Author Topic: Anyone have info on the 257 STW?  (Read 1201 times)

Offline wpayne

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone have info on the 257 STW?
« on: March 16, 2004, 01:16:00 PM »
In looking at quarterbore wildcats I stumbled upon this article on the 257 STW.. It was called the 257x7mm STW Ferguson Hot Tamale there, in looking for dies I believe it has been shortened to just 25 or 257 STW.

I must say I was intrigued to say the least. I found some reloading data on reloadersnest but none were up to the 4000+ fps claims (with 100gr bullets) of the article above. While reading the info the term "barrel burner" kept going through my head, I haven't found any info on just how bad that problem may be.

Does anyone have any info on this round or other off the wall wildcats?

Offline Arizona Jake

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 04:01:24 AM »
W:

I have a 25-06 Ackley Improved, which I use with Barnes XLC (blue-coated) bullets. Using Winchester brass, Federal 210 Match primers and a maximum SAFE load of RL19, I get 3500 fps.

This cartridge is over-bore, even with the new slow powders available today. I've shot maybe 100 rounds, mostly while fire-forming the brass (from 25-06) and developing the load. Since this is my version of a cross-canyon deer and antelope "death ray" I don't shoot it that often. I expect useful barrel life will be about 1500 shots. For a hunting rifle, that is 2 lifetimes.

In my humble opinion, the .257 STW is very inefficient and would indeed be a barrel burner, leading to extremely short barel life. If you must go the belted magnum route, you would be better served with a .257 Weatherby, which is less over-bore. By the way, my 25-06 Ackley delivers velocities about 50 fps slower than the Weatherby. You can find loading data for the 25-06 AI in the latest Sierra loading manual. :wink:
Joaquin B.:cb2:

Offline Joe Kool

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 11:14:58 PM »
wpayne, I have a Handloader magazine from a few years ago, that has a big article on the 257 STW. I could scan it and email it to you.

Offline wpayne

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 03:22:47 PM »
Quote from: Joe Kool
wpayne, I have a Handloader magazine from a few years ago, that has a big article on the 257 STW. I could scan it and email it to you.

Joe Kool, you have a PM.  Thanks.

Offline Kodiak

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 10:15:54 AM »
Joe,

Could you please tell me which issue of Handloader Mag. the .257 STW article is in? And thank you,  :D  .

I have found this; The original article by L. Simpson was published in Shooting Times Magazine in June of 1998. Those interested in a copy might get it from them.
"The monkey let the hogs out" AK & US