Author Topic: West Kerr Ranch  (Read 1629 times)

Offline Flashole

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
West Kerr Ranch
« on: January 24, 2010, 02:50:43 PM »
Would like to tell you all about a trip my son and I just took the The West Kerr Ranch.  In the hill country of Tx.  Just like a lot of places out that way, it's big, 11,00 acres.  Was once part of the Y.O. ranch just like a lot of ranches there.  The Y.O. is down to 40,000 acre.  The West Kerr still shares a fince line with the Y.O. and is run by the Kana family.  Our guide was Kelcie Kana.  Her and her sister take care of all the hunting and do a real good job.  We were the only hunters last week and were after Sika deer.  The ranch is dripping with white tails and we saw a lot of Fallow, Axis and Blackbuck.  The hunting camp / lodge was 1st class without being fancy.  The ranch is high fenced like most in the area but I could not call this a canned hunt.  To big and to wild and all kinds of cover for the game. My son and I have jobs that make it tough to get a way during the hunting season in Tx   Places like this are ideal for us and as many of you know there is almost no public hunting here.  This was the best game ranch I have been on and I hope to make the same trip next year.  Check out the website
www.westkerrranch.com    =FLASH=
=FLASH=

Offline markc

Re: West Kerr Ranch
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 07:05:49 AM »
So Flash, can I assume that you meant 11,000 acres?  Did either you or your son shoot anything while there?   Pictures?  Come on with details of your hunt.  Otherwise the post seems a little bit like an advertisement only for the ranch.
markc

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 10:33:24 AM »
Prices are also too good to be true.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 10:46:24 AM »
I must not have been paying attention to prices lately Doug. When I looked them over I felt the prices a bit high. Admittedly they are tossing in some extra animals but the stay is fairly short and I have to wonder just how much chance you're gonna have to take advantage of that supposed plus.

It says hunts are semiguided and then later has some comments on stalking that lead me to believe the routine is a guide takes you to a stand and dumps you and you are expected to sit until they return for you. Been on one of those and don't plan to do that again. They seemed to forget we were there. The temp was 100+ in the shade if you could find any and we had no water and no wheels and the lodge was a LONG way off and well beyond my ability to walk there. I had a hog on the ground getting hotter by the moment as well.

Finally around dark with us dehyrated big time and me sunburned badly they showed up but not the one who took us out. Seems they finally missed us and sent someone looking. I don't plan to ever again be left in such a situation.

I agree that 10,000 acres is a really nice size piece of property and the potential of such a place is high. Without going I sure can't say what it's like when you get there but reading between the lines of what is on the site raises red flags in my mind based on treatment I've gotten at other places on other occasions.

It might be the nicest hunt I'd ever go on if I could go but with funds being what they are these days I don't see it happening anytime soon.

That four person minimum would be a deal killer for me. Me and the wife would be about a max I could muster and that would only be if funds improved drastically.

I love that part of Texas and 10,000 acres there would be like a dream come true to own and a heck of a lot of fun to hunt if things worked out as it should on a spread that size.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline markc

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 02:40:12 PM »
Well, if they won the Lone Star Land Steward award from the Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept, then thats a pretty good sign.  That was 10 years ago, so if they continued their programs, they should have a really healthy herd of critters.  Their fees for processing are a bit high, and the charge of $40.00 to donate your meat is not conducive to programs like hunters for the hungry.  GB, it says they accomodate single hunters, and weekday hunts require a party of 4, if I am reading correctly.  The exotic package hunts are not priced too bad.  When I read, "any size" on an exotic buck, it makes me think that there are no really big bucks to be found.  Then again this economy has really hurt many of these hunting operations.
markc

Offline Flashole

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 02:44:33 PM »
11,000 acres sorry.  I looked for several hours on the net and this was the best looking hunt that I found.  My son and I took the cheapest hunt on the ranch minus the doe hunts. After making contact with the ranch, a two person party was no issue.  Service was good, a trip out in the morning and again in the afternoon.  I would rather stalk hunt than stand hunt and would rather hunt a National Forest in Co. than a game ranch in Tx.  Time and health will no longer let me do this.  My son got a real nice Sika the first day and took a spike on the last by mistake.  Still cost me the full price for both.  Did not get a close look at any Sika does and they look like dark Fallow does and Fallow's were off limits with a heavty added price for the mistake. Signs of hog all over but did not even hear one.  The guide even came back at night to spot light for hogs.  The price was less than any lease offer I have seen in this part of the state and again my job has a black out on vacation time from Nov. past the holidays.  My son works and a large gun store and shooting range here in Houston.  Place is so busy around hunting season  some times they have a wating list for a bench in the middle of the week.

I have been on one ranch were a fat lazy guide drove us around all day long looking for game,  some of the game thought it was lunch time and would start walking towards the truck because that's how he feed the game.

A second ranch I was on had so many animals that there was not one blade of grass on 1,800 acres.  Must have been more than 30 different types and most of the trophy fees alone made my Sika hunt look cheap. An $8,000.00 Sable comes to mind and they had a maching pair.  Zebra were a mere $4000.00  You could shoot them or they would dart them for you if you wanting your trophy still living.

I have done the day lease and have not seen a thing on one place over 1,000 acres.  Four hunters for four days and one doe was spotted.  So like I said this was the best one I have been on so far.  I earn my money by the hour so the trip was a Christmas gift for the both of us.  I was not trying to sound like an advertisement for the ranch, at least not with out a discount on my next trip.  I had a great time, it had been five years since I hunted last.  I hope to be able to get out there again in the early fall.  The Sika are supposed to bugle a little like Elk. Man do I miss my hunts in the San Juan National Forest in Colorado

=FLASH=
=FLASH=

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 04:06:58 PM »
I think you did fine Flash.

GB...have a look at the free range prices for aoudad..about 7k.  High fence like Indian Head in Del Rio is about $2,500 ++.

I kinda think the prices are reasonable for what you get...I'd like to check them out a bit more as aoudad is an animal that I'd like to take.

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 06:44:17 PM »
I have been on one ranch were a fat lazy guide drove us around all day long looking for game,  some of the game thought it was lunch time and would start walking towards the truck because that's how he feed the game.

Been there done that.  ::)

A second ranch I was on had so many animals that there was not one blade of grass on 1,800 acres.

Been there too.  ::)

I've seen both the good and the bad in the industry. Wish I could afford the best but have never had the kinda money it takes for the YO or Indian Head or 777. They are way outta my league.

I too want an aoudad Doug but honestly don't see me ever being able to afford one. Maybe when we eventually get out to Mark and Teresa's place in TX one will walk by and offer me a shot. Yeah right fat chance of that but I guess ya never know.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 01:25:49 AM »
When I hunted TX in 1995 and 2000, we hunted three ranches each time and the cost of the normal, non-super exotics was around $1,500...fallow, sika, aoudad...blackbuck was $1,000...corsicans (all colors) were $650 for horns under 30" and $1,000 for horns over 30". 

Now...all the deer and aoudad and blackbuck are $1,800-2,500 ...the sheep run $1,000 and up.

Put and takes are cheaper...but...put and take and the trophy quality is...well..catch as catch can.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 03:40:21 AM »
I've not been able to get back to Texas for exotics again since the first half of the '90s when the prices were more like $1200 for a gold medal buck/ram you mention being in the $1500 range later. Corsicans were mostly topping out at $450 and mouflon added another $250-$300 to that.

Even then the absolute best ranches charged more but you could find plenty of really nice animals in those days at those prices.

Time and circumstances have kinda priced me out of the picture on them. I'd still love a black buck but have never taken one cuz I want a full body mount and have never had the bucks to have one done even if I shot the animal. I'd like an aoudad as well. I'd like to take some more fallow and axis but I'm afraid the combination of increasing prices and my limited retirement income are not likely to allow me to pursue those goals.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 07:34:50 AM »
I hear you....loud and clear.  That's why I go to VT for animals that are good, but...many times not as good as a TX ranch where there's more variety.  On the other hand...I can drive there, they provide food and lodging and the animal quality is generally good.  But.....$1500 for a corsican is alot...specially when some of the NY preserves will sell you the same one for half the price...but...you have to be there at the right time or you'll miss out.  I was just totally amazed at the price for free range aoudad...I mean dumbfounded......

Offline Flashole

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 01:31:12 PM »
drdougrx   took a look at you pictures.  Some great looking hogs and the big sika was super nice.
 Seems like some thing changed when I resized the pictures to fit.  This was by far the best thing my son ever took.  He got a nice ram with about one and a half curl on the ranch I talked about driving around all day.  I did not mention there were 6 of us in the truck.  Funny thing is the rams had colored ear tags and the price went up $200.00 with each color change.  A big thunder storm was about to bust lose when this big ram showed up without an ear tag.  It was most likely a $ 1,000.00 ram at this place but some fast talking got him for half.
=FLASH=
=FLASH=

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 02:43:50 PM »
YEAH FLASH....that's a great sika!!!!!  My sika was the SCI #5 for quite awhile, probably lost it's placement by now....I haven't checked, nor am I all that interested anymore.  I would have taken that sika!!!!

Heading to San Antonio next year (in July) and may call them for Aoudad and axis....

Congrats!!!

Offline markc

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 03:05:46 PM »
Flash, that is a very nice Sika!  Congrats on your hunt. Thanks for the info and the pictures.

GB, I haven't seen any Aoudad out there.  I have seen New Zeleand Billies, Mouflon and Axis along with a bunch of whitetail.  Any time you and Faye want to come out just let me know.  I will be working on the new tract during Spring Break in March, marking a 4WD trail down into the draws that I can follow in the dark.  The only way in is pretty steep, but in my Rhino I've had no problem.  Once I get a spot or two set up on that tract, we will have about 4 good spots total.  You and Faye will be more than welcome anytime we can all go out there.  Our cabin is rather small though.  I don't know if you have a camper or not, but my sister and bro-n-law and a friend all pitched a tent out there in the grassy area.  I don't care to sleep in a tent out there though.  I prefer the cabin. 
markc

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
Thanks Mark. Hopefully we'll be able to come visit with ya'll some day. Rat now money is much too tight for such a trip. We don't have a camper and for sure I'd not want to tent camp out there. Maybe if we get to where we can afford the trip we'll be able to rent a camper as well. By the time we can afford the trip you guys might be living out there. :o

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline markc

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 02:49:12 PM »
GB, if we are living out there, then ya'll won't need a camper, you can stay in the hosue with us.  We are thinking along the lines of a larger cabin or travel trailer right now.  We do hope to build on the ranch at some point, hopefully in the next 5 years if possible.  We still have to have power run to the ranch, and then of course the very expensive well will have to be drilled.
markc

Offline Dillohide

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 06:04:55 AM »
Well now you've gone and done it, told every one on the internet what a nice place the West Kerr Ranch is. I was kinda hoping to keep it to myself  :D. We are regulars there. The Kana family are really nice folks. Very hospitable. Ashley and her sister Kelcie do a great job. Ashley should be having her first child pretty soon so may be out of commission for a while. Take it from my experiences with them ... you will never get taken advantage of with these folks. They treat you right.

Offline Flashole

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 12:53:43 AM »
Sorry Dill.  This was the best high fence place we have ever been on.  We were the only hunters there and Kelcie was our guide.   I'm going to try to become a regular also.  Hope to see you out there one day.  My plan is to get out there in the fall and get after a Sika.  I'm all ready tired of my son telling me how great a hunter he is.
=FLASH=

Offline Dillohide

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 04:40:24 AM »
Try out the doe hunt  ;)