Author Topic: Virtical stringing?  (Read 383 times)

Offline backstrap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Virtical stringing?
« on: March 11, 2010, 11:18:33 AM »
If a load is to hot will it virtical string?I shot my stevens 200 in 243 today they where reload 85gr hpbt over 39gr of h380 and they strong virtical. About a inch apart shot 3 times so the total was from the bottum hole to the top hole was about 3 inches,Shot another load 100 bt spitzer 35gr of h380 and it grouped about a inch all in the bullseyes. so why do u think these lighter bullets are stringing bucause they have to much powder or what? thanks for the info
1 shot 1 kill

Offline Catfish

Re: Virtical stringing?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 02:05:24 PM »
Vertical strings are most oftened cause by inconsistant velocities. If the barrel make contact with the stock it can also be caused by barrel heating. Do the bullets start in the same place every time and move in the same direction, or is that just how the group finishes? If they move in the same direction every time it`s probly a heating problem. If not it could be a velocity problem or your gun just don`t like those bullets, or the seating depth or something.

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 03:06:32 PM »
No the first shot will start low the second hits about a inch higher and the third will be a inch higher yet,it must be the stock or the way i was holding it on the sand bags,its funny though the 100 gr bt spitzer all shot in the bullseyes about a inch to a inch in a 1/4 apart which is not to bad of a group,which i think it will get better when i find the powder weight it likes for this bullet, it might just not like the lighter bullets.Thats going to be bad for me because i bought diffrunt bullets and weights,55gr ballistic tip,65gr v-max-and the 85gr hpbt .What i am trying to do is find the powder weight for the heavyer bullets first 100gr and the 85gr,and then i will start on the lighter ones,but i might not need to if it dont like them
1 shot 1 kill

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 03:17:15 PM »
No the first shot will start low the second hits about a inch higher and the third will be a inch higher yet,it must be the stock or the way i was holding it on the sand bags,its funny though the 100 gr bt spitzer all shot in the bullseyes about a inch to a inch in a 1/4 apart which is not to bad of a group,which i think it will get better when i find the powder weight it likes for this bullet, it might just not like the lighter bullets.Thats going to be bad for me because i bought diffrunt bullets and weights,55gr ballistic tip,65gr v-max-and the 85gr hpbt .What i am trying to do is find the powder weight for the heavyer bullets first 100gr and the 85gr,and then i will start on the lighter ones,but i might not need to if it dont like them

I agree it is probably a bedding problem
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten