Author Topic: bump firing  (Read 1952 times)

Offline Elijah Gunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
bump firing
« on: January 01, 2010, 07:48:41 PM »
Does anyone here have any experience with "bump firing"? I saw some videos of people doing it on youtube. Check out www.poormansmachinegun.com and let me know what you think.
What will you say on Judgement Day?

The BANKERS win every war.

When gardening for food is outlawed, I'll BE an outlaw.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: bump firing
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 02:23:33 AM »
ive played quite a bit with it. Its fun but dont expect to hit anything other then the reloading store when your finished.
blue lives matter

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 02:54:03 AM »
I suppose that could be entertaining, but how constructive would it be?
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 03:55:54 AM »
ive played quite a bit with it. Its fun but dont expect to hit anything other then the reloading store when your finished.

I agree with Lloyd.  It is fun, something different, and it definitely sounds cool, but it gets really pricey in a heartbeat.  When I got my first AR, ammo was still somewhat cheap, but it still got expensive.  Luckily, I have it out of my system now.  If I want to do rapid fire, I set up a bunch of targets at varying distances, and see how fast and accurate I can get shots off

Offline SD Handgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 07:14:57 AM »
I spend way too much time and energy loading my .223 Ammo to do something like that. Yes it would probably be entertaining, but only with someone elses ammo.

Larry

T/C Handguns, one good shot for your moment of truth !

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 03:27:19 PM »
WHY?   For Fun Ok maybe.    But well placed shots are better. Than a whole bunch of shots that don't hit their mark.  Thats why I hunt with single shots and my BP guns alot . You have to make the shot count.
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline jasonprox700

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 04:00:41 PM »
WHY?   For Fun Ok maybe.    But well placed shots are better. Than a whole bunch of shots that don't hit their mark.  Thats why I hunt with single shots and my BP guns alot . You have to make the shot count.

I've never used bump firing for hunting purposes, nor would I ever, or ever recommend it.  It would be unethical.  Yes, well placed shots are better, but sometimes it is fun to send a lot of lead down range at a target.  I don't care if a majority of the bullets miss their mark.  It's for fun, and I almost never do it (mainly because I can't afford to).  If money was no object, I would probably own a full auto lower receiver and I would be doing a lot of mag dumps for the hell of it.  

Rapid fire can be fun, whether you are bump firing, or just plinking at targets as fast as you can.  It really doesn't benefit you as far as hunting, but it's all for fun.  I'll never forgot when I purchased my first AR (I've got 4 now.  They are addicting!).  The first thing my dad said when I stopped over and showed it to him, was "What the hell do you need that thing for?"  Needless to say, after he blasted through a few 30 round mags filled with cheap ammo, he said he completely understood.  I then showed him the accuracy potential with some of my handloads.  He couldn't believe it when I turned in a couple of 1/2" groups.  When ever my shooting buddies and I stop out to the folks' house to shoot, my dad is one of the first ones asking for an AR. 

Offline Elijah Gunn

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 04:16:31 PM »
Most of the youtube  videos I watched, the guys bump firing were doing it by hooking their thumb through the trigger guard and a belt loop on their pants. I'm sure that it is not a very accurate way to shoot. However the guy at poormans machineguns has techniques of bump firing that can be done while shouldering the weapon.
I don't have any high capacity semi-auto weapons, but if I did, this is something I would want to know how to do.
What will you say on Judgement Day?

The BANKERS win every war.

When gardening for food is outlawed, I'll BE an outlaw.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 04:32:08 AM »
I have a range by me that allows rapid fire and full auto if you're licensed. Surprising for Illinois right?

They have a huge pit that you can throw stuff down in, water bottles, stuffed animals, buckets or whatever you'd like to plink at.

It is a lot of fun but does get expensive. I'll usually put a hundred rounds or maybe a little more down there when we go. Which isn't very often, it's a good hour and a half away.

I could never get the hang of bump firing but have seen guys doing it there and it looks like fun.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline kctibs

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 03:04:00 PM »
A friend of mine can bump fire his 1911. It is quite a trick takes lot of practice.  I agree to expensive and not accurate.
"Where liberty dwells, there is my country."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 04:39:08 PM »
I've seen a lot of it on the internet, and I've done it a couple times by accident when firing a 22lr both in a pistol and a rifle.  In both cases I was just trying to plink as fast as I could and my trigger finger must have timed it just right.  It was a surprise, but an interesting one. 

The only real use I see for the kind of bump firing you see on u-tube is just shooting for giggles, but isn't that part of what's fun about shooting?  I buy rifles for accuracy first, and then either hunting or target shooting second.  I have an AR, but I've never bump fired it.  I tend to reload my ammo for the highest level of accuracy I can get and use match bullets for that.  For me, bump firing would eat up all my shooting ammo and cost to much. 

