Author Topic: Small frame vs Large frame 22 revolvers  (Read 491 times)

Offline Gene R

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Small frame vs Large frame 22 revolvers
« on: March 26, 2010, 03:51:24 AM »
I am waiting on a S&W m617 to come in, but I already have a m63. My question is can I expect the hammer pull to be lighter on the 617 as apposed to the 63?

I also have a Taurus 94 (currently at the factory) and the hammer is really hard to pull on that as well. Is this just typical of small frame 22's reguardless of the manufacture or all 22's?

I also have a single six and the hammer pull is sweet, but it is a single action not DA.

Offline williamlayton

Re: Small frame vs Large frame 22 revolvers
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 04:46:12 AM »
Use should resolve some of the DA trigger concerns but a Smith can resolve them easier and faster.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 04:56:46 AM »
I believe that because of the smaller confines for the lockwork/trigger mechanisms smaller pistols and revolvers require stiffer springs and sharper, steeper angles to the working parts thus making for stiffer, 'clunkier'  triggers than their larger counterparts. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Gene R

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 04:04:18 AM »
The SA trigger pull is fine, it's just the DA and the hammer thats hard. I hear all the time that a hard stiff hammer spring is required for dependablity on rimfire cartriges.

I was just woundering if the larger frames were any better?

Offline Catfish

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 09:32:02 AM »
It`s easy to fix, you just put in a liter hammer spring. Problem there is you get a liter hammer fall and may get miss fires. To get the best possible out of it you have to walk a fine line. Best done by some one with alot of experance, take it to a good smith, and not a Jonny come lately.