Author Topic: CZ versus SIG  (Read 2513 times)

Offline swamphunter

• Trade Count: (0)
CZ versus SIG
« on: March 02, 2010, 04:33:46 AM »
My local dealer has a SIG p226 for $729 Cdn.  A large dealer that can ship has a CZ 75 sp 01 and a CZ 85 Combat for about the same money.  The SIG is made in North America rather than Germany. Does this make a difference in quality; my dealer told me that the German made guns cost about five hundred bucks more.  Are the CZ guns and SIG similar in quality? I see that they are all "hammer" operated DA/SA.  I think I prefer this over the striker fired pistols.  Are the controls similar?  What about getting repairs or parts?  Is aftermarket support similar? (mags, holsters etc).  Finally, do they fit much differently?  I have fairly small hands, and the SIG seemed to fit well.
Thanks boys,
Swamp

Offline Savage

Re: CZ versus SIG
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 04:55:41 AM »
I have owned a 226 and a 220. I traded the 226 away a couple years ago. Both are fine handguns. I currently own an EAA Witness (CZ Clone). I'll just say, that if the Sigs were cheaper, I'd still buy the CZ or Witness. I shoot with several club members that shoot CZs. In my own experience and observations, the CZ is every bit as reliable as the Sigs. The ergonomics of the CZs and clones are the best I've seen in any double stack pistol.
Parts, should you ever need them are readilly available and inexpensive. Holsters readilly availabe. Plus, magazines are cheaper for the CZs. I should add that the CZ/Witness pistols have a manual safety in place of the decocker found on the Sig, that gives you the option of "Cocked & Locked" carry should you be an old 1911/Hi Power man like myself. Add all this to the good price of the CZs and clones, you have one heck of a bargin! I think if you get to handle the CZ and the Sig side by side you'll see what i mean about the ergonomics! Guess you can tell what I like-------------- ;)
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Arizona Jake

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 01:14:26 PM »
I also have a SIG P220 and a Springfield Armory P9 (CZ 75 clone), both in .45 ACP. I have shot both pistols extensively and have complete confifence that either one of them will serve me well if needed.

Pros and Cons:

SIG P220 Pros: Light weight, excellent trigger.
SIG P220 Cons: Limited to 7 rounds in the magazine
This one stays at home

CZ Clone Pros: 10 round magazine capacity, ability to be carried cocked and locked, superior ergonomics (for my large, skinny hands).
CZ Clone Cons: Heavy, creepy trigger pull, bulky.
This one rides with me in my vehicles.

In my humble opinion, it boils down to a matter of taste and personal preference.
Regards,
Joaquin B.:cb2:

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 01:46:28 PM »
I shoot both.
The CZ 75 is a Browning Hi Power clone with inversed rails and double action trigger.  I was shooting one of the IMI baby desert eagles for a little while.  A CZ clone.
Inversing the rails allows you to get your hand higher on the grip alowing for quicker follow up.
Both the CZ and the Sig are very well made.
Personally I like the Sig.  I have won more shoots with my 226 or 229 than any other of my hand guns.  The sig fits me and I shoot it well.
and while the recoil on the CZ is strait ack and there is a little flip with the P226 it is not much and doule taps are usually with in an inch of each other on the target.  i like the controls on the sig and the lack of a safety.  I have also had the P226 the longest of my autos and I am used to the loading and unloading of the gun and think I can do it with out thinking.  I think that is why I win most of the time with the sigs the reloads and getting the gun back into battery are second nature to me.
If it were my $ I would buy the SIG.  American made, great gun, holsters available in every configuration imaginable by most makers, easy to get spare magizines, after market barrels (entended, ported or threaded), grips (wood, Rubber, plastic and even fake Ivory) and a higher resale value.  Not all CZ -75 mags work in all CZ-75's

