Author Topic: North American Arms "Earl" 22mag  (Read 2584 times)

Offline 300grJHP

• Trade Count: (0)
North American Arms "Earl" 22mag
« on: January 24, 2010, 04:00:22 AM »
I just purchased a NAA 22Mag "Earl" yesterday for CC.  For those who haven't seen it, it's a pretty cool looking, SA 22Mag with a 4" barrel.  With the longer barrel, its positions itself well in my pocket so that i can just reach in and grab the handle...no fishing around for it.  Also, the profile is so thin, that you can't see it at all in my pocket.

I don't carry often...usually leave my 45 in my car.  I may keep this in my pocket a little more often though.

Oh...at the range yesterday, I could easily keep 40 gr at 1200 fps and 50 gr at 950 fps on a body target at 35 yards.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: North American Arms "Earl" 22mag
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 04:38:42 PM »
If it is something you will carry more of the time then it is perfect.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 04:56:04 PM »
You have what I really wanted, but settled for now for a 22lr derringer.  My "big" gun stays in the vehicle most of the time.  The "little" one is always close at hand.  It sure beats nothing....
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Squib

• G- S- T- and I ain't got time to bleed!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 03:18:24 PM »
think of it as a shank with more punch, that doesn't require a lot of strength or skill to use.  if someone gets you down you can poke that tiny hole in a vital and push them off you- I think a .22 is better than a screwdriver.  also no recoil- if you need to stop a robbery you'll be happy you stung the right guy instead of splattering the wrong one. 

Offline bckskin2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 10:51:58 AM »
Is that the one that looks like a Remington? If so I had thought of one for a "Farm Carry" instead of my single six. Right now I'm looking for a Target Pug in 327. I like the .22 mag, I just want more upm if I have to shoot something bigger than a 'possom. The little .22 mag should be perfect for a pocket carry. I would still carry it over the single six.

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 12:57:09 PM »
I don't have the NAA or the Single Six, but for farm carry, I don't think you could find a better choice in a SA .22 revolver than a Single Six. A good cross draw holster would keep it handy and out of the way while making reliable hits much more certain than with any of the NAAs.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 03:41:17 AM »
The single-six is certainly a fine and versatile revolver but it is a bit heavy for an all-day-every-day kind of gun and certainly requires a good holster for comfortable carry. The little NAA revolvers, even with a 4" barrel and adjustable sights is something you can slip into a pocket and forget it. I sure don't consider them to be an effective weapon for personal defense but I wouldn't consider any .22 to be a good choice for that application.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Savage

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 04:12:10 AM »
No reason to not carry a "farm" gun in a holster. The "Earl" appears to be a stretched out version of the mini. Don't see how it could even be remotely compared to a SS for anything other than discrete carry.  Hardly necessary for a farm gun. I'd wager the SS in a crossdraw holster would be much more comfortable than the Earl carried in a pocket.
Savage

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 04:10:00 AM »
The Earl weighs 8.6 ounces, the single six goes 35, one hell of a difference to me.
Reasons NOT to carry a holstered handgun:
 #1  I hate the weight of a holstered handgun rubbing on my hip bones and the heavier it is the more I hate it.
 #2  The belt holstered handgun is inaccessible under a long coat.
 #3  The belt holstered handgun is a problem if you have to drop trousers in the woods.
 #4  You have to keep changing the handgun around as you add or remove layers of clothing.
 #5  The holstered handgun sticks out and catches on things like gate posts, truck doors, hay bales etc.
 #6  Unless you wear a full flap holster the handgun is subject to lots of dirt and dust, rain and snow.
Actually wear a handgun all day every day and you'll probable think of a few more reasons I've overlooked.
With a half pound revolver you can just drop it into the pocket of whatever you are wearing as an outer garment at the moment and forget it's there.
 Yes it is just a longer barreled version of the mini-revolver. So why is that a bad thing? Personally I'd prefer the "mini-Master" with 4" barrel and adjustable sights. The bull barrel increases the weight to a whopping 10.7 ounces. :o
But again, I'm thinking of plinking, small game and vermin, I'd never consider any .22 for self defense.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 04:23:51 AM »
I think a 22 is a joke for personal protection But if you must there is a good read in the Self Defense magazine on the shelf now . It has a blond lady with a spray on the cover . Anyway they found Winchester HP and CCI small game bullet to be the best choice in ammo . They tested quite a few . In the test they proved a head shot other than in a hole that already existed ie;eve was almost useless , a body shot would kill with time but seldom stopped an attack in time to save you.

