Author Topic: Powder simularites  (Read 302 times)

Offline zacharoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
Powder simularites
« on: March 14, 2010, 03:38:56 AM »
I use Blue dot for some 45LC loads. I have very little of it. Have a lot of HS-7 that bought very cheap lately. I know that the HS-7 is no longer made but have lots of it. How is it that some burn rate charts put these two powders right next to each other? Has aanyone cross used the low side of these powders with good results. I am trying to save as much as possible with tmes like they are. Any help will be appreciated,

Zacharoo

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Powder simularites
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 04:37:30 AM »
Burn rate charts are not intended as a substitute for load data. Don't assume they are. Find published pressure tested load data for the powder you have not one close to it in a burn rate chart.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 06:29:02 AM »
zach

PM coming your way buddy .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline MZ5

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 11:23:58 AM »
I don't know about burn speed comparisons, but I know that Lyman's 49th manual lists a load for HS-7 under jacketed 185s.  Speer #14 lists loads under 250-gr. LSWCs and 250-gr. jacketed, and also under 260-gr. & 300-gr. jacketed at Ruger-only pressures.  Nosler #6 lists HS-7 under 250-gr. jacketed for SAA guns.

All these sources are highly-regarded published, pressure-tested ones, so clearly HS-7 can be put to good use in the 45 LC cartridge.  Hopefully, stimpy's PM to you covers some of the particulars.