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 02:10:38 PM »
mc,
First time I've heard anyone call the CZ a Hi Power clone! Just pulled a Hi Power out and did a quick comparison to the Witness. Can't seem to find many similarities, other than the fact that they are both magazine fed semi auto pistols. They appear to be quite different in just about every way otherwise. No matter, I'm quite fond of both!
Savage  
edit: Forgot about the Browning Linkless cam locking system they share.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 03:11:50 PM »
mc,
First time I've heard anyone call the CZ a Hi Power clone! Just pulled a Hi Power out and did a quick comparison to the Witness. Can't seem to find many similarities, other than the fact that they are both magazine fed semi auto pistols. They appear to be quite different in just about every way otherwise. No matter, I'm quite fond of both!
Savage  
edit: Forgot about the Browning Linkless cam locking system they share.
When the 1st CZ 75 were made they were single action and even used the Hi Power magizine. All controls were in the same place, browning long delayed blow back. Brno (CZ) Reversed the rails and made the slide smaller as they had a problem coping the Browning slide Or getting that large of a bar stock after the war or it was the standard bar stock for the TT-33 or something Makarov.  I forget the whole story. 
Once they changed the gun to Double action all bets are off and through the years parts were refined to make use of the latest stamping and technoligy.
Also your Trafalgio ( Witness) is an Itanlian copy of a copy with further refinements.  The Witness had the ability to go from pocket pistol calibers to (32, 380, 9mm, 41 action express, Later 40 S&W, 45ACP and 10mm if I remember right, Maybe not 32 that may have been the Wolf auto) by changing uppers slide assemblies and mags.   Maybe it was only the barrel, spring, It has been a long time since I had a Witness in my hand.  I was going to buy one back in 93 but got moved out of the state before I could complete the transaction. The 10mm will not fit in a standard CZ-75 from CZ and CZ  later came out with a copy of the Witness in the CZ-97 in 45 ACP that they too tweeked.  As I said earlier not all CZ-75 mags work in all CZ-75 as it is one of the most coppied hand guns out there and as everyone copies it they tweek (california word- Never heard it till I moved here) it a little to take advantages of new materials (stainless, polimer, alloys), processes (mill, CNC, Investment cast, molded) as each company gets involved in making them.

Offline Savage

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 03:41:06 PM »
mc,
Thanks for the history lesson! I knew the CZ and HP used the same locking system, but never knew they shared much of anything else. I am fond of the Tanfoglio pistols. I have them in 10mm,w/.40 barrel, 9mm, and .45.  The uppers are interchangeable. I have one lower that I have done a little trigger work on, as well as fabricated a larger paddle on the safety. I frequently shoot either 9mm for Production Class USPSA, or the .40 in Limited, both using the same lower. I really like the ergonomics. That's saying a lot for an old 1911 and Hi Power Shooter. Noting wrong with the Sigs. My P220 isn't going anywhere. Just prefer the CZ platform.
Savage

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 01:01:22 AM »
both good guns. If i were you id try them both and see which operating system you prefer
blue lives matter

Offline rawhidekid

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 01:19:42 AM »
I have owned both the Sig220, 225, and 226 as well as the EAA in 45, 10mil, and 38 Super.  I find the sights shoot right on with the Sigs and I always shoot about an inch low with the Witness.  That said, the only one I still own is the EAA 38 Super.  It just fits my hand the best and adjustable sights fixed the point of aim.  I saw a new in box Match 38Super Witness for $481, won't find a Sig for that. 8)  I almost forgot, my Witness holds 16 rounds and that isn't bad eather. ;D
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 02:33:25 AM »
I also am fond of the arched mainspring housing.
I can shoot both---if you can call what I do shooting :-[.
But, my 1911's, almost to a gun, are arched.
I do love my Sigs though.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline rawhidekid

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 05:50:10 AM »
I have a freind that owns a P220 Sig as well as several other handguns.  You rarely if ever see him practice with the Sig.  I asked him why and he said,"I don't miss with the Sig, I don't need to practice with it." 8)
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman