Author Topic: urban/ suburban deer  (Read 838 times)

Offline docmagnum357

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
urban/ suburban deer
« on: November 02, 2009, 03:02:47 PM »
I am new to archery hunting.  I bought a bow four years ago, with the best of intentions, but I never got around to getting to the farm in Ky during archery season.  That, and the white trash, poaching neighbors.....no use to try to hunt the food plots i put out, or the salt licks.  Hard to swallow.... I pay the taxes that pay those guys disability benfits.  I pay the taxes that bought and maintain the 10,000 acres of public land down the road, I also pay the taxes and insurance(in case one of the sorry S.O.B.s fall out of a tree stand on my land.  That's how they got disability in the first place, lying and stealing from soeone who would work).  So i have given up.  I used to see thirty to forty deer every night on my cover crops, now two or three is a good count.  Why fight it?  I have decided to hunt here in North Carolina.
     No one hunts where i live, because the land is broken into 3 to seven acre tracts, and we are very close to town.  We constantly see deer, and there are a few collisions each year with cars... What i wondered, are there any different rules for backyard deer?  I know all about farmland deer, from my teenage years.  We used to be very successful in middle Gergia, hunting over cropland.  I learned a few tricks about true "wild land" hunting in the mountains here.  Basically, walk, walk, walk, and walk some more til you find a food source.  mature eastern hardwoods are a lot like a desert, really.  When you find a good food source, like a good, heavy producing white oak, or a little creek with some grapes, you are in good shape.Deer eat, flp and sleep pretty close.  Are backyard deer the same?

Do they move more or less? Are they scent sensitive, or can you forget cover scents? Any tip will help.

Offline docmagnum357

• Avid Poster
Re: urban/ suburban deer
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 03:19:05 PM »
P.S.
I have no interest whatsoever in "trophy" deer.  while I respect anyone with the time and desire to hunt a big horned, smelly, swelled neck goat, I will shoot a nice, fat, doe every time. I am a meat hunter first and foremost. The trophy is on the plate, with a little juice running out, and some potatoes, and some nice homemade wheat bread....  Anyway, you get the picture.  Don't care anything for horns, can't eat them, don't want them.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 12:19:42 PM »
  No different rules except just make sure you're legal hunting in a surburban setting. A lot of surburban hunting takes place in Texas and is very successful. Depending on the location, some deer become a little de-sensitized by normal human contact but they still keep their senses and make for a great hunt. These areas are bow and crossbow only and make fine hunting locations.

Offline kodiakemt

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 09:30:14 AM »
I've got nothing to help you out but thanks for making me hungry!

Offline efremtags

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 03:03:37 AM »
I hunt westechester county (30 minutes north of NYC). If you can get a spot in a sub-urb, the deer are definately stupid compared to country deer, but are much harder to pattern and you usualy have less property to work with,. You also have outside forces that can effect your hunt like people raking leaves in the fall or kids playing outside. Since the properties are smaller, those things make it more of a challange. The payoff is that these sub-urban deer either get hit by a car or die of old age first, so there are some sleeper trophies in these areas.