Author Topic: What type of miniature cannon is this?  (Read 2913 times)

Offline Elizabeth

• Trade Count: (0)
What type of miniature cannon is this?
« on: March 18, 2010, 07:32:37 AM »
Hi, folks. New to the forum, but looks very interesting!

I hope I'm posting this in the right catagory, but please let me know if not.

I was wondering if anyone might know what type of cannon this miniature cannon is modeled after?  I'm learning about them, and have looked around on the Internet, but still don't know.  I'm pretty knowledgable about the Civil War, and even thought I've found similar miniature cannons described as a Civil War cannon, I thought they had spoked wheels.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks very much.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
Re: What type of miniature cannon is this?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 07:45:46 AM »
if it's on ebay... don't buy it, if you want to make a realistic model cannon ...trash it........and if you want a bit of cannon cred...forget it.     ooooo  and welcome to the Forum.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 07:56:31 AM »

Hello and welcome to the forum!

This is a toy cannon, it is designed to fire caps, it is loosly patterened after cannons from teh 1700's
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Elizabeth

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 08:02:15 AM »
Thanks for the welcome. :)

So, I take it you don't know what type it is, Kabar2?  ;)

Thanks for the info, carronader.  That's exactly what I was looking for.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 08:33:23 AM »
Weclome to the board . This is the place to learn....!
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 09:21:58 AM »
Welcome to the board Elizabeth.

In terms of the civil war cannons with spoked wheels that would be because they are mounted on a field carriage.  That would be a carriage for land use.

The carriage in the pic you posted is a naval carriage used aboard ships.

Offline Elizabeth

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 09:36:09 AM »
Thanks, again, for the welcomes, and thanks for the additional information, brokenpole.  I thought, based on what I found on the Internet, that it might be a Naval type cannon, but wasn't sure.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 10:55:25 AM »
first of all , welcome here
nice to have a lady here

the tube is a free fantasy of maybe a 1700 cannon, difficult to say as it doesnt have any similarities with a real cannon , except for length and diameter proportions

the carriage could be for naval or fortress use

but still its a fun toy
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline pyro13

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 11:19:34 AM »
Elizabeth, welcome. I actually have this exact same cannon, which I have had since I was a kid. It was made in italy and shoots caps. As others have said it is loosely modeled on a naval carrrage, but VERY loosely
Russ

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 11:38:09 AM »
Welcome, Elizabeth. As KABAR said, these are cap firing toys. When I was a kid I had a naval gun like the one you posted photos of, and also a field gun version, both of which used the same exact pot metal barrels. Mine were made in Italy, (this was from a time long past, when everything imported into our Country didn't come from China) and you can turn the knurled ring (counter clockwise) on the closed end of the barrel to remove the striker & spring mechanism. A plastic cup cap was placed on a nipple at the end of the striker, and when the ball was pulled back and released the cap would explode.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Elizabeth

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 01:09:15 PM »
Hey, you guys are great!  :)  Thanks so much for all the information.  As soon as I have a bit more time, I'll introduce myself properly and peruse all the different (!) forums.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 04:29:29 PM »
Elizabeth -

WELCOME to the forum!  When you get a chance, we'd love to see some pictures of what you like to shoot!  Smoke and fire!

And if you're not yet at that point of addiction, we'll help you.   ;D

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline MikeR C

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 08:03:50 PM »
Elizabeth,
BoomJ is right about a small pot-metal naval cannon made in Italy. It was made to shoot caps, is all cast and the wheels do not turn. The following pic is an example of the carraige:

I turned a new barrel, .177 - BB gun caliber, in high school no less. My how things change :) Yours, however, appears to be made from wood, it is possible someone rebuilt it after removing the metal parts. I haven't seen an example of the capgun out of wood.

There was a plastic kit that is very similar to this style of carraige, a photo of the box:

Popular mechanics had a set of plans of the same naval carraige, which I have, and I combined the toy, plastic model, and plans into this:

Canadian cannon works sells a 1/10th size model with the same kind of carraige that can be seen here:

http://www.brasswithclass.com/carriage_man_of_war.php

I talked to Canadian Cannon works and their carraige is copied from the Popular mechanics plans. For as many examples of this carriage in models, no one has ever come up with a picture, drawing, or any example of a full size example. Very sad 'cause I really like the style. Oh well.
Hope you find this of some use,
MikeR C

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Mike RC
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 08:12:24 PM »
Beautiful work .  I'm impressed and in awe of all of the craftsmen who frequent this board.

Never had the attention span to do that level of detail or quality .

My model airplanes flew , Then crashed . My toy's all died a hard death in the sand pile /dirt . :(  :'(
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline lance

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 04:58:10 PM »
Hi Elizabeth, what's your favorite Civil War cannon?
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 05:24:27 PM »
Elizabeth , I dont mean to hijack your thread .....but I will  ;D sorry .

I have to ask ..? WHAT IN THE HECK DO THOSE RATCHET THINYAGES DO ?

I suspect a cam ? but I havent ever seen a print with one . I only ask because I never knew ,and very soon I will need to decide on a navel carriage of 1660 vintage .

I own a cheap navel carriage with a vestige of a ratchet but it doesnt do anything .

Maybe raise the barral then place the quion under the base ring for firing ?
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 07:03:19 PM »
Rocklock,
Like Mike has already said, I've only seen this ratchet arrangement used on model naval carriages, never on the real thing, nor on any drawings or plans for a real carriage. I think what the device is meant to do is hold the barrel down (by a rope around the cascabel) tautly against the quoin so it doesn't jump and bounce when fired. My own opinion is that somewhere along the line, some industrious model maker came up with this idea after reading about how naval guns (especially when barrels with trunnions below the center-line of the bore were used) bashed the quoins when fired. 

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline MikeR C

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 07:18:08 PM »
The plastic model includes a piece of rope to be wound around the axel of the ratchets. it would hold the breech end of the barrel down against the quoin, however it would not do a very good job of it as the leverage is wrong.
With a lot of preponderance it might make sense to have the ratchet pull the quoin in, but neither the plastic model nor the PM plans bear this out.
I really want this to be a "real" cannon but I have to admit I have never seen anything even close to an original like it. I like it 'cause it is "gadgetity", more parts to fabricate!

Thx
MikeR C

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 08:32:38 PM »
MikeR C,
There are two Italian model companies which haven't been mentioned that made/make versions of this type of naval gun and carriage; Pocher and (Mantua still makes the kits) Mantua Model. These are small non-firing models, but they're good quality models with turned brass barrels and mahogany carriages. I had a Mantua Model "American Coast Cannon" made from a kit when I was a kid, and I agree with you that the ratchet device doesn't seem like it would be all that efficient at holding the barrel down.

American Coast Cannon by Mantua
Category : cannons and weapons
33.00€ VAT Incl. Shipment not included*Shipment is free only for Delivery in France above 100 euros. Yet Quirao does deliver worldwide. For all other countries, you can see the shipment fees if you add the product to your basket and select a country of delivery.
(Receive also a Discount Voucher of 2€)
"This Small Cannon was influential in the defence of the eastern coasts of the USA for more than thirty years. Easy to handle, this cannon was ideal for gunnery training and could fire a high volume of explosive balls."  What an accurate grasp of history, the writer of this blurb has. :D

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 08:23:28 AM »
A year or so back we had a discussion going about this ratchet arrangement
to date as has been said no actual cannon carriages or drawings have come
to light, I still think this is a fantasy design.   
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium