Author Topic: H&R VS Rossi  (Read 977 times)

Offline ejpaul1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
H&R VS Rossi
« on: March 04, 2010, 03:35:15 PM »
So, some time ago I bought a handi in 243. Accurate as all get out but it didnt like reloads of any flavor and it would open after the shot was fired. Eventually started splitting cases. Couldnt use that barrel anymore. SO, I sent it in for a 45-70 barrel. What a difference! Tight, nice fit, super accurate and in general addictive.
The I had a weak moment and bought a rossi pair, 20 gage/223. Thin barrels, and less workmanship. The rifle isnt too accurate. Not horrible but a handi is better. The workmanship is completly evident. EJ

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: H&R VS Rossi
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 03:55:03 PM »
I've had a couple Rossi's. They are good guns. I gave one to my nephew and traded the other one to get my 44 mag back. They are both good shooting guns and the fit and finish on them is the same level as my Handi's.

Spanky

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 04:00:45 PM »
I bought a Youth Rossi 22/410 combo that I made into a 22 Mag/22 Hornet combo.  The barrels were nothing to write home about, but the finish on the receiver was really amazing.  With a scope on them they are both under 5 pounds each.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 04:02:44 PM »
I wouldn't buy a Rossi.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline ejpaul1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 05:41:17 PM »
maybe I got a newer cheaper one. It isnt bad, the rossi that is, the barrel just isnt as stout as the H&R I have. I do like it though.

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 06:24:40 PM »
In my neck of the woods Rossi's are taking over. Asked the guy at the candy store the other day to see what Hand's he could get from his suppliers because he doesn't have any in stock...he rolled his eyes and started showing me Rossi's. Can still see them in the rack at wally world...as long as you're looking for .223 or .243.
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline ejpaul1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 03:08:05 AM »
does rossi make a 45-70?

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 04:54:49 AM »
No, but they do have a 7.62x39

Offline ruppster

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 09:06:35 AM »
Rossi's are light, a little ugly (well maybe a lot if you consider Handis a little), and the barrels seem to not be made as well. They seem to shoot fine. I have 2 frames, one purchased as a 22/20ga youth combo and one 12ga slug gun. I have 5 total barrels and they all interchange & lock up tight, so either I'm lucky or they're tolerances are a bit tighter than H&R's. The one 17HMR barrel is made for the smaller 22/410 youth frame and it even locks up on the 2 larger frames. It seems like it would be okay to shoot, but I bought a "full-size" 17HMR barrel as well.
Trotterlg, you were playing around with the small frame Rossi, any use for a 17HMR?Gone