Author Topic: bow hunting in the rain & the affects it has on your bow.  (Read 2874 times)

Offline Hunter Fishman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
bow hunting in the rain & the affects it has on your bow.
« on: December 11, 2009, 08:32:30 AM »
1st, with new compound bows, will hunting in the rain do any damage (other than rust) to any part of the bow, string, cam or wheel components, arrow rest?
I know every bow & component is different but speaking from personal experience, have you had any complications while bow hunting in the rain?

2nd. does the moisture on the string noticably affect accuracy, arrow flight & speed?

Offline 257 roberts

• Avid Poster
Re: bow hunting in the rain & the affects it has on your bow.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 10:57:30 AM »
I used to blow my bow off with a air hose when I got home and rewax my string(your arrow will hit low in the rain AND the water might wash away your blood trail,I don't bowhunt in the rain anymore.

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 11:08:12 AM »
I've heard that using feather fletching as apposed to plastic vanes can have some drag affects.  But I haven't done much shooting in the rain.

I have noticed a little tiny bit of rust on my cams.  (2005 bowtech)

If I got it wet I would be sure to towel it off, warm it up and wipe down with some oil ASAP.
Got:
Handi VP 22/410, 410, 20, 17M2, .223, 357MAX, 50cal ML SS w/MU plug

Offline Big Nasty

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
  • Kids that hunt and fish don't steal and deal.
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 04:04:43 AM »
Bow manufacturers take into consideration that a bow is going to get wet if it is hunted with. Just like a gun when you get home take care of it, but I don't recommend soaking it every time you get the chance.
Kansas members forum here. http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,250.0.html

A RULE WITHOUT ENFORCEMENT IS NOT A RULE IT'S JUST A SUGGESTION

<p>[img width= height= alt=martialvsmodern]http://www.myorkutglitter.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/funy.gif[/img]</p>
<a href="http://www.myorkutglitter.com/myglitters/funny-glitters/" title="View all posts in Funny Glitters" rel="category tag">Funny Glitters[/url]  :  <a href="http://www.myorkutglitter

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 12:04:58 AM »
Make sure you wax your string good before you head out in the rain, as a string will pick up weight from getting soked if not waxed.  This will effect noise and arrow speed if your not waxed right.  But personally, I really do not like hunting the rain as I have found less deer movement in the rain as they tend to hold up under bowtines etc.

Now I love hunting after the rain, simply because its a lot quieter in the woods for spot and stalk.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 12:08:12 AM »
Like said above. keep your string waxed. When you come in, take your bow out of the case, so it dont rust.. I love hunting during & after the rain
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline darian barr

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 05:14:38 PM »
we bowfish alot and i have 2pse novas a firebrand and an onieda that get wet constantly the only thing that ive noticed is the hardware is rusting the wet sting is a little slower not noticably 1 of the novas has been fished with for 3 years it needs a new string this year though

Offline Gene R

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 05:38:16 AM »
Use plasti fletching in stead of feathers. You will hit a little low, maybe 2 or 3" hard to say. I've shot several in the rain I do not risk shots over 20-25 yards so 2" doesnt matter, but I would choose my stand carefully, if you loose your blood trail you may loose the deer.