Author Topic: North Texas Outfitters  (Read 1680 times)

Offline huntfamily5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The pursuit of happiness is your responsibility
North Texas Outfitters
« on: February 27, 2010, 03:04:10 AM »
Has anyone ever hunted at the North Texas Outfitters, Chico, TX..... about 1 hour west of Fort Worth, TX?
http://www.ntohunt.com
I will be deployed to Dallas for April and this looks like a good option for exotic hunts.
Any comments are appreciated.

Regards,

Travis
http://www.hunthavensranch.com

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: North Texas Outfitters
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 04:00:33 AM »
Don't know them....sorry!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline huntfamily5

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 04:09:44 AM »
I spoke with them yesterday.  They have a 1200 acre high fenced operation with an internal 300 acre "$250 budget" area.  I think I may go for a nice ibex on the outside.  Then, I will fly my boy in and let him go wild with the AR-15 in the budget area.  They said the budget area is full of basic hogs, rams and goats as well as exotic does.  I would rather go for a big axis but I don't think the antlers will be ready in April.  They said a good 30" ibex would go for about $1500.  What do yout think about that price?  Do you have any pictures of your ibex?  If so can you send them to me?  thanks. 

Travis
huntfamily5@hotmail.com

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 09:13:27 AM »
Some axis are in hard antler year round so if they have enough axis on the place some should be in hard antler. I'd ask as they very well might have what you want at that time of year. With only 1200 acres it's most likely a put and take operation primarily so they will have plenty of time to get one in stock for you if they don't already have one that will be hard antler by then.

As to the ibex based on my own personal experience with Texas ranchers on ibex I'd be real leery. I saw a decent goat once that was fairly wild and appealed to me as I was there looking for catalina anyway. I was told the rancher considered it an ibex even tho it had absolutely no ibex characteristics at all about it. The goat was pure catalina but I was told if I shot it I'd be paying ibex price just the same. Thirty inches doesn't strike me as a real large ibex tho I've not looked in the record book lately to see how they are running.

With ibex the horns should be primarily up and back not very much out to them. Catalina and other feral goat types primarily go out not up and the horn has a totally different shape or character to them. Be darn sure you're getting ibex if you pay ibex pricing. I'd check the record books as well to be sure on size to be sure you are getting a mature animal of trophy proportions at that size.

If it is a real ibex and a good mature one they do make an impression trophy for sure. Just make sure you're not paying ibex pricing for a catalina.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 11:21:28 AM »
Hey Trav!

Sounds like alot of fun!!  $1,500 for an ibex is about right though 30" is generally more like 28 or 29 with uneven horns.  Problem with ibex is ...  there's lots!  Real nubians are more like $4-6k.  A trophy Ibex starts at 35"....well...that's the magic number.  Hybrid ibex have a category in the SCI record book...mine is a silver medal and is in about the middle, though I don't remember anymore and scoring has become a way for me to judge trophy size even though I probably won't register animals for the book anymore.  Anyway...a hybrid ibex is a mix of catalina and some pure species.   Goats heavy of the ibex side will have circular shaped horns with a little flaring at the tips.  Flaired horns near the bases means they are more catalina than Ibex.  Also, there should be a shoulder band around the animal.  Here are a few pics of mine, which measures at 35" per side and is a cross, but really heavy of the ibex side with negligible flairing at the tips.  I paid $1,000 for mine in 1995.  The going rate at the YO Ranch at the time for the same animal was $1,500.

This one was mounted at the YO Ranch Hotel in Kerreville TX.

Here's mine just before I shot him and a couple of 28-30"ers just in front of him.

Here's after (obviously!)

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline huntfamily5

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 10:44:09 AM »
Hey Dr, Thanks for the reply.  I took your advice and discussed nubian characteristics with them.  They were honest and said that their ibex had minimal nubian characteristics and I would be better off hunting someting else.  So thanks for the pictures of the ibex, but I have settled on a scimitar horned oryx.  They are going to set me up a $2000 package with a 34-36" horned animal.  I think this is decent from my research.  I know you have an oryx mounted.... if you do cold you send me a picture.  I am exploring how much to turn the neck on the mount.  Thanks.

Travis

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 12:08:21 PM »
 :D Good luck on your trip...you might look into European mounts...they are much cheaper, easier to move, and to me just as nice, especially if accompanied with a nice photo...often the mt. can cost as much as the hunt...Year ago, I hunt a bunch near Mt. Home, Tx. With Mt. Home Hunting Services...got some really good hunts there, but I think the owner, David Lee, may have retired..the prices seem fair considering the years that have passed...After a few hunts, we often took cull bucks at a much lower cost...still had some horns, but just not as big...

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 12:25:44 PM »
Hey Travis,

I actually don't have an oryx....yet!!  And 2k is pretty good for a 34-36" oryx.  Most places they cost 2800 - 3500.  Make sure you post pics!!

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 03:19:36 PM »
Travis,

Sorry for jumping in here a bit late. Don and Paul are good folks, accommodations at NTO are comfortable, and they work hard to make you happy. I think the place is a little small for spot and stalk hunting for more experienced hunters, but is large enough with plenty of cover to make still hunting a challenge. I hunted there when I first started out and it was fun. If I go back it will probably be to hunt their outback area for exotic does (we love Axis meat).
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline huntfamily5

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 10:55:37 AM »
Here is a picture of the 36" Scimitar Horned Oryx that I shot on 4/10/2010 at the North Texas Outfitters, Chico, TX.  He was about 50 yards and I tokk him with my Nikon topped Smith and Wesson AR-15.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 03:10:22 PM »
Very nice oryx Travis!!!  Good job.