Author Topic: What is an SB1 Ultra Varmint really worth?  (Read 418 times)

Offline taylorce1

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
What is an SB1 Ultra Varmint really worth?
« on: March 18, 2010, 12:22:33 PM »
I'm looking at another SB1 UV in .223.  I've got one I bought new back in 1996 that has been a great shooter.  It looks almost exactly like mine just that his laminate stock is a litte darker in color.  I'm guessing more than likely it will be a 1:12 twist which I don't have any problems with 55 grains or below in mine.  It is an ejector barrel guy is asking $250 OBO and it has a cheap scope BSA IIRC.

I'm figuring about:

Barrel $90-100
Frame $50 tops
Stock $40-45
Scope and rings $30

Am I in the ball park?

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
Re: What is an SB1 Ultra Varmint really worth?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 12:36:45 PM »
 I didn't know they could put a .223 barrel on a SB1 receiver? I am pretty sure that is a no no. You may want to check that out.
If it is SB1 quit shooting it. It will blow your receiver.
Lonny

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 01:57:53 PM »
There's no such thing as an SB1 223, if it's been shot on that frame, I wouldn't give anything for it, cast iron isn't meant for that kinda of pressure which is in the neighborhood of 55kpsi. If it's a typo and is an SB2 rifle frame, they normally would sell for around $75 if it was made before 2000, modern SB2s usually sell for a bit more. You can find selling prices in the classifieds, we don't remove listings after they sell so members like yourself can price their goods.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline taylorce1

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 03:18:59 PM »
Well I'm wrong it isn't an SB1 it is a K prefix same as the one I already own in .223.  I just remembered calling H&R and they refused to put a .204 Ruger barrel on my frame a couple of years ago.  I guess if I would have checked the FAQ's again I would have seen this.   :-[

I was just wondering really if it is worth investing in another frame like this one.  One that I can't put a different barrel on by sending it back to H&R. 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 04:17:54 PM »
The only rifle barrels they'll fit to any SB2 rifle frame made 1996-1999 are 357 and 44mags, they'll fit other rifle barrels that don't have the asterisk *  by them on the accessory barrel list, which means they're high pressure chamberings, (except the 45LC barrel) to those older SB2 frames made '87-'95.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain