Author Topic: 45 ACP Loads  (Read 594 times)

Offline Diesel40

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
45 ACP Loads
« on: March 19, 2010, 09:15:23 AM »
Hey guys, I am going to start loading 45 acp for my sprinfield 1911 and was wondering what bullets you recommend I should try to start out with.  I did some searches but didn't really see what i was looking for.  Thanks.

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
Re: 45 ACP Loads
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 09:31:13 AM »
It is hard to beat the standard 230g round nose FMJ AKA Hardball for a beginning loader. Grab some Alliant Power Pistol powder and you'll be set. If you want to go a less expensive route you can choose lead, but it is a bit trickier on the crimp as you can crimp it into the bullet and create a problem. Stick with the FMJ or TMJ and the round nose will feed slick as silk.
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 12:35:38 PM »
If you like to shoot alot, shoot lead.

I use the missouri bullet company's 230gn softball over 5.8 grains of unique.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 02:38:43 PM »
What do you plan on doing with the Gun?   
 This would help with what Grain bullet and profile will work best for you.   If you shoot It every now and then. I would Say go with 230gr Hardball  Over W231 or Unique.  If you shoot a bunch of steel targets then Go with a  230gr SoftBall Over W231 or Bullseye.   If you shoot A Bunch Of mostly Paper Targets then a Nice 200gr Hardcast SWC over Bullseye Or Unique Would be nice.  The SWC makes for a nicer hole in the paper. Or at this point in time, Just load what you can find! 
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 08:26:13 AM »
For my practice loads shooting at paper targets, I use a 200 grain hardcast bullet and 4.6 (four point six) grains of Bullseye. I started out with 4.9 grains but found that the 4.6 grain load was the most accurate in my pistol a Sig P220. The trick is in getting the bullet seated at the proper depth to make it feed without any problems.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 09:35:57 AM »
 My plinking etc load is a Rainier plated RN 200 grn over 5.1 grns of Titegroup.
NRA, Veteran

Offline LHitchcox

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 10:06:18 AM »
My current load is a 200 grain hard cast RNFP and HP 38. Good results. the flat point is the choice, because we load 45 ACP and 45 LC and wanted a bullet that would work in both. The HP 38 was bought at a gun show in an 8# box for $50 simply because it was cheap and worked in several other cartridges. It has worked really well in the 45 ACP, 38 Special, and 9 mm parabellum. BTW, HP 38 is the same as WW231.

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 10:17:25 AM »
From my post above on the seating depth of the 200 grain hardcast bullet to get a more accurate and easier to shoot load, you want to make sure the overall length is 1.250 +or- .005 and use a Taper Crimp die. The Taper Crimp die is what I have found best for consistency, reliability, accuracy and repeatability and it's also easier on the life of the brass.

AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 11:42:47 AM »
200 gr Hornady XTP ( hollow point) over Alliants Bullseye @ 900+ FPS. Accuracy is great at 25 yards and this is my Home defense round for my Mil-Spec Springfield  1911

230 gr Zero Lead round nose over a charge of Winchester 231 @ 800 +/- FPS. This is my load up a ton for alot less then "wally world factory fodder" loading . I load them up and into a 30 cal. ammo can they go till I want to go to the steel range / or in a pinch they will do fine on small game. Accuracy is around 3" @ 25 yards from my Springfield 1911

Middle of the road in cost would be a plated 200-230 gr bullet from Rainier or Berrys etc. with your choice of powder , Great thing is that even if you dont have alot of pistol powder options at your local shop most any you find will have a listing of some sort with one bullet wt. or another for the old 45 ACP ;)

Be safe and happy shooting,

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 03:57:59 PM »
D40

My 1911 Springfield will digest anything I have tried in it my (3) favorite are my own cast 185gr & 200gr Semi-WC  and 230 gr Win Ball I use Unique powder in all.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 03:14:38 AM »
my Colt will shoot and feed 200 gr SWC's(lead) over 5 grs 231 and a WLP primer all day long.......

Offline Diesel40

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 03:24:23 AM »
Thanks for the help.  I guess a little more info would have helped.  I will be doing mostly target shooting, some steel targets.  I shoot about once a month right know.