets in that cal. was the 180 grain Silvertip....I have shot some game with the 220 grain Win. Silvertip in my old .300 Win. even on whitetails and antelope, it was pretty soft........

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 10:48:10 AM »
I agree, when the produced the 250's there was no such thing as premium line of loaded ammo... Federal MAY have just come out. I cannot remember the year off hand, but its going back at least 25-30 years.

I bought my first 358 in the late '80's and I do not think they where avalible, only the 200's where. I loaded the excellent Speer 250RN back then for the heavy stuff and Hornady 200SP for the lighter ones.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 10:58:50 AM »
Thanks for the quick response....sure are PURDY bullits!!!  I'll just hang onto'm....I also got a couple boxes of Hornady interlocks, 250gr RN that I'll try in a whalen.  I have 200grs and the best I can do with them is 4" at 100 with a Rem 750 Wingmaster.  It's going back to the shop in hopes that someone will appreciate it more than me and I'll order a CDL, same caliber.

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
In their day, meaning back when they first came out, the Core loct was considered to be a "premium" bullet and the silver tip was kinda more or less about the same. But those were long ago and innocent days when folks didn't understand what a "premium bullet" really was. Kinda like now really when everyone claims every bullet made is a premium.  :o

They are covered in an aluminum coating and while they look pretty they aren't a controlled expansion bullet by any stretch. However at the velocity a .358 Winchester can push a 250 grain bullet they would do quite fine in it. They would be a very controlled expansion bullet for a .35 Remington but a bit soft for a Whelen. It's really all a matter of how fast ya push them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 12:32:56 PM »
Warp speed of course!!!!!   :D

I'll load a few when I get the new gun and then we'll see.