Offline a4beltfed2000

• Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 03:31:18 PM »
BUmp firing is a easy way to get rid of ammo. I have a chinese RPK with a bidpod that when properly bumped will dump the entire drum. By using the bipod on the ground, you can "somewhat" hit your target or at least look good trying ;D AKs are the easist gun to bump fire.
H&R/NEF 10, 12,16 20 28 ,410 .243 45 357 45lc. 1919a4, uzi, sten mK 2,3,5 M2HB, 1917a1, ak74(2) amd 65, RPK (2) 11 aks and 50 other guns....

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 06:16:49 PM »
The bump firing guys at are local range have only succeeded in raising a lot of complaints around our local range.  The neighbors, even the non shooters want the range users to use a little common sense...I agree.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline cankiller

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 02:28:41 PM »
I watched the video and want
 to try it i wonder if the fore grip makes it easerthanks for posting this it is vary interestin.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 02:45:28 PM »
I snapped a 100 round drum into the AK and set it up on the bi pod.  I did this and had a string of cases from the gun to the ground.
I was able to keep it in a 3' X 3' group @ 50 yards.
And al it does is burn through ammo.
I have done it with my Sigs, Buck marks, and P-38  Good luck keeping three of 10 on the target.
While fun it is just a good way to blow off steam and get rid of ammo quickly.
I always called it "roll firing"

Offline Dee

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 03:35:32 PM »
I watched some of it on youtube. I think I'll pass on the bump shootin.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 06:56:59 PM »
Perzackly what the hell is "bump firing". No I've not watched any utube of it and don't really care to, just tell me what is it? I gather from the thread it is some what to fire a semiauto faster than it is intended to be fired but iffen ya can make it go bang-bang with one pull of the trigger ya best not let BATFE see or hear of ya doing it.

I've never understood the fascination some folks have with seeing how fast they can go thru ammo, clearly they've had someone else paying for it too much of their life I guess. I like to hit something when I make the gun go bang.

If I just wanna hear a lot of lound bangs real fast firecrackers are cheaper.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 12:31:42 PM »
If I just wanna hear a lot of lound bangs real fast firecrackers are cheaper.

+1 on that.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline S.S.

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 04:49:20 PM »
hook your thumb in your belt loop put your finger on the trigger
and pull the rifle forward with your off hand. recoil kinda does the rest.
A hellfire trigger is more controlable though
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 06:20:31 AM »

Isn't hellfire what the guys at Waco, TX had?  I don't remember that working out so well for them. 

This kinda thing if not completely illegal is close enough to the line that I don't want to mess with it.  Most of the videos you see are idiots blowing up the dirt 15' in front of their feet.  I don't think it's a safe practice when you can only sort of aim the high power rifle.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 11:40:24 AM »

Isn't hellfire what the guys at Waco, TX had?  I don't remember that working out so well for them. 

This kinda thing if not completely illegal is close enough to the line that I don't want to mess with it. 

Here in Wisconsin a guy was at a gun range and he said he had a malfunction and his AR went into full-auto a couple times.  Maybe he was bump-firing, I don' know.  But he got a felony for it, even after the gun was inspected for modifications and none were present.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 04:17:53 PM »
Quote from: Buckskin link=topic=194245.msg1099061492#msg1099061492 dat=1269553224

Here in Wisconsin a guy was at a gun range and he said he had a malfunction and his AR went into full-auto a couple times.  Maybe he was bump-firing, I don' know.  But he got a felony for it, even after the gun was inspected for modifications and none were present.

That doesn't seem right. 
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 05:02:24 AM »
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Dee

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 05:57:21 AM »
http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=212943

Here is an article about it.

Why hasn't the great NRA stepped in on this? BEFORE the trial, and during the trial?

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 07:48:17 AM »
Not only the NRA But all the other *Pro* Firearm Organizations.   I would think this would be a fight. They would all want to help with.   
If the owner Modified it on Purpose that would be something Diff.  But a Malfunction with a rifle that had a recall??  I think the Manufacturer should be held Liable. If they knew it would Malfunction. They should have tracked them All down. The best they could and fixed the problem.   Just My two cents.
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline kctibs

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2010, 03:56:26 AM »
Quote from: Buckskin link=topic=194245.msg1099061492#msg1099061492 dat=1269553224

That doesn't seem right. 

I bet if the full truth was known there is more to the story than what is being let out.
"Where liberty dwells, there is my country."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Offline S.S.

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 02:16:43 PM »
Yea' hellfire triggers were no match for Tanks with flame throwers
(oops, Teargas projectors) in Waco.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".