Author Topic: 30-338mag  (Read 1313 times)

Offline roper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
30-338mag
« on: January 20, 2010, 04:49:22 PM »
Well was up gunsmith today and my new 30-338mag should be ready sometime next week.  It's the Fred Huntington (RCBS) off the 338 case neck down to 30 cal and I guess since Rem use to chamber the 40x in 30-338mag maybe it really isn't a wildcat rd.

Rifle was a 30-06 on Rem action had the bolt face open sako extractor installed plus got bolt fluted changed out follower should make nice elk/deer rifle.

Offline shot1

Re: 30-338mag
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 02:30:21 AM »
My buddy had a 30-338 Win mag built on a Win M-70 action with a Heart SS barrel. It was built for shooting 1000 yard Wimbledon Cup type match shooting. The only real difference in it and a 300 Win mag is you have a longer neck to put more bullet pull on the bullet. They shoot the same bullets at pretty much the same velocity. His rifle was a real tack driver though. He sold it to a fellow that wanted it just for bear hunting up north.

Sierra #5 manual has load data for it.

Offline Kurt L

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 05:24:19 PM »
sounds like a great project.
I am working on a mauser 98
308 norma mag.
just made 100 cases from 300 mag
and am ready to do some test loads.
have fun ;D
KURT LGo TO RIFLE RED RYDER SUPER MAG CARBINE

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 09:38:51 AM »
 :D Both, of these calibers had some following when I first started shooting...It was my plan to get one or the other....the .308 Norma was not quite as popular in my area, but a couple guys had the .30-338.....The Win. pretty much put the hurt to both...that was my choice when I finally got my first one about age 21 or 22....one old time I met used the .30-338 for shooting chucks at long range..he used Nosler BTBT in 125 grain..and had the old B & L 6-24 power scopes on each rifle....either one should be a dandy and something not everyone has...Enjoy....

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 07:17:34 PM »
sounds like a great project.
I am working on a mauser 98
308 norma mag.
just made 100 cases from 300 mag
and am ready to do some test loads.
have fun ;D

Your getting a good caliber I kind of kick myself in the 60's had a chance to buy a new Browning in 308 Norma Mag didn't have any cases so had to buy factory ammo to get cases so wasn't a caliber that you could walk into any gun shop and buy ammo.

My first 30-338mag used a 1/12 twist barrel next one used a 1/10 twist and the new one finally may have it right used a 1/11 twist barrel got some Berger 185gr VLD hunting bullets to try if we ever get some good weather.  So now I have 3 of them

Well good luck

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 02:34:38 PM »
 ;) Roper, what actions have you used for these??????How long are the barrels and what do you scope them with.....?????In all my .30's I used a 1-10 twist...never considered anything else....Use these for long range deer hunting????

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 01:24:36 AM »
;) Roper, what actions have you used for these??????How long are the barrels and what do you scope them with.....?????In all my .30's I used a 1-10 twist...never considered anything else....Use these for long range deer hunting????

Wyo.CH alot goes into selection of a barrel IMHO and should be what you want not what someone else think it should be.  As to answering your questions some internet experts want to get into a contest on how much they know  base on their experience and your has been with 1/10 twist barrel.  If your interested there alot of sites to explain barrel twist,barrel length,bore/goove dia,rifling etc.  

Here is a post

Re: 270 WSM or straight 270?
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2009, 05:25:34 AM » Quote Modify 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: nomosendero on March 14, 2009, 09:26:14 PM
Roper

I am asking direct questions, I don't fish for anything but fish. Everyone who frequents this forum knows that. 

As far as twist goes, why go there? I was asking about the 140gr & your velocity. Yes, twist, chamber, type of rifling, etc etc. can & does matter. Never asked about that, but if you want to tell us the whole scoop, that's cool with me.

You seem to be on the defensive when I am only asking you 2 basic questions. I never doubted the vel. you were getting, only interested in what you are using to get there, no one I know would have a problem with answering that, what's the problem?

I would still like to know
1. which powder ? (giving charge weight not desired)
2. what barrel length?

I know you asked direct question and I'm not being defensive in that I'm having a hard time answer because it doesn't relate to the whole reason for the velocity gain.  Since you claim in your own words "Yes, I am aware of those advantages & have seen these vel. increases in a custom rifle a time or 2 myself."  I listed this in my words "The advantage to building is I get to pick how I want it done from bore/groove dia,twist,how many grooves,type rifling,barrel length,chamber and throating"

This is what you want to know in your own words
"1. What powder did you use? (not the charge wt.)
2. Length of barrel?
If a factory rifle of comparable barrel length can get within 100 fps it will be a nice load if accurate"

Your thinking that my barrel will be comparable to a factory 270 if it's the same lenght that what your after plain and simple.

Again this may be hard for you to understand I don't look at the same reason for velocity gains as you do and your only picking things you consider important and again if you build your rifles based on that then answer your own question.  I'm not going into details on my barrel since you don't consider that important.  I sure like to see a list from you on what you consider advantages in building a custom rifle and what barrels did you use for your 270? 

Wyo Coyote Hunter, this is what happens and I made a mistake in listing velocity.

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 09:44:57 AM »
 :-[ roper, sorry to rub salt in an old wound...I probably read the other discussion, but did not remember it...since it seems upsetting to you please disregard my questions on the .30-338