Author Topic: Can't Wait To Maximize!  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Can't Wait To Maximize!
« on: March 18, 2010, 02:53:51 PM »
Got myself on the list for the .357 maximum reamer last weekend. .357 Maxi brass and 187gr. CPB bullets should be delivered by this weekend. I already have the extractor removed from my barrel and a can of cutting oil standing next to it. The standard Handi-Rifle stock that came on this Talo Special Edition has undergone a transformation and is now a straight grip with more of a blond finish. I used a cherry stain with two coats of Tru-oil and several coats of tung oil. sanded with 600 grit wet and dry between the first few coats and 0000 steel wool for the last few coats. Should be a good looking Handi when it's all back together.
I did read the FAQ pertaining to reaming the chamber, but have one question. It says that you stop removing metal with the reamer, when it is at .357 mags. original rim. What exactly is meant by "the rim"? Is that referring to where the rim of the case normally sits into the chamber?
Don 

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
Re: Can't Wait To Maximize!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 03:19:59 PM »
Yes,that is the meaning of the "rim"   a lot of guys use a magic marker in the rim cut and when the reamer touches , stop.       Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 04:22:03 PM »
That means to stop when the rim cutter touches the existing rim cut, if you don't, it will increase headspace. On the last one I did, I used whiteout typing correction fluid, it's real easy to when the cutter hits it.

The reamer went in the mail to cutshurt today, OSOK is next unless aflineman gets a mailing address to me,  then you're up Don.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 04:53:15 PM »
Got myself on the list for the .357 maximum reamer last weekend. .357 Maxi brass and 187gr. CPB bullets should be delivered by this weekend. I already have the extractor removed from my barrel and a can of cutting oil standing next to it. The standard Handi-Rifle stock that came on this Talo Special Edition has undergone a transformation and is now a straight grip with more of a blond finish. I used a cherry stain with two coats of Tru-oil and several coats of tung oil. sanded with 600 grit wet and dry between the first few coats and 0000 steel wool for the last few coats. Should be a good looking Handi when it's all back together.
I did read the FAQ pertaining to reaming the chamber, but have one question. It says that you stop removing metal with the reamer, when it is at .357 mags. original rim. What exactly is meant by "the rim"? Is that referring to where the rim of the case normally sits into the chamber?
Don  
You're going to love it.  I'm very happy with mine.  The boys shot it tonight with some 38 special wadcutters and also some pretty warm 158 gr Maxies...neat gun.

LM
LAZERMULE

If I would have asked the people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse....-Henry Ford

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 05:32:29 PM »
Big Blue can you post some pics of the Stock? That is what I am wanting to do with mine.
Does anyone have a Max case I could borrow to check the headspace? Down here in the Natural State, when you say .357 Maximum, people just stare at you like you're smokin' a dog turd.
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 06:34:21 PM »
A Max case comes with the reamer, just be sure to return it with the reamer for the next guy.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 07:08:06 PM »
OK Tim, I will. Thanks!
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 01:48:52 AM »
Thanks for the update Tim. I'm just making sure all my ducks are in a line so I can give you a quick turn around on the reamer. I'm hoping to do it the same day I get the reamer and have it right back in the mail for the next guy.
I have to think you would get quite a few sideways glances and eye rolls even from gun shop counter people if you brought up the subject of a .357 Maximum. I'd be willing to bet most would respond by saying, "don't you mean magnum?"
I checked online and my cases and bullets should be at my door today.
I'll try to get a photo of the stock up here today.
Don

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 03:28:29 AM »
Here's how the stock turned out after removing the pistol grip and refinishing.
Don

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 04:31:24 AM »
Looks good Don, I went the other way I had an extra stock that was I think its called a montycarlo [sp] took the big hump out of it and now it dosent hit my ear muffs when at the range.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 05:54:00 AM »
Looks great, how tough was it to do?

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 03:28:35 PM »
Looks great, how tough was it to do?
I used a saw to first remove the pistol grip area and then just sanded it down with a 1/4 sheet orbital sander. It would have been a lot quicker with a bench mounted belt sander for the heavy sanding. Finish sanding is still something that needs to be done by hand. I stripped it with Citri-strip and did the cutting and sanding one day. The finish took another two because of the wait between coats.
Don

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 06:19:33 PM »

Big Blue I bet you will be a happy camper when you get your
 357 reamed, i have never heard of one that wasn't happy.
 I was along time ago ;D :D
 Marv.