Author Topic: Uberti "Frontier" model 51 navy .36  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Cactus Cris

• Trade Count: (0)
Uberti "Frontier" model 51 navy .36
« on: August 05, 2003, 04:56:27 PM »
Anyone here have one or have seen one?  Hear tell that it has a 5 1/2" barrel, steel frame and  German silver grip frame.  Got 2 coming my way via UPS.   :-D  :grin:
Cactus Cris  SASS 2790  Darkside Posse, Cart maker, Corral Keeper, Gpa of 6

Offline Flint

frontier
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 10:33:04 AM »
Don't have one, but have several Uberti 51's and 61's.  They are about as good as it gets in percussion Italian guns.  Got a 51 and 61 set up with Kirst 38 cylinder conversions.  That may be a very good idea for the short 51.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline MOGorilla

• Avid Poster
Uberti "Frontier" model 51 navy .
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2003, 02:07:49 AM »
Let us know what they are like.  I looked on the Uberti site and didn't see anything abou them, but I AM REAL INTERESTED!!!!!   I know Pietta is making a 1860, .44 witha 5 1/2" barrel.  I am currently trying to diet my big frame down to a medium and when I reach a certain poundage, I am treating myself to one of these, but if Uberti has a 5 1/2" 51 in .36 I may have to reevaluate.   I love the octagon barrel, but am striving more and more to historical accuracy and am staying away from the 51s in .44.  Let us all know how they are and where you got them.

"Ya goin' to pull those pistols, or whistle dixie?"

Offline Cactus Cris

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2003, 01:21:40 PM »
Had a chance to clean them up ( Olive oil or whatever is all over them) and test the nipples for size.  A #10 cap falls off every one -10 .  Ordered 10 Treso nipples from Thunder Ridge to replace them.  They are very tight and seem to be right dead on for lockup and timing.  Will be taking them out to play this week end with my meager supply of #10 caps, pinch them on, and will report back on results.
  BTW-- Got them from Navy Arms.  Great place to do business with. :grin:

Offline Cactus Cris

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2003, 06:25:24 PM »
Tried them out today.  Overall a very good pair.  One big problem-- Nipples on both were too small even for CCI #10 caps.   On one, 2 nipples were short and all 6 on the other, had to turn out 1/2 turn just to make them go off.  Am getting Treso nipples and they should fix this problem.
  Best load was Pyro P 21.5 gr (equiv) with a .375 rnd ball.  1 ragged hole at 10 yds.  Tried 4 other types-Ele, Goex, Swiss, and dUPONT(OLD POWDER) all 3f.  These were either high or low but 1 ragged hole.  Will try 22-25 gr load with the real BP after I get the new nipples.
  One has a fairly big gap betwix the cylinder-barrel but didn't seem to bother the acc.  The guy next to me at the range didn't like it. :wink:
  If yer looking for "out-of-the box" competion ready units these ain't it.  BUT with a little tweaking they will become a very nice C&B unit.  Well worth the $$. :grin:

Got the Treso nipples in the mail today and installed them.  What a big difference!  #11 Remi caps stay on and go the first time.  Tried 18.5 ELE 3f and was elated.  POA at 10 yds and group size about 2" all holes touching.  Think I got a pair now!! :-D  :-D

Offline Cactus Cris

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2003, 03:18:08 PM »
See above for update! :-D

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2003, 03:35:16 PM »
CC are you going to fill the slot the hammer goes through and slim the hammer down? I think I will do that to my piettas as part of my slick up. I got some holsters for mine now and maybe I will get to fixing them up a little sooner than this winter. I am going to have to get a mold too. What is it .375 for mine? :-)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA

Offline Cactus Cris

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2003, 03:46:31 PM »
Howdy- if yer shooting a .36 then a .375 is what I use.  Some folks use a .380, but I didn't want to have to ram that much more down what with the short lever in my 5 1/2" barrel.  I use a cheater bar ( hollow'd out brass rod) to make up for the short lever.  Works real nice.  Don't need it for the 7" ones.  Love them Treso nipples.  Well worth the $2.00 ea.  All the same size and length. :grin:
  Not gonna do the mod to the hammer and shield.  Too much hastle IMHO.  Should work without it.  If the cap/nipple are matched right, they should go OK.

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2003, 11:25:57 AM »
C.C. so let me see if I have this straight now. I have a new pair of .36 navys and I am going to eventually slick them up and shoot them. I plan on brazing my slots . If I get Treso nipples will I be able to use #10 rem caps like I do on all my other C&Bs? Should I get a mold for .380 since mine are 7 1/2s?
Should I bob mine to 5 1/2? I am planning a winter project of this and I am not afraid of machining.
Maybe I should do a road trip down to your place and try yours out first. Just funnin' at the price of gas these days I have to plan ahead and car pool just to go grocery shopping.  :)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Offline Cactus Cris

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2003, 11:49:50 AM »
Howdy-  If you nothing else-- Get the Treso nipples.  The .375 mold works just fine. :grin:

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2003, 12:12:52 PM »
CC who did you get the Treso nipples from? Midsouth?
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Offline Cactus Cris

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2003, 12:40:01 PM »
Will send ya a linc.  Thunder Ridge is the name.

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2003, 01:47:25 PM »
Thanks pard and for the email link too.   :-D
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Offline Cactus Cris

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2003, 06:15:37 PM »
Up date on the 51's.  
  Shot @ACSA today & used the 51's with the Treso nipples.  40 rnds thru them without so much as a sneeze.  They went off first time every time.  I am now SOLD on the Treso brand nipples and Thunder Ridge CO.
  Had 1 miss with them BUT it was due to shooting one stage Gunfighter and missed a lefthanded shot.  Sure was fun tho! :-D   Might just shoot GF with them next time.  C&B BP Gun fighter.  Yes!! 8)  :grin:

Offline Cactus Cris

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2003, 06:29:13 AM »
Marsh- Just tried the web site & it came right up. :grin:

Offline Super Rat

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2003, 07:14:27 AM »
Has anyone tried 777 in the revolvers?

I recently picked up a the nicest Uberti .36 Navy and it sure do shoot nice. The funny thing is that 777 compresses quite a bit, so you can fill the chamber to the brim, and the ball will still seat below the face of the cylinder. In other words, not only is 777 hotter than black, but you can get more of it in the cylinder.

Yes, it certainly does "magnumtize" it, and next to my 1860 .45, loaded with BP, it seems like the more powerful gun, snorts louder and kicks harder.

For normal shooting I don't use that much, but when I black powder hunt, and carry the pistol for back-up, it's nice to have the hot load in it. It's also possilbe that the Colt's would not like such a compressed load of T7, might batter the wedges or strain the cylinder pin, I don't know.
Brown Bess .75 calibre carbine, .62 calibre Jaeger, .58 Calibre slug gun.