If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Savage

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 10:36:30 AM »
Joe,
Being retired LEO, and having carried all my adult life in one capacity or another, I can say I'm totally ok with a 2lb handgun in a good cross draw holster. Can't imagine that to be a showstopper for any healthy adult. Easy to access with either hand in just about any position, even seated. Easily accessible with a long coat by just skipping a button. The butt is well protected in the cross body position, (One of the preferred carries for outdoors) .  I too, am thinking of plinking and vermin. Anything larger would be better addressed with a more approporate calliber.
Savage

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 11:57:27 AM »
I would love to have a farm just too carry anything on---critters wouldn't last long around my place.  ;D ;D ;D :-*
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 01:41:31 PM »

Savage, I can empathize with your position. I worked with cops as an animal control office and one told me his duty belt weighed 15 pounds! I hated the weight of just a radio, pepper spray and collapsible baton. I'm a skinny guy with high hip bones and a leather belt with any weight at all on it is very uncomfortable. I'm sure that over the years you have learned to ignore the discomfort. I find that with the passing years I appreciate comfort more and more. ;D When I do carry a handgun it is either in a shoulder rig or in a pocket. I do have a crossdraw for my 1860 cap&ball but I don't carry it much.

Offline 300grJHP

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 04:22:25 PM »
I'm getting over 1540 fps from the cci 30 gr +v, which is about 175 lbs of energy.

I hope I never have to find out, but I'd think a hot piece of expanding lead in the belly at 1500 fps will change a man's mind quickly.  When I shoot watermelons with this load, they explode.

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 04:05:26 AM »
That sounds about right and indicates that your NAA revolver is set up pretty tight, I get about 200 fps more with that load from my 6" AMT Automag. It wouldn't be my first choice for personal defense but if it's what I had I'd not feel unarmed either.  I chronographed some 40 grain loads from a friends mini-revolver with a barrel of 1 5/8" IIRC and they ran under 1000 fps. That tiny gun was difficult to hold and cock and hopeless to aim, but a 4" barrel, better grip and decent sights makes it an entirely different gun. Even the "Black Widow" with the larger grip, 2" heavy barrel and usable sights is a big step up from the other mini's without much of an increase in size or weight.

Offline bckskin2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 08:20:27 AM »
My complaints with my Single Six as a farm gun besides the weight and size is it's blue. I really need stainless. The hammer is starting to rust. The .22 mag from a handgun is marginal. I have have to shoot coons and possums more than twice. Even with a cross draw it's in the way on my little New Holland TC30. My old Fergie had more hip room. I would still love a .327 or a .357 in stainless even with a shoulder holster. I sure don't want to run up against 2 or more meth makers with a rimfire!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 08:56:03 AM »
I have a TC45 and have the same problem . I just read an article about rual protection and the guy had a holster straped to the ROP on the tractor . Think I will try it .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline jwardiii

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 06:54:20 AM »
I've been thinking the Earl might just be the perfect hiking/woods bumming piece for my area. No bears around here, two-legged vermin fairly scarce too. There's the odd cougar, but I think a .22 mag would be sufficient for them. Would certainly be a little light if a bull got on you. 1 or 2 rounds of CCI shotshells, the rest good JHP's. I can't think of too many scenarios around here that wouldn't be well handled by this little piece. I agree with Coyote on the weight. Kudos to those of you who have no problem toting serious iron. I carry a Taurus Tracker .41 mag. when hiking in bear country (black bears-CO). It's a helluva lot more noticeable than my LCP! Having said all that, I'd probably carry the Earl in a belt holster. There's only room in my pocket for the Ruger.

T
There ain't many problems a man can't fix with 700 dollars and a .30-06.

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 01:40:09 PM »
I bought one of the 1 of 750 NAA .22 magnums with a 2 1/2" barrel.  I usally carry a bigger gun, but I always have that one in my pocket.

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 01:42:20 PM »
Another good reason to carry a tiny gun, some of them, including the NAA's and the little .380's, they are usually easier to carry than a reload for your big gun.  If your main gun gets empty, grab the little one. 

Offline bckskin2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 12:00:25 PM »
If I was going to strap something to mt ROPS it would be a rifle. I've though about it. A NEF in .357 with the barrel shortened to 16 1/2" and receiver sights would be perfect. I think a skinny handgun would still be good for off tractor use. An 80 lbs dog makes a good back up. Keeps 'em busy while I draw and aim. Works with coon and possums. Should work with pole cats