Author Topic: imported cannons  (Read 1204 times)

Offline murdock

• Trade Count: (0)
imported cannons
« on: March 02, 2010, 12:08:30 PM »
I have been looking at a south america made cannon, I really like the looks of it. But I have heard that you get don"t get them or they donnot have the right import fees or acess, this came from another dealer on his web page. Does anyone have any information or input on this, I would really hate to get tied up for a long time, or loose money on this deal. I guess it goes back to some spooky experence at the Mexico border, they seem to have their own rules that change with each guard. Thanks Murdock

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
Re: imported cannons
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 12:24:13 PM »
Hi Murdock,
Welcome to the board.
Why would you even chance it?  Especially since you are starting out concerned.  There are too many reputable dealers here that you can give your money to with no risk.  They are listed all over this forum and you will know what you are getting.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 12:36:47 PM »
Murdock -

WELCOME to the board! 

What flavor of cannon tickles your fancy?

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline murdock

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 12:53:46 PM »
I really like the carronade, thats what I liked about the import , and hern cannons any suggestions on import, hern or any one. I first saw one on wild imorts, years ago, but now find it in south america looks the same to me.  Thanks

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 01:37:29 PM »
If you want a carronade, and are interested in Hern's, I can recommend them.  They make a good cannon, and no worries about losing your money.

Here's my Hern carronade (5/8 scale - tiles are 18"):

Offline murdock

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 01:45:19 PM »
Does it have a liner and a fuse hole, if not how hard was it to drill and distance from the back part of the barrel and size drilled. Thanks

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 02:24:22 PM »
It comes undrilled, but lined.  you can measure the distance you need to drill by putting a dowel in the bore and marking it at the muzzle.  Then hold it on the outside of the gun, and place your vent where you want it.  It only got a little difficult to drill once you start into the steel liner.  Still not hard, but you'll want a good bit and a strong drill (used a friend's DeWalt, though if you have a press that can accomodate, that would be ideal).  Oh, and it was drilled while sitting in a carriage, so keeping the drill vertical wasn't too hard.

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 04:48:24 PM »
A vent liner would be a good idea.

Offline murdock

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 05:10:35 PM »
Just heard from pro. gatto company in south america, I think all of you are right. You must deposit the money in a bank and that is your guarentee that they cannot get it until they ship it , the price for a golf ball barrel is 1100.00 for steel 1200.00 for brass 1700.00 for complete brass, and 1600.00 for complete steel prices are complete shipping, etc. They were the suppiers for Wildimports. They did seem alittle upset with my questons, about them. Kinda like we are the only manufacter of firearms in Latin America maybe they are and maybe they should be alitte teed off. Just asking questons, would feel better if they had an outlet here in the U.S. Think I will buy made in america U.S. that is. Thanksfor your advice Murdock

Offline Will Bison

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 04:45:15 AM »
Hey Murdock;

Last Summer a friend gave me two Hern guns, half scale Napoleon and a Spanish howitzer. They cleaned up quite nice. The trunions will be a bit out of round but grind easy enough. The vents are a snap to drill. If ya don't mind a few hours work with an angle grinder these are great tubes for the price.

Bill

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 10:26:57 AM »
Gatto gets sensitive about his product, after parting company with his last importer
he became a member of  this site and he may have been a sponsor for a time, there are
several threads here about his product, he was using seamed tubing and casting in brass,
after lots of discussion here on the board he finally decided that he would make the necessary
changes to his product for safety.  He found another person to import these I believe out of
Texas but not have seen much about him since.    

As far as Hern Iron Works barrels go they are a good place to start as you don't have to spend
10,000.00 to get into this hobby,  I have never owned one but have had several friends with them
and they had no complaints, as someone else mentioned a threaded touch hole liner is a must,
this keeps water from cleaning getting in between the sleeve and the iron casting causing corrosion 
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium