Author Topic: Hunting Scrapes and Rubs?  (Read 781 times)

Offline THE#1hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Hunting Scrapes and Rubs?
« on: November 18, 2003, 12:34:58 PM »
I was just about to post a topic similar to this nature...Becaue I was walking around in the woods, and I found a huge rub, and not ten feet away, i found a huge scrape....Pa rifle in a few weeks, and I was wondering how far away I should hunt set up a stand?(there is also two big deer paths.....huge.....) Thanks in advance :D
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 06:09:42 PM »
I hunt the food sources or travel routes. Don't concern myself too much with whether there are rubs or scrapes nearby. I do like a rub line nearby but it won't determine where I hunt. During the rut hunt the does and the bucks will find you. Now I hunt woods with no fields involved. Might be different if fields are in your hunting area. They aren't in mine.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 03:53:04 AM »
I guess i have my stand in a good place.
When I put it there I had only a small rub and a scrape. the other day when I came back to hunt Ifound 2 active scrapes  in a stright line and more rubs then I can count all around me 2 of the rubs are with in spitting distance of my stand (and the stand was there when the buck made them)

the place i am hunting is a bout 100 yards wide and 500 yards long and very very very thick with woods, briars and vines. I have a "road" that is cut from top to bottom. on the top of the strip is a grass field then beside the grass is a cut corn field with lots of corn still on the ground. on the bottom is another 100 yard widestrip  of grass then a patch of thick woods that is about 20 yards wide and on the very fair side is a nice pond
behind my stand is a lot of funnels from hills and valleys that all lead to a small stream that is only 20 yards away in front of me is the thick stuf

so I got food, water, cover, beadding, and a walk way all  me.

Offline dbuz

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2003, 03:02:59 AM »
I hunted on a scrape one year and had an 8 pt. come out of the fog with his nose to the ground. He then looked up when I was pulling on my bow string. I froze and he stared for a couple of seconds and disappeared into the fog. The scrape was very fresh because it had fresh droppings in it. Other scrapes I have hunted without droppings have had no results. The only other scrape i have seen with fresh droppings was a couple of years ago on closing day. :evil:
If you can earn it, why did He have to die?

Offline grouper sandwich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://members.fishingworks.com/groupersandwich/
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2003, 12:56:15 PM »
I killed a buck on Saturday as he nosed towards a scrape.  I set my stand up 15 yards from a trail coming from planted pines and heading across a pipeline and into a clearcut.  The stand was in the last row of pines at the edge of the pipeline.  The scrape was under a small hardwood barely into the clearcut and across the pipeline.  He entered the pipeline from behind me and to my right, headed for the scrape and caught 100 grains of core-lokt from a 25-06 in the wheel house as he made his final approach to the scrape. :wink:

Offline dbuz

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2003, 02:09:11 PM »
Congradulations. I hope I can find some good signs on the new hunting club land I hunt.
If you can earn it, why did He have to die?